SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Legalization of Marijuana
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Legalization of Marijuana Login/Join 
Picture of SIG 229R
posted
What are you thoughts on this?

Question:
If msrijuana is legaliged who should do it? Or should it rdmain illegal ?

Choices:
Federal lawmakers
State lawmakers
Supreme Court
Voters
Remain illegal
Only legal for medical use

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I picked Federal lawmakers because if it was completely decriminalized at the Federal level, states would still be able to set their own laws (possibly through voter referenda) about whether it should be legal or not in their individual state.

The patchwork system we have right now with it being illegal federally but some states legalizing is not a good solution, even if you are not in favor of legalization.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Question:If msrijuana is legaliged who should do it? Or should it rdmain illegal ?

Dude, man.... You should do some proofreading.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Question:If msrijuana is legaliged who should do it? Or should it rdmain illegal ?

Dude, man.... You should do some proofreading.

Tooooo maaahch ganja maaaan!

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Here is Washington, it's about the money. Lots of money. Cities that banned it are now salivating at how much tax money will flow into the city coffers. M willing to bet the federal government when/if/maybe will get into grab a share of the money.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm morally opposed to its recreational use, but that ship as sailed in California.

What concerns me is the misuse of MJ. Get buzzed at home? More power to you. However, getting high while driving? No bueno. I'm on my bike quite a bit and depend upon drivers to see me in the bike lane or shoulder. Without fail, on each of my rides a car will drive by with the windows down and the strong odor of MJ comes wafting out. If someone is stoned or unfocused for just a second, I may pay for it with my life or serious injury. And yes, I'm aware the same could be said for drunk or distracted driving.

P229

Posts: 3808 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:
What concerns me is the misuse of MJ. Get buzzed at home? More power to you. However, getting high while driving? No bueno. I'm on my bike quite a bit and depend upon drivers to see me in the bike lane or shoulder. Without fail, on each of my rides a car will drive by with the windows down and the strong odor of MJ comes wafting out. If someone is stoned or unfocused for just a second, I may pay for it with my life or serious injury. And yes, I'm aware the same could be said for drunk or distracted driving.

Without that last sentence, I was going to say waiting for those pro-pot folks to compare it to alcohol in 3...2...1.... Wink

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Three little birdies told me one misty morning while i was in a mellow mood that since the laws continue to get less harsh,even in the bible belt, its about all too late for redemption. No way they can stop the train on this. I understand a lot of folks here think we have a real situation but any day the sun is shining is a good day. If youre keen to it come in from the cold and get some soup, stir it up, cause only time will tell how this turns out.

I dont partake, but I dont think its any worse than alcohol and has far more benefits. Im with mr. Brown on this one.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:

Without that last sentence, I was going to say waiting for those pro-pot folks to compare it to alcohol in 3...2...1.... Wink

Actually, it is seems less harmful than alcohol in our recent experience. One of my state patrol colleagues said the other day . . "Get drunk behind the wheel you are going to speed and miss a red light, get stoned and we see you miss your exit." Not entirely true, but not wholly false either. However, I wonder how many distracted drivers may concentrate on their phone when texting while high. It's a problem for certain.

Now I can't use cannabis at all, because I am still subject to LE drug tests so I don't have firsthand evidence, On the 4/20 anniversary this article suggests that marijuana is more popular than ever . . . 11 Statistics that show MJ is mainstream

Posts: 1854 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
If you keep it illegal then nobody will use it, right?

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10696 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not gonna support the legalization. There is no reliable way to test impaired people and by far my biggest reason to oppose it is I have zero desire to even slightly empower the pot lifestyle trash. Human garbage.

Posts: 2188 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
State's rights issue. Put it on the ballot and let the citizens decide.

Posts: 1804 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
What always amazes me is how many drunks oppose marijuana.

Posts: 1804 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Assault Accountant
Picture of 12GA
posted Hide Post
IMHO allow voters to decide. I say legalize it. Those who choose poorly by toking and driving pay a penalty like this who drink & drive.

Posts: 2581 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
It not really optional. If it's really going to be legal, it has to be done at the federal level. As it stands, even if a state legalize pot, the feds could bust anyone involved in growing or selling it, whether the state has legalized it or not.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BBMW,

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
In all my 65yrs on this planet have I ever found that being illegal ever stopped anybody from using it if they chose to. The only realized deterrent I've seen work was random testing with their employers. In most cases, if they valued their employment they ceased use out of fear of losing their jobs. With my last employer, we not only had random testing because of holding a CDL license, but having Nuclear access we were tested at the plant facility. It did eventually weed out (no pun intended) a few diehards that thought some purchased liquid concoction would mask the results, and we did implement a self help program for those who would enroll in the program if caught. But eventually that program was stopped and if you had a positive drug screening outside of prescribed medications you were immediately suspended following up with termination. Only the real foolish would toss a great paying job in the can over a few puffs to get a buzz. Even since medical marijuana was passed in our state, Florida Power and Light Company has their own rules and standards, and as far as they're concerned it's still an offense to be terminated for if you show a positive test. Especially in the Nuclear Plants as that falls under Federal laws and regulations if your particular job required plant access.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^ This is the one problem that I have. Testing positive does not, by any stretch, indicate impairment.

Hopefully someone will soon come up with a means of testing that is accurate and effective.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm torn between voters and Federal. Either way, I suppose my heart and mind are for legalization. I agree that just because it's available doesn't mean everyone's going to run out and use it. You either are going to or you aren't. Penalties for misuse, just like any substance, whether it be alcohol or tobacco, health-wise or legal ramifications apply accordingly.
After having worked in Amsterdam and Rotterdam, and still travel there, though not as often s I used to, I simply don't see the problem. Enough generations of legalization will make all of this talk a non-issue, IMO. People should be able to choose whether to do something like this or not. Will legalizing marijuana potentially affect someone negatively? Most-likely; but so does everything else we take for granted.
All my opinion, of course, and shouldn't be taken as anything else.

Posts: 237 | Registered: January 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Marijuana today is exponentially more potent than it was in the 60's due to engineering. There are no double blind studies that I have seen that support its claimed medical benefits. I almost uniformally see someone who is addicted to Meth or Heroin that started with Marijuana.

Posts: 12436 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
Marijuana today is exponentially more potent than it was in the 60's due to engineering. There are no double blind studies that I have seen that support its claimed medical benefits. I almost uniformally see someone who is addicted to Meth or Heroin that started with Marijuana.

There are no double blind study's because it is listed as a Schedule 1 drug which means it has already been determined to have no medical benefits. You cannot do an official government approved double blind test on a drug to prove it has medical benefit's when it was determined to have none in the early 70's.

And no I'm not a pot head, recreational user or even a medical user and until 3 or 4 years ago was adamantly against it's use until I took the time to read about how is was made illegal and even then wasn't convinced. What convinced me was seeing a friend with Crohn's disease trying every prescribed drug on the market and literally shitting himself to death and withering away to nothing, unable to support his family and as a last resort to avoid chemo start using CBD's. It may not have any double blind test, but it has kept my friend alive and allowed him to take care of his family.

Posts: 2489 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: July 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post