SIGforum
Legalization of Marijuana

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/9620040324

April 21, 2017, 09:41 AM
jhe888
Legalization of Marijuana
As a Federalist, I believe the Feds have no business criminalizing marijuana. It is not a federal issue.

And as a Libertarian, I don't think the states or the Feds should criminalize it either.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.
April 21, 2017, 09:59 AM
Southflorida-law
quote:
Originally posted by airsoft guy:.Marijuana is a gateway drug, they said so on Dragnet, so doctors gotta be real careful, you might get hooked on the Mexican dirt weed .....

And have a "bad trip" and chop up your family or rape white woman!
April 21, 2017, 10:20 AM
just1tym
quote:
Originally posted by Southflorida-law:
Florida's current Med Marijuana law is a freaking joke. There is a 90 day wait from the time the doctor prescribes the marijuana to the time you can get it, and you need to have 3 office visits within those 90 days.

I walk into a pain management clinic and within that one appointment the doctor can legally prescribe me 60 Oxycodones and out the door I go. Oxy's are proven to be 99% addictive. But to get marijuana for my terminal cancer, from the same office, 90 days!

Additionally, after the 90 days your able to get a recommendation from a licensed medical marijuana doctor who inputs your info to the Florida Dept of Health online, then you have to wait for the Dept of Health to send out a Compassionate Use Registry application, then you fill it out along with a passport photo, a copy of your drivers license/ID and $75 fee and mail it to the FL Dept of Health. Once they issue you a Compassionate Registry card along with a patient ID number, you may find a dispensary to get you prescription medicine. Even after the initial face to face with a licensed medical marijuana doctor, and get a recommendation, it may take up to an additional month or so to receive your patient registry info and ID number...so that may take you up to a possible 6 month timeframe just to get the medicine. Some folks may not have the luxury of time like that, especially the terminal, or others in desperate need of relief from debilitating pain. Most of this group aren't kids looking to get a buzz, but are elderly, veterans, and disabled looking for help.

I'd definitely agree that it's ridiculous how it's currently implemented here in Florida so far. They make you pay good sums of initial doctors fees, which btw, are not covered by most all insurances, so it's all out of pocket, make you wait unrealistic time frames and jump thru bureaucratic nonsense hoops. The House and Senate are trying to agree on differences, and expedite the process but, as you can imagine, it's a lot of BS politics when the Government is at the reigns, sadly. Even with the 71% of the Florida voters getting this passed, Government slows the process trying to sort out the details..

Regards, Will G.
April 21, 2017, 10:22 AM
airsoft guy
quote:
Originally posted by Southflorida-law:
quote:
Originally posted by airsoft guy:.Marijuana is a gateway drug, they said so on Dragnet, so doctors gotta be real careful, you might get hooked on the Mexican dirt weed .....

And have a "bad trip" and chop up your family or rape white woman!

Might start listening to that negro "jazz" music. I hear it makes you dance in an unChristian manner, with inappropriate touching, and movement of the pelvis!

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.
April 21, 2017, 10:26 AM
HRK
FL's law is going in the right direction about the way to dispense MMJ,

It addresses turning the MJ initiative into a pot access program for anyone. We know of the abuses of the law in CA and other states where a MJ card is just a way to legally get MJ for recreational use, FL is making the laws to be directed for medical use, as the vote was funded by "For the Money" Attorney John Morgan.

If you are one that needs medical MJ, then you should want it to not be a program like CA and others where its turned into a legalized dealer network.

Those guys thought they were hitting the good ol boy back room money pit, medical MJ like Cali, get a card from a quack and get high. Not going to happen here so their big plans for big pot farms and distribution centers, converting land to grow MJ, up in smoke!

I agree with decriminalization and legalization of Pot, it's no different than booze, the arguments for or against it are the same for or against booze.

Legalize it for medical or rec use and let the market decide quit hiding behind the medical excuse for approving it to only end up with a controlled non medical pot program.

As to the argument for great revenue, yes it will generate tax revenue but it will generate costs to the public which are always overshadowed by the pro pot folks as if the tax revenue will be 100% pure profit.

FL voters wanted medical MJ, they are getting a regulated controlled medical access to pot, the 75 day thing is a bit long, but that will work out over time. It's not going to be a card you can take into Buds Pot n Cheeto shack and walk out with a bag some papers and go get high.

April 21, 2017, 10:27 AM
ensigmatic
Transcript of the opening scroll for Reefer Madness:

quote:

The motion picture you are about to witness may startle you. It would not have been possible, otherwise, to sufficiently emphasize the frightful toll of the new drug menace which is destroying the youth of America in alarmingly increasing numbers. Marihuana is that drug - a violent narcotic - an unspeakable scourge - The Real Public Enemy Number One! Its first effect is sudden violent, uncontrollable laughter, then come dangerous hallucinations - space expands - time slows down, almost stands still... fixed ideas come next, conjuring up monstrous extravagances - followed by emotional disturbances, the total inability to direct thoughts, the loss of all power to resist physical emotions... leading finally to acts of shocking violence... ending often in incurable insanity. In picturing its soul- destroying effects no attempt was made to equivocate. The scenes and incidents, while fictionized for the purposes of this story, are based upon actual research into the results of Marihuana addiction. If their stark reality will make you think, will make you aware that something must be done to wipe out this ghastly menace, then the picture will not have failed in its purpose... Because the dread Marihuana may be reaching forth next for your son or daughter... or yours... or YOURS!

Yeah, look out for that Devil Weed!

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher
April 21, 2017, 10:29 AM
Prefontaine
quote:
Originally posted by MikeNH:
Not gonna support the legalization. There is no reliable way to test impaired people and by far my biggest reason to oppose it is I have zero desire to even slightly empower the pot lifestyle trash. Human garbage.

I'll take stoners on the road vs. drunks any day of the week. The stoner will drive slow and paranoid, on his/her way to the fast food joint to get their munchies. With a drunk all bets are off. I don't think anyone in the history of man has died from smoking marijuana. Drunks and alcohol killed thousands per day.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone
April 21, 2017, 10:34 AM
Sigmund
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:

...I don't think anyone in the history of man has died from smoking marijuana...

Ask our Colorado members. I recall reading about a death (maybe two) from eating MJ cookies. I can't remember if it was from the eating or from doing something stupid while stoned.
April 21, 2017, 10:35 AM
Sigfest
^^^^^^
Same in Ohio for medicinal use. But nothing's set up yet. However, the Drs aren't going to risk their fed FFL drug license prescribing a drug illegal under federal law. So they have no choice but to keep prescribing opiates. I just don't understand the reluctance on the fed level to permit at least the study of medicinal MJ.
April 21, 2017, 10:39 AM
airsoft guy
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
quote:

...I don't think anyone in the history of man has died from smoking marijuana...

Ask our Colorado members. I recall reading about a death (maybe two) from eating MJ cookies. I can't remember if it was from the eating or from doing something stupid while stoned.

Two whole people died from eating maryjuanita cookies? Or maybe they just died doing something stupid after eating them? Shit, if that's the criteria for a banning something, we are fucked. I think more people have been killed by breadsticks and clouds.

quote:
April 21, 2017, 10:40 AM
bigeinkcmo
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
quote:

http://www.denverpost.com/2014...mount-of-pot-cookie/

Ate 6x the recommended dose and jumped off a balcony. Drink too much water and you can die. Drink a few beers and jump off a balcony and you die too.

Anyhow, it wasn't the pot that killed him. In my opinion the guy was just a total dumb ass.

I'm not going to go through the entire DP website but I don't recall many other issues apart from this guy making the news 3 years ago. Surely there have been a few things but I'm certain there's no epidemic of pot-crazed balcony jumpers.
April 21, 2017, 10:43 AM
BBMW
I kind of waiting for Sessions to send the DEA into CO and start busting dispensaries. It seem like he wants to.
April 21, 2017, 10:48 AM
airsoft guy
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
I kind of waiting for Sessions to send the DEA into CO and start busting dispensaries. It seem like he wants to.

That would be a mistake.

Face it, cats and kittens, the war against pot is lost. There are far better things that we could be spending blood and treasure on then trying to bust some dopers. Time to pack this one in because that Genie is never going back in the bottle.

quote:
April 21, 2017, 11:01 AM
heatinajeep
the pot epidemic. a real tragedy.

meanwhile, the government and big pharma have people all over America hitched up on their legal shit and are making money hand over fist on sales and legal fees. A real addiction that's putting people in the god damned ground.

by all means though, those fucking stoners!1!

On a side note, I've been on the "pot" for 20+ years, somehow I managed to make it to work again today, and avoid the urge to pop oxy, or shoot heroin.
April 21, 2017, 11:27 AM
Pipe Smoker
Governments at all levels have an on-going war against tobacco, so I'm amazed that MJ is now being legalized by some of these same governments.

That said, I'm opposed to laws against drug use. They're useless –they can't even keep drugs out of prisons. And such laws enable a rich income stream for criminal organizations, and lead to corruption of police and judges. Not to mention the vast cost of trials and incarceration of drug suppliers and users.

Serious about crackers
April 21, 2017, 12:37 PM
bendable
has anyone heard anything about the use of weed by products ?

it seems like all these grow ops could sell the stuff to make hemp products.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first
April 21, 2017, 01:52 PM
Deqlyn
quote:
Originally posted by airsoft guy:
quote:

That would be a mistake.

Face it, cats and kittens, the war against pot is lost. There are far better things that we could be spending blood and treasure on then trying to bust some dopers. Time to pack this one in because that Genie is never going back in the bottle.

yup you know its over when MO and KS start making changes.

quote:
By The Associated Press

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — Possession of small amounts of marijuana in Kansas City will no longer bring a large fine or the possibility of jail time.

Kansas City voters on Tuesday approved a proposal that lowers the maximum fine to $25 from $500 and removes the possibility of up 180 days in jail.

The Kansas City Star reports the change applies only to cases in municipal court in which defendants possessed 35 grams or less of marijuana — about 1 1/4 ounces. Pleading guilty would still leave a mark on the defendant’s record, even if the ordinance violation isn’t technically a criminal matter.

The Kansas City Star reports that the measure was winning 71 percent of the vote with 97 percent of precincts reporting.

http://www.thecannabist.co/201...enalty-ballot/76682/

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke
April 21, 2017, 02:44 PM
BBMW
I sort of agree, but then congress should legalize it. The laws shouldn't stay on the books and be ignored.

If the Feds started busting pseudo-legal dealers, either congress would be forced to deal with it, or double down on it being illegal.

quote:
Originally posted by airsoft guy:
quote:

That would be a mistake.

April 21, 2017, 04:01 PM
Il Cattivo
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
has anyone heard anything about the use of weed by products ?

it seems like all these grow ops could sell the stuff to make hemp products.

Medical extracts, yes. Other hemp products (birdseed, ink, dye, cloth, rope, etc.) tend to be made from fibers, oils and other products that come from a variety of marijuana (ruderalis rather than sativa or indica) that either doesn't get people high or doesn't do a very good job of it. Basically you plant either for the high or the material, but not both.
April 21, 2017, 07:57 PM
flashguy
I am bothered by the fact that there is as yet no reliable test that a street cop can administer to prove a driver is stoned too much to be driving. The method needs to be non-invasive (no blood draw) because drawing body fluids requires a warrant and a medic. Without test results, the only recourse for a cop is to arrest and take to the station, where someone MAY be able to run a test. You folks can say all you want to about stoned drivers not being as dangerous as drunk ones, but I don't believe it, and I want a way to get them OFF the road.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth