SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Steve McQueen to USMC boot camp,SEAL MOH speech to a priest awarded the MOH,Johnny Cash to Ella Fitzgerald,Sam Colt to Bob Munden-OUR AMERICAN STORIES
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Steve McQueen to USMC boot camp,SEAL MOH speech to a priest awarded the MOH,Johnny Cash to Ella Fitzgerald,Sam Colt to Bob Munden-OUR AMERICAN STORIES Login/Join 
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted
A few weeks ago I discovered that one of the radio stations I listen to had started playing a new show and I've quickly grown fond of it.

Stories about our founding fathers, stories from entrepreneurs, stories of historical figures, stories of American inventions, stories of American songs, pet stories, sports stories, funny stories, sad stories, stories of faith, stories of loss, stories of redemption, and stories of inspiration.

The website has a list of radio stations that carry their program or you can simply scroll through the various stories...but when you think you've reached the bottom keep scrolling...I still haven't hit the bottom one yet. For those interested you can opt to have the top 5 best stories emailed to you each week.

The audio stories run from 8 minutes to about 40 minutes long. Not all the stories are as well done as others...but I dare anyone who takes the time to listen to some of these stories not find a at least a handful that you find interesting or inspirational.

Our American Stories

Here are a few stories I'd recommend:

The Only Car Ever Made To Honor God

The Powerful Story of How One Man Grieved His Grandchild's Death

Company Benefits Include $35K For Your Bucket List!

Bob Munden: “The Fastest Gun Who Ever Lived”

“What I’m Gonna Tell You Is Gonna Make You Cry”

The "King Of Cool": The Unknown Story Of Steve McQueen

Careers Start Out With Carhartts and Boots!!

"I HAD Wanted To Be A Marine. Now, I Wanted To Be Home"

Meriwether Lewis Is Flummoxed! Why Aren't Indian Laws Written Down?! (Ep 36)

Audie Murphy: America's Most Decorated Soldier

Uncle Nearest: The Ex-Slave Who Taught Jack Daniel About Whiskey

The Catholic Priest Who Earned a Medal of Honor

How The Elevator BRAKE Shaped Our Modern World

“I Shall Not Fail Those With Whom I Serve”

The Epic Story Of Mountain Man Kit Carson: Agent of "Manifest Destiny"

"I Cursed The Day That Sgt. Calvert Was Born"

The Bucky Dent Game: One Baseball Fan's Unbelievably Lucky Day

Samuel Colt: The Birth Of The Revolver (Colt d. 1862)

Navy SEAL: “The Deed Is All, Not The Glory”

The LA Speed Story

Wright Brothers First Flight

I'll be adding a few direct links to some of the stories that I found meaningful, but I'd encourage members to add links or comments to the stories they liked as well.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Modern Day Savage,

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I'll say that title is rather confusing.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three on, one off
Picture of G-Man
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that link! Upon a quick review, I see very interesting stories. But you’ll need a lot of time on your hands to go through them!

Posts: 4453 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
I’m thinking of writing a screen play based on the random gibberish in the title.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
and yet, you somehow managed to persevere, click on the topic, and post. Wink

Look, my intent was to convey the diverse stories covered by the site as "Our American Stories" doesn't really grab a reader's attention when scanning through the various topics in the Lounge or explain what readers are clicking on. I'm open to suggestions for a better thread title as long as it conveys the diversity of stories offered while still fitting in the allotted thread title character space.

The real question is, did you even bother to check out the website or listen to any of the stories...or are you just running up your post count?

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Probably just running up my post count. I need to be more of a post whore, so I figured I’d start here.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
The title might look random gibberish at first glance. But, once you get to "OUR AMERICAN STORIES", it became quite clear what this is all about. Smile

Q

Posts: 26384 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
bookmarked. thanks.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
I'll say that title is rather confusing.

quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
I’m thinking of writing a screen play based on the random gibberish in the title.

quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:

quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
The title might look random gibberish at first glance. But, once you get to "OUR AMERICAN STORIES", it became quite clear what this is all about. Smile

The title could be a little more concise, but this is a minor criticism, as it does accurately convey the content of the thread.

The title doesn't suffer from what we typically have to deal with of late, which are vague, terse, ambiguous or perhaps lazy titles that tell you little about the content of the thread. If people could use three words or more, or perhaps even a full sentence to describe their thread, we'd all be better for it.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:

Look, my intent was to convey the diverse stories covered by the site as "Our American Stories" doesn't really grab a reader's attention when scanning through the various topics in the Lounge or explain what readers are clicking on. I'm open to suggestions for a better thread title as long as it conveys the diversity of stories offered while still fitting in the allotted thread title character space.

The real question is, did you even bother to check out the website or listen to any of the stories...or are you just running up your post count?
No, I looked at the title and the OP before you updated it and decide its just another semi-wall of text bullshit and moved on. Likely from an AM radio station advertisement..?

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I gather you are not a fan of James Joyce either.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:

No, I looked at the title and the OP before you updated it and decide its just another semi-wall of text bullshit and moved on. Likely from an AM radio station advertisement..?

While writing the initial post I struggled to include several topics in the thread title to convey the diversity while still fitting in the allotted character space but once the initial post was made the thread title hasn't changed- No radio station program description was copied. Other than adding the second paragraph the only other edits to the Original Post are the direct links to some of the stories offered.

Rhino I think you are missing the forest for the trees. This thread is about American Stories, not the thread title. You don't like the title...that's fine, suggest a better one that encapsulates the diverse story topics found at the website or move on to a thread that interests you.

Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Rhino, drop it. Enough about the title. Move on.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post