SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Looking for a new Pepper Grinder
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for a new Pepper Grinder Login/Join 
posted
What's your go to pepper grinder?

Had two, one with a metal grinder and is great for fine grinding with a screw top. The second one was my go to for coarse grinding which has a ceramic grinder (used it on steaks, lever squeeze top). However, the last time I used it, the plastic lever broke inside. Frown

Not sure if this is common with ceramic, but it was better for coarse grinding.

I was looking around and the OXO seems to get good reviews.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F5MJCTS/

Recommendations... something quality that won't break the bank?

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I got a Unicorn Key Top pepper mill from amazon a few years ago. It does a good job and is easy to use.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Searching for my lost shaker of salt.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
I got a Vic Firth pepper grinder from the Spice House about 6 or 7 years ago. Excellent grinder and easily adjustable from coarse to fine and anywhere in between. I grind pepper several times daily. It's a work horse.

There is someone here who makes them out of burl and exotic woods that are gorgeous. Can't remember who but maybe he will step in.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8505 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That would be sig229-SAS - quite the artisan!

Posts: 43 | Location: North Florida | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2022:

This.

Posts: 12915 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Yarchin:
quote:

This.

Yes! I've purchased four grinders from Jim.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38601 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
I like the Kuhn Rikon Vase Grinder. I have two of them, one has been around for 10 years or so.

https://www.amazon.com/Kuhn-Ri...FTW064EGY149GBZ&th=1

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:

I purchased a set. They are expertly crafted.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I bought two of these one for salt and one for pepper in stainless steel a year ago.
Never looked back - awesome.

https://www.peppermills.com/?_...v=-&__utmk=243809413

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is Jim's website: http://www.bark2art.com/

Posts: 43 | Location: North Florida | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
I use a metate (one of the black volcanic rock ones) for bulk grinding when cooking. Just a regular 6" metal screw top for dining use.

Posts: 6400 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unicorn, best pepper grinder I've ever used.

Posts: 1181 | Location: DFW Metromess | Registered: May 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
I got a Unicorn Key Top pepper mill from amazon a few years ago. It does a good job and is easy to use.

I have a Unicorn Key Top pepper mill too. I've used it for 7+ years. It's ugly (looks like Darth Vader's pepper mill), but produces more ground pepper for a given amount of effort than any other pepper mill that I've used. Easy to adjust the grind, and holds the adjustment. Unicorn also sells the Magnum model, which is even more productive, but the teeth of its grinding mechanism are coarser, so it's not quite as good for fine grinds.

I also buy my pepper from Unicorn: Tellicherry peppercorns from the Malabar coast of India. The peppercorns are more uniform in size and color than grocery store offerings. It isn't quite as zippy as pepper from SE Asia (e.g., Vietnam), but has better flavor. The Unicorn peppercorns come in 5oz plastic bottles, and the bottle neck fits into the loading port of the Unicorn pepper mill. I can load the pepper fast, without spilling a single peppercorn.

http://www.unicornmills.com

ETA: I use a LOT of black pepper! I buy it in multi pound quantities. I go through a pound as quickly as most folks go through an ounce.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Pipe Smoker,

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8856 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Trophy Husband
Picture of C L Wilkins
posted Hide Post
Unicorn Magnum Plus.

Posts: 3200 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Fascinating... I just discussed pepper grinders with someone yesterday.

This was the recommendation:
http://www.wmboundsltd.com/product-p/00901.htm.

It's $30, but it's American-made.

God bless America.

Posts: 13427 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I have a William Bounds pepper mill I've had for a lot years. The ones I had before all broke pretty quickly. I've used this one daily for at least a decade, maybe more. Their mechanism is different from the standard issue pepper mills, and really works and holds up.

http://www.wmboundsltd.com/default.asp

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
America's tesr kitchen reccomends this:
https://www.amazon.com/Unicorn...-Black/dp/B0006GSR76

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54502 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
i had a unicorn for a time, they're the best going.

Posts: 8144 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I bought one of these in the 80s, a Turkish coffee grinder. Still use it everyday

Saw it first on the old PBS cooking show The Frugal Gourmet. I love it, and has been used almost daily for 30 years.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16613 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post