SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Large displacement Scooters?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Large displacement Scooters? Login/Join 
Picture of 2tonicP220
posted
I had no idea these things are 300-500 CC's, and can top 100 MPH! Anyone own something like this, and can comment on how these ride/handle at high speed, and generally how you like them? I guess like other scooters, you don't shift gears, and wonder why would you get these, over say a comparable motorcycle? Thanks.

Posts: 2049 | Location: NW PA | Registered: March 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2tonicP220:
I had no idea these things are 300-500 CC's, and can top 100 MPH! Anyone own something like this, and can comment on how these ride/handle at high speed, and generally how you like them? I guess like other scooters, you don't shift gears, and wonder why would you get these, over say a comparable motorcycle? Thanks.

I wonder the same thing.

Possibilities that occur to me are:

1. Perception. It's a scooter. Scooters are cute and therefore safe. Motorcycles are dangerous.

2. Insurance. Haven't looked, but I wouldn't be surprised if insurance on a 500cc scooter is cheaper than insurance on a 500cc motorcycle

3. Licensing requirements. Do scooters require a motorcycle endorsement on your license? Probably varies from state to state.

4. Mileage. Do scooters get better gas mileage than the equivalent motorcycle?

Never ridden one, so I'm essentially talking out my ass here, but I also wonder if scooters have brakes and handling commensurate with their power and speed?

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15227 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I think Paragon has one. Maybe she'll pop into this thread.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
4-H Shooting
Sports Instructor
Picture of Zecpull
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine went from Motorcycle to this scooter and could not be happier. He had trouble getting on his MC .. but takes this everywhere.
http://powersports.honda.com/2...silver-wing-abs.aspx

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
> because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 9071 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had several. I had a Burgman 650, which I should never have sold. It had many features just not available on a motorcycle, especially storage. With an added trunk, I was able to carry all of my needs for work including a disturbance control team bag. I rigged the underseat with a drain tube and plastic liner, and was able to toss a bag of ice under the seat during the heat of summer and ride with an air conditioned seat. I sold it when offered a stupid good price. I then bought a Piaggio MP3 250, a good bike but slightly under powered. It had many of the positive features of the Burgman. I eventually traded it for an MP3 500, which I truly enjoyed for several years. I sold it when my local dealer went out of business. Stripping the plastic to service the engine was hellish.

I now ride a HD-Tri-Glide Ultra. It's not a scooter, but it does meet my physical ailment needs and carries all the crap I need for work.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
At a local Suzuki event last Friday, I rode 6 machines and the one I had the most fun on was the Burgman 650 w/ABS. This thing had tons of comfort features and I think most use them for short jaunts through crowded city streets with limited parking. It was a bit bigger so it may give folks a sense of security that you really shouldn't have on 2 wheels. It also had a lower center of gravity that probably helps with the less coordinated. I found the storage generous and the seat was as comfortable as any car I've sat in. The auto trans deal was awkward for me as there is a bit of rubber band effect but I had no issues keeping up with the GSX-R 750, Hayabusa, and various other liter bikes in the group. Handling is probably where I was most impressed. I felt that with the lower center of gravity, I could hang a curve at a speed that some of the other bikes would not allow. I even told my wife that if she ever has the desire to get herself a bike to ride with me, she would be very pleased with something like the Burgman.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to get her to triple digits, but I was damn close and I am certain it could handle it well. Riding cross country on that thing would be a real possibility too. From what I gather online, the mileage depends on where/how you ride the thing, but most are getting between 45-55 MPG. (Very comparable to the SV650)

Brakes were quite adequate for the scooter. Right hand is front brake like normal and left hand is rear brake instead of clutch, so if you are used to a MC, don't forget and try to clutch and accidentally brake (didn't happen to me, I swear Wink).

Weight was a little deceiving. It felt lighter than the V-Strom 1000 which was actually 100 lbs lighter. I figure that was all due to seat height and the center of gravity.

Most states require a MC endorsement for anything over 50CC.

Insurance is probably going to be cheaper as you won't have as many chuckle-heads trying to hooligan around on them doing wheelies and such (though I am sure there are those that try).

Price is where they lost me. $12K is ok for something with a little more oomph, but I am not their audience. The regional manager told me that the target demographic are those that are intimidated by clutches and speed, or someone that can no longer get their legs over a regular bike.

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep... for big CC scooters, the Burgman is the choice. I understand there are people who do the AL/CAN Hwy. on them.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You can't go
home again
Picture of LBAR15
posted Hide Post
Years back I rode with/knew a guy who owned a MC shop and raced bikes for many years. He bought himself a large displacement Honda scooter and loved riding it. No shifting, plenty of power, low maintenance, great mileage. He used to be able to carve up the local back roads pretty well on it as well as get right onto the highway with ease. I never had one but think they're great.

---------------------------------------
Life Member NRA

“If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve." - Lao Tzu

Posts: 4635 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
Well the scooters around here aren't anything that fast. Those guys top out at 35 and block traffic. No complaining, they have every right to the road as cars do, it's just a minor hazard to watch out for.

The big scooters look interesting though, esp. for guys that want two wheels for the first time in their lives but aren't young or healthy enough to safely learn and master a big bike. I test drove a nice low powered one, and I understand the attraction. Extremely comfortable. I think the only thing that would prevent me from getting one would be the shame of it since I admire the big bikes, but it's too late for me to take on a project like that and stay alive at the same time.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8679 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Automatic... easier for older or handicap persons.

Easier to get on/off. No swinging leg up and over the bike.

Anything over 150 cc's requires a MC endorsement.

The Honda will run 100 MPH and the Suzuki Burgman is supposed to be the cats ass.

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 621 | Location: WA  | Registered: June 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2tonicP220
posted Hide Post
Lots of great info, thanks. I saw a 650 Burgnman video before reading about it here, and WOW! These large scooters seem so practical, so comfortable, luxurious, yet go like a bat out of hell. Also like that it seems, these would be a lot more likely to be able to flat-foot. Lots of YouTube comments, even from long time motorcycle riders, about how much they enjoy these mega-scooters; even when they initially thought otherwise... I guess a lot of this is how they think they will be perceived by "real" two on the ground riders.

One thing that sticks in my mind, every time I see these scooters is how much frame rigidity is there... Seems a very long span between axles, and I wonder if there is a lot of flex? Gotta say, my interest is peaked.

Posts: 2049 | Location: NW PA | Registered: March 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Currently have a 2015 Burgman 650. It's a great scooter & I would highly recommend it.

Over 55 years of motorcycle riding and dozens of bikes, I had to part with my BMW K1200 LT because my legs are very weak. Bought the Burgman and I enjoy riding it! An extremely low CG makes it feel like a feather when in fact it is quite heavy. Two-up with the wife, I can easily hit 100 but I have not tried top end riding solo.

Slow speed handling is not nimble because of the long wheelbase, but this is not bad because it inspires a secure feeling and when you combine that with the low CG it feels like solid control.

CVT trans takes a bit of getting used to if you have ridden a lot of conventional clutch gearboxes, biggest issue for me is coasting to a stop. Trying to explain; it is like keeping the gears engaged with the clutch out....all the way down, then pulling in the clutch at the last possible second. The other side of the CVT equation is that it is electrically controllable with your left thumb in three different modes. In the "power" mode I can "dial a wheely" at low speeds.

The suspension is very comfort orientated and its a joy to ride. Some aftermarket is offering a drivers backrest which I think would make it a rockingchair.

If you want/need a scooter...buy a 650 Burgman.

Posts: 160 | Location: Sarasota FL | Registered: April 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post