SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need recommendation for fertilizer spreader
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need recommendation for fertilizer spreader Login/Join 
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted
Moving into a new place; when we left the last house I tossed the crappy Scott’s branded spreader I’d been using for 4 years. Don’t need a huge one (~1/4 acre), but want a decent one that’ll be more comfortable than the previous spreader. Any thoughts from the forum?

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
hand-cast method?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
Don’t get your knickers wadded up.

How many votes do you think this will get?

There are thousands and thousands of bills submitted every Congress, only a few hundred of which have any hope of being seriously considered. The rest are tossed in the hopper for the purpose of spewing some sunshine up the rear end of some group of constituents the Congressman wants to impress.

Best cross post that makes sense if you only read the title of the thread. Big Grin. Now to find the political thread with info about fertilizer spreaders. Bwahahahahaha. Smile

Posts: 3572 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
32nd degree
Picture of roarindan
posted Hide Post
goats an sheep.. they eat all summer ,you eat all winter.

"the world doesn't end til yer dead, 'til then there's more beatin's in store, stand it like a man, and give some back"
Al Swearengen

Posts: 4583 | Location: East Overshoe, second buckle from the top. | Registered: January 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
Since I bought this battery powered one from Scotts, I no longer use a push broadcast spreader. This will throw anything you need for 1/4 acre. I highly recommend it.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Sc...ader-71131/206601107

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I just have a Scotts broadcast spreader that has the EdgeGuard feature so I don't broadcast into flower beds. It's OK.

Whatever you do, don't get one of those god awful drop spreaders.

If you want to buy the BMWs of broadcast spreaders, I think Mark123 can help you out.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23102 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ffips:
quote:

There are thousands and thousands of bills submitted every Congress, only a few hundred of which have any hope of being seriously considered. The rest are tossed in the hopper for the purpose of spewing some sunshine up the rear end of some group of constituents the Congressman wants to impress.

Best cross post that makes sense if you only read the title of the thread. Big Grin. Now to find the political thread with info about fertilizer spreaders. Bwahahahahaha. Smile

How does something like this happen? ~45,000 posts, never saw anything like it!

Somebody colluding with Ruskies or something?

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

How does something like this happen? ~45,000 posts, never saw anything like it!

Somebody colluding with Ruskies or something?

Glad to see I figured out where it was meant to go.

Sorry to the OP for the drift, but I still giggle at the irony of how well it fit if one only read the title and opted to inject politics.

Smile

Posts: 3572 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I've had a Lesco branded 50# spreader for 10 years. I believe it was $200 when I bought it. It works so well, my dad borrows it.

Posts: 10824 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
I've got 2 broadcast spreaders, my lawn is about 15000 sq ft.

One is a Scotts Turf Builder Edgeguard Mini, and that's exactly what I use it for, the edges of my yard when I don't want product thrown to one side. It's fatiguing to use for more than edging because it's too short, has hard plastic wheels that like to slide and skip as much as roll, and requires that you squeeze the release continuously with your right hand to keep the chute open. Another issue is Scotts only provides spreader settings for Scotts products and based on my use today, it's unreliable. That said for about $40 it gets the job done and has lasted for several years in it's role. It also folds to a manageable size.

When I got tired of the crap spreaders, I bought an EarthWay. They make several, but I bought the 2150 commercial. It has pneumatic tires, a large hopper, is well made and comfortable to use. Repair parts are available as well. The only downside other than cost is that the chute settings are pretty rudimentary and don't fine tune well. Probably overkill for your needs, but they make a residential series I'd consider, a decent looking one called the 2600 for a decent price that looks like a scaled down version of the 2150.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ffips:... I still giggle at the irony of how well it fit if one only read the title and opted to inject politics.

Smile

Get a hold of yourself, man!

Never go full Red Shirt!

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
I've been very satisfied with this one.

Posts: 7301 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I like the Scott's Snap Pac, but I think they discontinued it. Lowe's still sells the bags.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FiveFiveSixFan:

This looks very good and exactly what I was looking for. Thank you.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigM4:
quote:
Originally posted by FiveFiveSixFan:

This looks very good and exactly what I was looking for. Thank you.

That is identical to my EarthWay

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
For that small an area, I would strongly recommend you consider a hand crank spreader. The canvas ones you hang around your neck have served me VERY well for seed, fertilizer, grub killer, whatever. Incredible control over spread and you can see how far and where it goes. They have a feed rate adjuster but you can also manage that by how fast you crank. Slow gets heavier coverage in a narrower area, fast lighter coverage in broader area. The plastic adjuster broke off mine a couple years ago - no worries, I just have it adjusted to full flow and manage spread by how far you pull back the level to open hopper and how hard I turn. If that sounds complicated, it's not.

I love mine, and regularly thank my old neighbor who turned me on to these. Unlike the push behind ones that are influenced by terrain, bumps, etc. and almost always spread unevenly this is nearly perfect. We call the old style walk-behind devices "stripers" since they end up with an area more heavily covered than others. They also don't last long, the one I'm describing will easily go 10+ years.

Bonus points for being much easier to store in less space. Only downside is you need to rig some sleeve to hold it open/upright while pouring in fertilizer. I used an old 12pack coke box with ends cut out for about 15 years, now have to buy beer to get the same box style. Dammit..... Smile

Picture of an example below, there are others. Don't recall the name of mine, will look this evening. These will hold a pretty good quantity of product and the neck strap makes it less of a pain to cart around the yard.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
+1 for the handheld. I have a Scott's handheld for our 1/4 acre yard and it does everything I need. Donated the drop and rotary spreaders that were taking up space in the garage and haven't missed them.

Posts: 1359 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Earthway! I have model 2150 and its of excellent build quality. Makes Scott's look like a POS which it is, even their "professional " model.

Made in Texas, in the good ole' U.S. of A.

Posts: 241 | Location: Western North Carolina | Registered: May 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Warren County Democrats use a dump truck... Wink

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post