SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Musicians -- How Do You Carry Your Gear?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Musicians -- How Do You Carry Your Gear? Login/Join 
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted
I am needing a suitable bag for two Shure microphones, two 25 foot XLR cables, and a binder with charts. Sounds like a backpack, I know. But, I also have a small bag with a microphone stand -- small diameter, long, with handle. And, a small bag with a folded up music stand. And, a small bag with a folded up fiddle stand. So, I look like a bag lady. How are you all carrying multiple long objects, mikes, cables, and music?

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
I'd use two duffles. A small zippered bag, like a Craftsman electric drill bag, then a bigger sling bag, like the ones that come with folding camp chairs.

Being something of a bag and pack hoarder, I've got canvas bags of all sizes. Even one with a plastic base and casters you could put a body into, which came from a big artificial Christmas tree.

In my small zippered bag are a couple 4" square Corian samples. Useful to shim a keyboard stand or speaker on occasion. Then an orange 25' grounded extension cord with straight-pattern 3-way end (not the T-end). It has a velcro tie on it and is set up for ten feet of use, which is typical. Then a spare speaker cable (different from a ¼" instrument patch cable), a spare XLR cable, then the cables I use, which are two ¼" patch cables and one XLR. Gaff tape on top. Microphone, I always borrow. Wink

The key difference between instrument and speaker cables are instrument cables are shielded with much smaller wires and speaker cables are unshielded with larger wire gauges. ... Shielding surrounds the signal wire in and “shields” it, reducing interference from other electronics and radio signals nearby.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Guitar players. Hard shell cases are your friend. A buddy of mine left his guitar leaning up against the bumper and ran it over. Screwed up the case but the instrument was not damaged.

Posts: 7506 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Karmanator
Picture of Chance
posted Hide Post
I have my roadie carry in my gear. Smile

I only play acoustic out so it is pretty much just my guitar in a case and maybe a microphone. My buddy brings his PA.

Posts: 3276 | Registered: December 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I have a hard case of each of my guitars except for the Gretsch

I just never travel with it - even though it will fit in the case for my Martin

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53085 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Long, long ago, three road managers and a BF truck. Any idea what a Hammond B3 weighs?

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20302 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The air above the din
Picture of Aquilon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
I am needing a suitable bag for two Shure microphones, two 25 foot XLR cables, and a binder with charts. Sounds like a backpack, I know. But, I also have a small bag with a microphone stand -- small diameter, long, with handle. And, a small bag with a folded up music stand. And, a small bag with a folded up fiddle stand. So, I look like a bag lady. How are you all carrying multiple long objects, mikes, cables, and music?

In the past I used a big canvas tool bag. No idea exactly what brand or size, but it was similar to this thing here.

Outgrew that and switched to larger hard plastic tool box, something like this.

Do yourself another favor - ditch the binder with charts and switch to an iPad or tablet for your music. Get a spare mic stand and then go design yourself a RAM Mount setup to hold your tablet.

Posts: 965 | Location: Virginia | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
Yes, same here. A couple of duffles for pedals, cables, mike boxes. Longer stuff like mike stands and booms just gets stashed together for the trip, and then carried in by band members, along with drum hardware.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Thanks for input, everyone.

I may have to find a groupie. Or roadie. I mean, I am the fiddler for a bluegrass band now. Do you want my autograph?

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slappin' dat Bass!
Picture of bassman
posted Hide Post
Get a drum hardware bag (for cymbal stands) with wheels. Put your gear in and drag it behind you.

Posts: 1630 | Registered: November 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
I may have to find a groupie. Or roadie.

No offense intended to any particular musicians; I've been playing bass lines on keyboard for years in a reggae/ska duo. And am followed by rats and mice, a cat, and several unavailable women who nevertheless process their love ...

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Tenba make long bags of various sizes good for tripods and the like. I use a couple for a telescope and tripod.

Here's a link to some on Amazon

Amazon Tenba tripod bags

This is the one I use for a Takahashi refractor, as it provide a semi-rigid case with more protection. Available in various lengths 34 to 51 inches.

Tenba Tri-Pak case

Posts: 18016 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Really? Two mics an some cables? Get a sack from Safeway.
When you have two half stacks, a PA system, in ear monitor system, 4 guitars, and a complete drum kit with mics and stands to hump in, set up, and sound check in an allotted time of 15 minutes we can talk about how to carry gear. Wink

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
Long, long ago, three road managers and a BF truck. Any idea what a Hammond B3 weighs?

RMD

With two 142s?! Eek

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10696 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post