SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Have you ever shot and killed a living being?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Have you ever shot and killed a living being? Login/Join 
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted
Very simple question. I put no qualifiers on two legs, four, or on the wing. Very simply put, have you ever shot and killed a living being?

Any details you feel like sharing are up to you. Any further discussion is up to you. I know there's plenty here who have done some, or all. But I wonder how many have never.

This thread isn't about the morality of killing. It's merely a question of if you have used a firearm to kill. I understand there's more poll options that could be added along the spectrum in between, but for my interests, this is a binary choice.

Question:
Have you ever shot and killed a living being?

Choices:
Yes.
No.

Posts: 17113 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yes, a damn near impossible shot (which is why I took it, I guess) at a Blue Jay. Crosman BB gun when I was ten years old. When it hit the bird, I thought I had missed, because it flew off the branch it was sitting on and made a slow, lazy circle to the ground, then didn't move any more. No one- including the bird- was more surprised than me. The next day, the woman who lived in the house chastised me and asked me the point of doing that. I coudn't answer her. Since then, no, nothing else, and you can laugh or roll your eyes, but I still think about that bird and I still feel bad about it.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107501 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Since then, no, nothing else, and you can laugh or roll your eyes, but I still think about that bird and I still feel bad about it.

I wouldn't laugh and roll my eyes. Killing a living being brings up a wide range of emotions, and if you don't feel some measure of remorse or... for lack of a better word, at least a seriousness about it, I can't say you're a properly adjusted human.

Posts: 17113 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
Yes. Twice. A quail on a quail hunt years ago with my employer. I also had an experience similar to parabellum except mine was the neighbors cat. Pellet rifle at night - I aimed for the hip hoping to scare it away but I must have hit it in the side of the chest or something. It flopped around for 10 seconds or so then didn't move. To this day I still feel guilty about killing that cat.

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6723 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
one pheasant and one squirrel
,when I was in my early teens.

then I was done. never again .

that shit got sorted out on that day ,
dads single shot shot gun.

that was enough for me

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54603 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That is my spot.
posted Hide Post
I have since killed deer for meat but my first kill was like Para. It was some sort of bird (no idea) and a BB gun. I was 11 and I cried. WTH I thought would happen if I shot it I don't know but that made it tough to even think about hunting for a long time. I realize there was no purpose and it was horrible and I should have worried if I had felt nothing.

But now, when I hunt it is for food for me or someone else and I am respectful of the animal's death. I have a Christian Faith that values all living things but like to think even if I didn't, I would have some reverence- maybe as Native American traditions dictated....

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Ben Franklin

Posts: 2110 | Location: Rural Tallahassee, FL | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
Mice caught in glue traps. Even 6 inches away, .22 ratshot wont do it reliably. I didn't like that. I don't like killing things I don't have to. If it's gotta be done, I can do it, but I wont like it.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my youth, I absolutely terrorized the birds, rock-chucks, and rabbits in my area with BB gun and .22 rifles. I have killed hundreds, if not a thousand.
I never really thought about it at the time. It is just what humans do to animals.
Now, I am a strict vegetarian. Karma ?

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The loudest one in the room is the weakest one in the room
Picture of Rigby470
posted Hide Post
I've hunted since I was a kid. Deer, ducks, geese, quail, dove, squirrel, hogs, bear, elk, pheasant. . .I've killed them all many, many times.

========================

NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Home Firearm Safety Instructor
NRA Range Officer
NRA Life Member

Arkansas Concealed Carry Instructor #13-943

Posts: 1103 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lots of lizards as a kid with my bb-gun. Big poisonous toads, rats, with the same bb-gun. (Crossman M-1)

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
I don't even have the excuse for youth. I was 21 and on a girlfriends farm. Shot and killed a rabbit from 20 yards with a shotgun to impress her. It screamed as it died and I did it for no reason but to a big man to a girl. I've killed some ground hogs since then as a favor to my father in law and two squirrels that were living in my attic but I think about that rabbit and my actions every time I killed something.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1951 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My first kill was also just like Para's except that no one else saw it but me so no one chastised me about it - but the guilt was same.

Since then, I've gone on many hunts and killed many but have always made very conservative shots and harvest the meat.

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Assault Accountant
Picture of 12GA
posted Hide Post
As a lifelong hunter of large and small game, I’ve killed many animals. Most of them ended up on my plate at the dinner table.

Posts: 2583 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, just one time. With an Air rifle. A bird perched on a phone wire was shitting on my new car.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
All my cousins I grew up with and my neighbor were hunters. They were going out “bird hunting” one snowy day. I didn’t want to look like a wimp (probably between 8-10 years old and I was the youngest). Shot one bird with a BB gun. Regret it to this day. Never felt bad about killing poisonous snakes. A few raccoons and possums that were either being pests or looked seriously ill and were behaving very strangely. Bunch of groundhogs but only because they tear up my garden and the fields.

Posts: 13740 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I'm the first 'No' in this pool. I'm a fisherman, but never hunted.

Closest I've come is shooting up watermelons.

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
First thing I ever killed was a Coot with my air rifle. My father and grandparents lived on a golf course, and every year the men would hold a shotgun day to shoot the coots-with approval from the local PD- as they were considered to be a menace (something about them tearing up the greens, cant remember). I would practice for hours with my rifle in the woods, and my dad said he wanted to take me down to the pond and let me have a go at the Coots before the shotgun day. I laid down at one end of the pond while my dad would throw golf balls at the coots to shoo them toward me. I think I shot 3 or 4 that early evening. My dads friends started calling me the “Cootinator”. I remember feeling pretty proud of myself, never felt bad for the coots. First time I truely regretted shooting a living animal was a few years later. I was hunting for dove with my dad and his friend, and I took a shot at a rabbit that I had no reason to kill other than “can I make this shot?”. They didnt say anything one way or the other about it, like they knew I would figure it out for myself- that was a pointless kill. Ive hunted many times since and still enjoy it.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3446 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
I have been a hunter as long as I can remember, when I was younger it was part of who I was. Around 8 years old I would shoot birds with my BB gun, grab a potato from mom or grandmother, clean the bird, start a fire somewhere and eat it.

I still hunt but nothing like I used too and I seem to have more compassion for critters as I get older. However, I will eliminate any critter I feel is harmful to our chickens. Just the other night I spotted the opossum that had been hanging around the chicken coop, he has since left this world to join his other buddies.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3641 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
I hurt somebody's feelings once.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sig2340,

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31427 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, I was a paid assassin. When a young lad there were two trees in an elderly lady"s front yard that for some reason attracted hundreds of sparrows on a nightly basis in the summer time. The birds were so thick they fouled the sidewalk with droppings to the extent folks would walk in the street to avoid the area. She would pay me and my pal 1 cent each for all the birds we could kill any time we wanted to spend the time doing so. We would often fill a 5 gallon bucket each in a nights' shooting. Her renumeration was enough to buy BB's for the next expedition. Never did figure out what the over attraction to those trees was for the birds, but I see they have been cut down. Whoever owns the house now likely just gave up trying to fight the horde.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2887 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post