SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Kings County (Seattle) to "simplify" Miranda rights for youthful offenders
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kings County (Seattle) to "simplify" Miranda rights for youthful offenders Login/Join 
Picture of heisrizn
posted
Could Miranda rights be more simplified? (Rhetoric deactivated)

King County Sheriff's Office to simplify Miranda rights for minors

by Marilyn Napier
Wednesday, September 27th 2017

SEATTLE -- The King County Sheriff's Office will give minors simplified Miranda rights as part of an effort to help reduce youth incarceration, according to a news release.

Sheriff John Urquhart told KOMO News Radio that the new simplified rights for kids will start in a few weeks, and the Sheriff's Office may be the first agency in the state to do so.

According to the release, researchers studying adolescent brain science concluded that juveniles have less judgment and experience to avoid choices that could have a negative outcome. The research also found that minors are more likely to agree to have their rights waved when in doubt.

The simplified language would allow youths to answer comprehensible questions about whether they want their rights waved. According to the release, this would help ensure minors understand their rights and can make a more informed, voluntary decision.

Urquhart told KOMO News Radio that it is important that officials talk in a language that is easier for kids to understand.

Urquhart said the goal is to look at the situation from a standpoint that if you put a minor in jail, it will affect him the rest of this life.

"We need to make sure that they (kids) make good decisions and have the benefit of legal counsel before they answer our questions ... this is not a 'gotcha'," Urquhart said. "We really need to work with them."

The Sheriff's Office developed the simplified version in partnership with the Department of Public Defense and with help from the non-profit Creative Justice.

Anita Khandelwal, interim deputy director of the Department of Public Defense, said she believes this partnership is a model to continue to reform and improve the county's justice system.

"We are thrilled that we have been able to partner with the King County Sheriff's Office and the community to help our juvenile justice system practices take into account the science," Khandelwal said in the release.

Urquhart said the simplified Miranda warnings are about treating kids the right way so they don't make a poor decision that hurts them for the rest of their life.

"We are not trying to trick anybody," he said. "We want them to understand their rights."

Below are the new Miranda rights that will be read to minors:

1. You have the right to remain silent, which means that you don’t have to say anything.

2. It’s OK if you don’t want to talk to me.

3. If you do want to talk to me, I can tell the juvenile court judge or adult court judge and Probation Officer what you tell me.

4. You have the right to talk to a free lawyer right now. That free lawyer works for you and is available at any time – even late at night. That lawyer does not tell anyone what you tell them. That free lawyer helps you decide if it’s a good idea to answer questions. That free lawyer can be with you if you want to talk with me.

5. If you start to answer my questions, you can change your mind and stop at any time.

I won’t ask you any more questions.

Juvenile Waiver of Rights:

1. Do you understand? (If yes, then continue to number 2)

2. Do you want to have a lawyer? (If no, then continue to number 3)

3. Do you want to talk with me? (If yes, then proceed with questioning

http://komonews.com/news/local...da-rights-for-minors

Posts: 1549 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: April 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Good grief...Here's the hood version:

1. You's gotss' da damn right t'remain silent, which means dat ya' don’t gotss'ta say anydin'.
2. It’s OK if ya' don’t wants' t'rap t'me. What it is, Mama. Right On!
3. If ya' do wants' t'rap t'me, ah' kin tell de juvenile court judge o' adult court judge and Probashun Offica' whut ya' tell me. What it is, Mama. Right On!
4. You's gotss' da damn right t'rap t'some free lawya' right now. Dat free lawya' wo'ks fo' ya' and be available at any time – even late at night. Dat lawya' duz not tell anyone whut ya' tell dem. 'S coo', bro. Dat free lawya' helps ya' decide if it’s some baaaad idea t'answer quesshuns. Dat free lawya' kin be wid ya' if ya' wants' t'rap wid me. What it is, Mama. Right On!
5. If ya' start t'answa' mah' quesshuns, ya' kin change yo' mind and stop at any time. What it is, Mama. Right On! I won’t ask ya' any mo'e quesshuns.

Juvenile Waiva' uh Rights, dig dis:
1. Do ya' dig it? (If yes, den continue t'numba' 2)
2. Do ya' wants' t'gotss' some lawyer? (If no, den continue t'numba' 3)
3. Do ya' wants' t'rap wid me? (If yes, den proceed wid quesshunin'

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
“King” County (no “s”).

Not mentoined in that article, but they will be read the standard version first, and then the dumbed down one.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10917 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
Honestly, I'm ok with this. Our system is innocent till proven guilty, and they do have these rights. This is merely an attempt to be certain that they understand their rights. They are not being given anything new, just explaination of what they already have.

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's okay Stewardess, I speak Jive.

-------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
...researchers studying adolescent brain science concluded that juveniles have less judgment and experience to avoid choices that could have a negative outcome.

Somebody got paid for that?

Posts: 10821 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Something a kid will understand? “Shut up. Here, to help you put this duct tape over your mouth.”

Doesn’t really help figure things out though...

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PeterGV
posted Hide Post
Laugh all you want, I think it’s a good idea.

People have rights. They won’t exercise them when they need to if they don’t understand them. Just because sometime back in 1966 the Supreme Court enumerated pre-interrogation rights using some specific language, which was then adopted almost word for word by many localities (to ensure their warnings are compliant), that doesn’t mean kids (or stupid people, even) understand that language today.

The key to an effective Miranda warning isn’t really reading the card and ticking down the points. It’s understanding. If rewording the classic text helps youthful offenders better understand their rights... I say bravo.

Posts: 1318 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: April 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
It should read:

1. You are in deep shit with the law.
2. Shut the fuck up. Say NOTHING because anything you do say won't help you out of the deep shit you're in.
3. We've called a free lawyer to come and advise you. The lawyer will tell you you are in deep shit, to shut the fuck up, and say nothing to anyone but them. The next thing the lawyer will tell you are the rules about attorney-client privledge, for example it doesn't apply if you tell them of a crime you are preparing to commit. Listen carefully because you don't want your lawyer dimeing you out because you told them you plan to kill the person who accused you of the crime that landed you in the deep shit you are now in.
4. You'll be arraigned before a judge or magistrate. They'll set your bail, maybe, or order the police to hold you in jail until your trial. Either way, keep your mouth shut and let your lawyer speak for you.
5. Be prepared for shit to rain down in you. You fucked up and deserve the shitstorm in your life.
6. Did I tell you to shut the fuck up? Then do so.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31376 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong with this in my opinion. Dragnet is not on TV anymore.

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Hippy bullshit.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Seriously.... How hard is original version to understand?

And how will this help youth offenders or reduce crime? If you are hearimg those words you are already in deep shit.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
It should read:

1. You are in deep shit with the law.
2. Shut the fuck up. Say NOTHING because anything you do say won't help you out of the deep shit you're in.
3. We've called a free lawyer to come and advise you. The lawyer will tell you you are in deep shit, to shut the fuck up, and say nothing to anyone but them. The next thing the lawyer will tell you are the rules about attorney-client privledge, for example it doesn't apply if you tell them of a crime you are preparing to commit. Listen carefully because you don't want your lawyer dimeing you out because you told them you plan to kill the person who accused you of the crime that landed you in the deep shit you are now in.
4. You'll be arraigned before a judge or magistrate. They'll set your bail, maybe, or order the police to hold you in jail until your trial. Either way, keep your mouth shut and let your lawyer speak for you.
5. Be prepared for shit to rain down in you. You fucked up and deserve the shitstorm in your life.
6. Did I tell you to shut the fuck up? Then do so.

I may print this out and laminate it and give it to some young adults i know.

Posts: 4736 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the wonderful world of 'Idiocracy' where the youth (you know, 'the future') no longer understand the "po-noun-sa-shun a' wurds".

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
They need to produce a cartoon book version.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
I'm OK with this, but really, minors should not even be questioned, IMO, without counsel or a parent

Posts: 5706 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Meh. Whatever. It is not news that the "yutes" don't understand correct English.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I love that people are crooning on what a great idea this is. That people are innocent until proven guilty and whatnot. And they completely gloss over this line-

quote:
The King County Sheriff's Office will give minors simplified Miranda rights as part of an effort to help reduce youth incarceration, according to a news release

It has zero to do with guilt or innocence. Or all the mumbo jumbo science bullshit they quoted. It sounds really feel good, but it keeps them from having to charge them, and then lodge them. Saving money for the state is what it is all about. Hell with the victim of the crime the JV committed. They probably had it coming anyways by having a nice car, or valuables in their home, and they can afford to have their lives turned upside down.

Oh, have I mentioned that an empowered JV offender eventually becomes an adult offender?

It's a win/win for everyone but the victims. They need to shut up and go back to work instead of worrying about trivial little things like justice.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Hey now, Seattle didn't get to where it's at by being accountable or using reason.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
Hey now, Seattle didn't get to where it's at by being accountable or using reason.

Big Grin

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post