SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone see the video of the Coral Springs officer punching a girl during arrest?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone see the video of the Coral Springs officer punching a girl during arrest? Login/Join 
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
The lawyer says it best, and multiple times. She was resisting, had her hands under her belly where most criminals keep their weapons and would not give her hands to the officer. She could have easily been going for a gun or knife.

If that was my child instead of hiring a lawyer I'd be questioning how I did so poorly as a parent that my child was cursing at officers, resisting arrest, and assaulting an officer. Unfortunately the parents seem to be blaming the officer instead of looking in the mirror.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Think about what you’re saying.

If they thought she was reaching for a gun or knife, they could have shot her in the head. Or tased at least. Punching someone is not a big deal in the real world.

The idiots have ensured its difficult to tase in these situations, which was by far the quickest solution with least potential for injuries.

The best solution is to have a practiced technique to wrestle the arms out. It is difficult under perfect circumstances, but will work sometimes, if practiced, but it’s not the instinctive tug of war most try. The baton trick mentioned above works most of the time, and was one of my favorites, but many agencies frown upon it and consider it an elevated use of force. God forbid we have anything effective available.

Pepper spray is out of the question due to the proximity and likely eye injuries.

Strikes to the thighs and arms aren’t worth a shit when fighting one for their arms, in my experience. Punches to the back, ribs, and heads aren’t really worth a shit, either. And they look bad. But after a couple of minutes of wrestling for arms officers get exhausted and switch to less precise maneuvers.

Having done this dance a couple of dozen times, the taser was by far the best solution. Now we are left with punching people, which breaks bones. Because that makes sense Roll Eyes

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11444 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Here's a pro tip: If you resist the police, you'll get punched. If you behave in a way that makes the officer feel threatened, you get ventilated.

From what I've seen in that video, the officer should be fine.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29607 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From what is shown, she is clearly resisting.

It's justifiable but poor execution. There are more influential techniques. The officer needed to move around to the side for better leverage and more options. In the heat of the moment, and in the urgency of the situation, best options are not always considered. Every cop will admit that there are cases he would handle differently if the situation ever happens again.

Just this weekend, I scolded my son for the way he executed an apprehension (involving guns and drugs)that increased his risk factor unnecessarily. He will never handle it that way again. He is lucky to get a chance to learn from it. Some don't.

I have two sons on the job and I swear I have more stress now, than when I was in.

Posts: 146 | Location: South Texas  | Registered: August 28, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ken226
posted Hide Post
Great discussion guys, thanks.

My impressions have unfortunately been painted by Seattle area politics.

I wasn't nearly as worried about this whrn i was working in AZ.

Posts: 1563 | Location: WA | Registered: December 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Speling Champ
posted Hide Post
So hair-pull techniques/tactics aren't taught or allowed anymore?

Grab a handful of forehead and hair and pull straight back. No pulling up or to the side but straight back. Amazing how fast the hands come out from underneath a body. Yeah you sometimes end up with some hair, it hurts like a motherfucker, and looks brutal as hell, but otherwise inflicts little, if any, lasting injury and solves the "gimme your hands!" dilemma faster than anything else I've ever seen or used.

As to the video-once again everyone is going to make a decision of whether the officer was justified or not based on literally two seconds of video and absolutely no context or background of those involved, prior contacts and history, dispatch information and dissemination, witness and caller descriptions, etc.

Posts: 1603 | Location: Utah | Registered: July 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OcCurt:

Grab a handful of forehead and hair and pull straight back. No pulling up or to the side but straight back. Amazing how fast the hands come out from underneath a body. Yeah you sometimes end up with some hair, it hurts like a motherfucker, and looks brutal as hell, but otherwise inflicts little, if any, lasting injury and solves the "gimme your hands!" dilemma faster than anything else I've ever seen or used.

As to the video-once again everyone is going to make a decision of whether the officer was justified or not based on literally two seconds of video and absolutely no context or background of those involved, prior contacts and history, dispatch information and dissemination, witness and caller descriptions, etc.

We are taught hair pulls as a take-down, but I’ve never heard of a hair pull in this sort of situation. Very interesting indeed!

Posts: 6354 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Some details that didn’t make the video

FT LAUDERDALE (CBSMiami) – Coral Springs police have come to the defense of one of their officers who was captured on video repeatedly punching a teen girl on her side as she lay face down on the ground.

The video was posted on an Instagram account of a person identified as Victoria Cedeno aka “Victoria_Babyyy.” (Note: Heard on the news this was a relative of the teen)

She wrote that the teen in the video is her 14-year-old cousin and she was being punched by the officer because she “back talked him.” “I’m pissed,” said the teen’s mom, who did not want her daughter identified. “I’m angry. I would never expect this to happen,” she said as she spoke today with her daughter and attorney by her side.

The woman said her cousin and some other teens were asked to leave the Coral Square Mall by security.

She posted on Instagram that as her cousin was walking out she was ” confronted by these cops and thrown to the grown and punched because she couldn’t get her hands free from under her when they were trying to handcuff her.” “He went completely overboard. It was unnecessary,” said Dennis. “Her hands are pinned up, he’s fish tailing her whole body with her shorts, it was just too much going on and she clearly wasn’t aggressive,” the mother said. (Note, I had to look the term up
https://www.urbandictionary.co...?term=Fish%20Tailing )

Her attorney would only speak about the moments captured on video and shared on Instagram. “I’m not going to comment on the criminal aspect of the case,” said attorney Meeghan Moldof, “But to say that the police officer was justified to punch her continuously while he has his knee on her back and her hands under her belly, it’s speaks for itself,” she said.

Coral Springs police say the video doesn’t tell the whole story.

They posted on Twitter that officers were called to the mall on Thursday by mall security because there were some unruly teens harassing people.

When officers arrived, a mother approached them and said one of the teens had pushed her five-year-old to the grounds.

Mall security officers told them that one of the teens, the 14-year-old seen in the video, had hit another teen in the mall, according to the department’s Twitter post.

The security officers asked the police to bar the teens from returning to the mall.

As the officers were getting ready to leave, Coral Spring police said they received another call about another incident at the mall involving one of the teens who had been barred from returning but did so anyway.

That teen was taken into custody.

According to police, it was at that time the 14-year-old began cursing at the officers and “attempting to incite the other teens.”

Police say when they attempted to take her into custody, she fought back.

“Due to her stature and aggressive behavior, officers took her to the ground attempting to get her to release her fists,” they posted on Twitter. “As seen in the video she resisted arrest, and in order to have her comply she was struck in the side to release her clenched fists – she was then handcuffed.” The officer explained in the police report that he punched her 3 times in the rib cage. He said since her hands were under her body, he was not sure if she had a weapon hidden in her waistband.

Coral Springs police say as she was being put in the patrol car, she lashed out again – kicking a female officer in the stomach.

The department said in viewing the video it’s important to “have all the facts before rushing to judgment on an officer’s actions.”
https://miami.cbslocal.com/201...r-punches-teen-girl/

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ken226
posted Hide Post
In that context, it sounds like they had reason to believe she may have had a weapon.

Shes very lucky, that would have potentially justified a level of force well above what occurred.

Little heffer coulda got herself shot.

Posts: 1563 | Location: WA | Registered: December 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
A nice drive stun would have gotten her compliance quickly. My agency used to allow them, but now says anyone worth tasing is worth putting probes into. A drive stun with point of contact pain compliance is the perfect tool here.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
A nice drive stun would have gotten her compliance quickly. My agency used to allow them, but now says anyone worth tasing is worth putting probes into. A drive stun with point of contact pain compliance is the perfect tool here.

I’ve done that as well, in a near exact situation. It worked then too and is still good to go for us.

Posts: 6354 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Maybe mom should be questioning why her daughter was totally out of control instead of sitting there with an attorney looking for a retirement plan.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10-8
Picture of Apphunter
posted Hide Post
my agency would be good with but an arm peel is a better tactic

Posts: 914 | Registered: November 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
I just want to know what kind of parent lets a 14 year old girl wear shorts like that in public?

Baby should have gotten an ass whupin' on top of those two punches.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I hope the LEOs were wearing and using body cams.

That shit seems to make these types of B/S claims evaporate.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
Maybe mom should be questioning why her daughter was totally out of control instead of sitting there with an attorney looking for a retirement plan.

Odds are that mom raised this shit bird like that. At a pretty wild guess, Mom is probably much like daughter. First instinct is to physically lash out at anyone who does not blindly follow what ever she wants.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Guess not. The NFL is considering banning it as well. LOL

Posts: 17176 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Liberal outrage media. I trust the cops judgement. Not that they're perfect, but they are on the scene and know what is going down. The left simply wants to buy public outrage with that crap.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
just as i suspected

funny how the video always starts with the cops use of force - never the minutes leading up to the UOF (ie the perpetrators actions which necessitated the response)

---------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Looked like a couple of compliance pokes to me.

Nothing to see here.

Next.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post