SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Legalization of Marijuana
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Legalization of Marijuana Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Feds should lift the prohibition and leave legality to the states. If the left coast wants to get baked let them. If the Bible Belt doesn't want to get baked they don't have to.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeNH:
I have zero desire to even slightly empower the pot lifestyle trash. Human garbage.

Wow. You have absolutely no clue what you are talking about when you make a generalization like that. I'll bet you know at least one person that smokes pot and you would never have guessed it.

I've known people just like you describe and even more on the exact opposite side of the spectrum.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17244 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Since it is illegal at the federal level, if it is to be legalized I think it should be done at the federal level and then left as a states rights issue.

The libertarian in me doesn't care what mood altering substances people choose to use. For those who make poor decisions while impaired however, I think there should be swift and harsh consequences. With rights comes responsibilities and if you act irresponsibly you should suffer appropriate consequences.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10917 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Medicinal use is legal in Michigan. I have a problem with legalization though. It was part of the reason I left Michigan and I'll explain.
Growers in Michigan have to have registered patients in order to grow and sell. It's the law up there. Problem was, they didn't just sell to their patients. Minors were sold marijuana and I lived with a woman who put up with her kids smoking in the house, in the car and anywhere else they pleased. Hell, one got arrested for possession. He was still in High school.
It's a huge business in Michigan and I saw people getting rich off of it. Sour grapes on my part? No. Don't sell to kids though. They did because money is money and they wanted it.
Does marijuana have medicinal properties? Absolutely. A few houses down from where I lived, there was a person who had Parkinsons disease. It wasn't horrible but he was still affected by it. Medicinal marijuana helped him immensely. I'm all for that.
I haven't smoked in probably about 25+ years. I never really got to much out of it to tell the truth.
Legalize it and let it flow freely? Like I said, I have a problem with that. Just my opinion though.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
come and take it
posted Hide Post
I think medical Marijuana is a farce. If it's going to be legal let's call it what it is, recreational marijauna.

I am not arguing that for a few people (maybe 2% or less of users) mj is their best choice for medicine. If it was legalized as recreation, those users could just go to the mj store and buy some, like you would aspirin. For 98% of users the idea of involving a quack Doctor to get them a prescription, seems to me to make a mockery of the medical establishment.

I have a few SIGs.

Posts: 1881 | Location: Texan north of the Red River | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Without getting into the pros and cons of it, it's just a matter of time before it's legalized.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
quote:
I have zero desire to even slightly empower the pot lifestyle trash. Human garbage.

Wow. You have absolutely no clue what you are talking about when you make a generalization like that. I'll bet you know at least one person that smokes pot and you would never have guessed it.

I've known people just like you describe and even more on the exact opposite side of the spectrum.

And you didn't read my post. I'm not talking about someone who uses in the privacy of their home or whatever. I'm talking about the trash that attends rallies and otherwise thinks smoking is making a statement or whatever. Basically, the people you saw on tv after Colorado legalized it.

Posts: 2188 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ibanda:
I think medical Marijuana is a farce. If it's going to be legal let's call it what it is, recreational marijauna.

I am not arguing that for a few people (maybe 2% or less of users) mj is their best choice for medicine. If it was legalized as recreation, those users could just go to the mj store and buy some, like you would aspirin. For 98% of users the idea of involving a quack Doctor to get them a prescription, seems to me to make a mockery of the medical establishment.

It's certainly a better option than 24hr doses of morphine to make pain manageable. Opioids suck and are extremely addicting, in addition to putting you at the mercy of doctors and pharmacist to continue using it to manage pain and make a day less distracting to be able to function somewhat normal. I don't know many asked or deserved to be relegated to pain management, but it's something I'd never wish for you or anybody. There's just not many options once you have to go down that path, but it's an act of desperation for many. And to any that extols the evils of marijuana as a pain reliever, if it works, I say walk a mile in my shoes and find me another good option that works and doesn't destroy your health, get you addicted and interfere with you interpersonal relationships. I haven't used medical marijuana but certainly consider it an option to living in extreme neurological pain from a brain injury any day.

Additionally, I'd not smoke the weed, I'd require the gel caps or oils. I could give a sh*t about recreational MJ users and not looking to get a buzz. I already inquired about marinol pills from my doctor in the past and though my insurance would pay for it, he didn't want to prescribe it but had no problems of writing a script of morphine or oxycontin/oxycodones.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Feds need to de-criminalize it and let the states regulate it as the voters would like. Shifting it from a Schedule 1 to a Schedule 2 would only benefit the big pharmaceutical companies to the detriment of the end user.

Or just legalize it and regulate like alcohol and cigs. Keeping it the way it is, the Fed, state and local governments are losing billions of dollars a year in tax revenue.

Disagree? Word on the street is that just one of the six med license in FL had an offer made on it for $200,000,000.00, yes 2 hundred million. Marijuana is BIG business. And with Canada legalizing weed, its money just going north.

And as stated in another post, I just was a speaker at a med marijuana conference. Of course my segment was educating attorneys on the fact that they could lose their Bar Cards if they don't properly advise clients as to the Fed rules.

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
quote:

And you didn't read my post. I'm not talking about someone who uses in the privacy of their home or whatever. I'm talking about the trash that attends rallies and otherwise thinks smoking is making a statement or whatever. Basically, the people you saw on tv after Colorado legalized it.

Confused I have no idea where you think that is in there. Even if your original post had that in there, I would stand by my statement.

I'll quote your entire post now:

quote:
Not gonna support the legalization. There is no reliable way to test impaired people and by far my biggest reason to oppose it is I have zero desire to even slightly empower the pot lifestyle trash. Human garbage.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17244 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not going to debate the pros and cons. We've been beating that to death for at least 10 years here that I'm aware of. Razz I will however share with you this. I have several friends in the biz. One turned a solid IT, overseas teaching career into a 7 figure business and one of the larger distributors in the PNW. He and his wife sell accessories and branded products and have offices in China. Not most, ALL of my friends, who partake in MJ are business professionals. Some are more successful than others but none are human garbage. My sisters ex husband with 5 DUIs and two kids...he's human garbage.

So, if you actually want to read a little about MJ and learn to realize the complexities in trying to put it into a one-size-fits-all description, check out this site: www.leafly.com

The thing that I think would be useful for this crowd is to read about the strains, the effects, the user reviews. People are searching for specific effects in strains. They're not always just trying to get blasted. Surely there's folks like that. But there are indeed a lot of users that are looking for quality of life improvements in their mental or physical health. Food for thought!

Posts: 5691 | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And you're still misinterpreting my post. Someone who smokes on occasion in the manner you described where "you'd never know" isn't what anyone would call a lifestyle smoker. I'm talking about the people who feel the need to let you know they smoke- the ones whose life revolves around the shit.

Posts: 2188 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes
Picture of sandman76
posted Hide Post
One of the side effects of marijuana legalization in Colorado was the legalization of the growing and harvest of hemp. This is where the oils and fibers are used for industrial purposes. Minimal THC content.

The oils are high in CBD which is used in the medicinals for treating epilepsy in children. Other uses as well.

https://www.cwhemp.com/

Posts: 1956 | Location: Douglas County, Colorado | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I don't smoke it, or otherwise use it, in any form, any more. Haven't for so long I don't recall how long ago it was. (No, it's not because my brane is fried from smoking it. It's just been that long.)

I don't have any particular interest in smoking or otherwise using it, recreationally, any longer.

What I do have an interest in is seeing the end of Yet Another Failed Experiment In Prohibition. This insane War On Some Drug has brought us drug cartels, no-knock raids, and civil asset forfeiture, to name a few. It has brought us side-effects such as Fast and Furious.

It has brought us a prison population that is the largest in the world and an incarceration rate second only to the Seychelles.

What it has not brought us is an end to the use of marijuana as a recreational drug. And it never will.

This has to stop. It's just stupid. Mind-numbingly, blazingly stupid.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of a Series
of Accidents
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG228:
What always amazes me is how many drunks oppose marijuana.

You need to start hanging out with a better group of people!

Wink

I do enjoy the irony of how the State is rapidly moving into all the businesses that were previously the sole domain of organized crime!

Booze, gambling, drugs; just need to get into prostitution on a large scale and we'll force organized crime out of existence by SUPPLANTING them.

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue." - Barry Goldwater

Posts: 1971 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: February 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
the ones whose life revolves around the shit.

I have a few friends that do it on weekends after a week of work. I don't really like it but their life does not revolve around it.
Now the 2 teenage kids in Michigan, different story. One got arrested for possession because he was buying off the medicinal grower and reselling it. Out of the house. To anyone.
He was in jail for a night and got out in the morning. When he went to court, he was put on probation. A few terms were given to him. 1st, he had to pass 90 days of once a week drug testing. He was going every Monday morning at 6am and pissing in a cup. 2nd, he had to graduate High school.
He stopped getting high and went to school but after the 90 days were up he started right back up. They told him that they could pull him for a random at any time. He started skipping school and basically smoking everyday. He got called on a Friday for a Monday morning test. Tried all those things at the drug store that say they'll clean your piss for a good test. He failed.
Never graduated high school either so guess where he ended up?
The other teenager was the starting running back on the HS football team. As a freshman! That talented. Weed is cool so that took over. He failed freshman English and was booted off the team. His response? "I don't care".
Did mj have a part to play? Yes but it wasn't the total part.
So now we want to legalize it. Make it accessible for anyone. I know they won't sell to minors if it's legalized and set up like a business. Do you think that's going to stop sales to minors? The growers in Michigan didn't care. The almighty dollar is what they were after.
My daughter pretty much summed it up for me. "Dad, hardly any kids drink anymore, they smoke weed now."
She knows better because I told her that if I caught her or smelled it on her, I'd beat her ass and take everything away from her.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Florida's current Med Marijuana law is a freaking joke. There is a 90 day wait from the time the doctor prescribes the marijuana to the time you can get it, and you need to have 3 office visits within those 90 days.

I walk into a pain management clinic and within that one appointment the doctor can legally prescribe me 60 Oxycodones and out the door I go. Oxy's are proven to be 99% addictive. But to get marijuana for my terminal cancer, from the same office, 90 days!

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Southflorida-law:
Florida's current Med Marijuana law is a freaking joke. There is a 90 day wait from the time the doctor prescribes the marijuana to the time you can get it, and you need to have 3 office visits within those 90 days.

Whoa! Hadn't heard about that.

The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Southflorida-law:

I walk into a pain management clinic and within that one appointment the doctor can legally prescribe me 60 Oxycodones and out the door I go. Oxy's are proven to be 99% addictive. But to get marijuana for my terminal cancer, from the same office, 90 days!

Marijuana is a gateway drug, they said so on Dragnet, so doctors gotta be real careful, you might get hooked on the Mexican dirt weed and move up to something more dangerous, like that oxy.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 16995 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigeinkcmo:
So, if you actually want to read a little about MJ and learn to realize the complexities in trying to put it into a one-size-fits-all description, check out this site: www.leafly.com

The thing that I think would be useful for this crowd is to read about the strains, the effects, the user reviews. People are searching for specific effects in strains. They're not always just trying to get blasted. Surely there's folks like that. But there are indeed a lot of users that are looking for quality of life improvements in their mental or physical health. Food for thought!

Currently here in Florida, the recently passed medical marijuana program doe not allow for the purchase of the leaf or flower. It is only available in the oil, tincture, or gel caps. Additionally, vaping may be an option in the future, but in both the Florida House and Senate, the only bills passed allow for these methods of delivery...Absolutely no smoking of the plant or edibles, period.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post