SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Have you ever shot and killed a living being?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Have you ever shot and killed a living being? Login/Join 
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
Maybe it's just me, when I read the OP subject line I didn't read the inference of animals.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2009 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by preten2b:
Maybe it's just me, when I read the OP subject line I didn't read the inference of animals.

Just you.

Posts: 17122 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
Question is living being, should be more specific.
Possible use of the term "human Being" would have added clarity.

However, I wouldn't answer that question.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7179 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ewills
posted Hide Post
I am the jerk that stops his car in a neighborhood (not a highway) to grab a turtle and move him across the street so he doesn't turn into asphalt stew.

I have dispatched groundhogs and a copperhead just to keep the house safer. Didn't enjoy it. Mice and rats killed don't count. I prefer to not kill something unless it's death serves a purpose. Preventing property damage or injury is a good reason IMO. I have family that hunts for food, and I have considered going on one of the trips someday. I should really do it. Don't know until you try, I guess.

Posts: 308 | Location: NOVA | Registered: February 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
My bad, "being" threw me off. Smile TY

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2009 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I've killed just about everything that walks or crawls at one time or another. And now I'm here to kill you Little Bill... oh wait, that wasn't me.

Yes.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BillyBonesNY:
Question is living being, should be more specific.
Possible use of the term "human Being" would have added clarity.

However, I wouldn't answer that question.

I specifically did not ask that question.

Posts: 17122 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Many hundreds or more probably thousands of creatures. Upland birds, ducks, geese, deer, elk, rabbits and hundreds upon hundreds of various fish species.

When I was a kid I was taught to respect all of Gods creatures and not to kill anything I didn't take home for the table and I've lived by that doctrine all of my life. I killed a couple of deer via my vehicle and had to put one out of its misery after the fact. The only exception to that rule, that I recall, was a period when I hunted coyotes for their hides that were getting high dollar rewards by furriers that I used for my hunting and fishing expenses.

We used to raise a few cattle, turkeys and pigs for our use so they were obviously for table fare. We haven't done that in 20 years.

I no longer hunt because I stopped enjoying the kill. It's expensive and a lot of messy work and the grocery store has everything we need. The last deer I drew down on was a young spike that just stood there looking at me and I thought "why do I need to take this life when I don't need to" and I didn't pull the trigger, walked to my truck and that was that for my hunting days.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
Yes, more than I can remember. Always for food, never went to waste. Deer,pig, Pheasant,quail, chickens, fish (spear fishing too).

Part of life, part of what let’s us flourish- but with that all life is to be respected.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Many deer over the last 22 years, or thereabouts. Always for meat- not a rack hunter.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15572 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
A bird with a BB pistol when I was a teen. Rabbits more recently with a .22 pellet rifle.

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Game animals since I was 12, 71 now. Predators dispatched when needed especially skunks and hogs.

Posts: 51 | Registered: June 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
Other than quail, pheasants, grouse, ducks, geese, deer, elk, bears, wild boars, (some of which was done in Germany and Iran)?
That wild boar was good eating, wasn't it? I had the opportunity to eat some at Dezful.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Yes, a damn near impossible shot (which is why I took it, I guess) at a Blue Jay. Crosman BB gun when I was ten years old. When it hit the bird, I thought I had missed, because it flew off the branch it was sitting on and made a slow, lazy circle to the ground, then didn't move any more. No one- including the bird- was more surprised than me. The next day, the woman who lived in the house chastised me and asked me the point of doing that. I coudn't answer her. Since then, no, nothing else, and you can laugh or roll your eyes, but I still think about that bird and I still feel bad about it.

No laughter here. Caught an eye guard in the leg earlier this month in the process of freeing a nice three and three buck from the electric netting goat fence that he had gotten tangled up in (and was destroying). Would have been a lot simpler (not to mention avoided stitches, antibiotics, and a mangled fender where he ran me into the truck before I got him down so we could get the fence off him) to have just shot him, but it didn’t seem necessary.

Heck, at night when it rains we are swerving all over the ranch roads to avoid the toads. Kinda feel like there’s no sense killing anything unnecessarily.

Ground squirrels though, with all the erosion they cause, that is a different story.

ETA: Have also dispatched injured livestock, didn’t think of that right off.

Posts: 6917 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by preten2b:
I read it to include both animals and humans.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
I was born to live by the venison Big Grin

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Pigs, frogs, snakes, and I burned several thousand ants as a little boy with a magnifying glass and nothing to do.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
Pheasant on a hunt. I felt bad about it. A number of injured deer / dogs while working.

I do enjoy a good steak. I prefer that somebody else do the dirty work. Hypocritical? Yes, but I freely own it. The cow didn't do a damn thing to me, but when it's already in styrofoam I don't feel the same personal twinge of guilt.

No issue with others hunting (particularly the meat-on-the-table variety) or elimination of harmful animals, but the hunting stuff isn't for me.

Posts: 2461 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I have killed a deer. A few varmints, but nothing 2 legged.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I'm very effective with a fly swatter, that count?

All kidding aside I've enjoyed hunting and varminting over the years.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post