SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A-10 Warthog; Ugly Enough to be Your Mama
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A-10 Warthog; Ugly Enough to be Your Mama Login/Join 
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Most modern fighter aircraft (one and two engine) have about .35 to .95 thrust to weight dry, and 1.0 or better for fighter with after burner in use.

The A-10 is around .35 so "two half engines", for a fighter.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
I am gonna go google "target painting"

If that doesn’t produce results, google “laser designator.”

This is from the Twitter feed for Airman Magazine. It's a great video and it addresses your questions pretty well, bendable. Pilot narrative
Airman Magazine Video

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
And for those that care, the A-10 program just got funding to continue rebuilding their wings.

"How many more A-10s will get new wings still remains in limbo.

Air Force officials have said the service can commit to maintaining wings for six of its nine A-10 combat squadrons through roughly 2030.

"As far as exactly how many of the 280 or so A-10s that we have that we'll maintain forever, I'm not sure, that'll depend on a Department of Defense decision and our work with Congress," Holmes said.

On the exact squadron number, he clarified, "It's not a decision that we have to make right away. It'll depend on what we have, what we need and what's useful on the battlefield year-to-year as we go through it."

Of the 281 A-10s currently in the inventory, 173 have already been outfitted or are in the process of being outfitted with new wings (though one of the newly re-winged planes was destroyed in a crash), Stefanek said. That leaves 109 aircraft remaining in the inventory still slated to receive the upgrades, she said."

https://www.military.com/dodbu...any-re-wing-10s.html

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I wonder how many lives, the mere presence of this aircraft over the battlefield, has saved?

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Most modern fighter aircraft (one and two engine) have about .35 to .95 thrust to weight dry, and 1.0 or better for fighter with after burner in use.

Yeah they're of the turbofan type, so no afterburners.

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Great video... watch the compass to the right of the HUD when he fires the gun.

343 - Never Forget

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
That's just an in-flight compass swing. Pay no attention to that... Big Grin

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
We towed a trailer to Myrtle Beach every summer in the 1970s and 80s. Camped basically right at the beach just over the dunes. I used to run out for EVERY sticking one of their sortie flybys. At night, you could watch them popping flares out over the water. LOVE those planes. Always have, always will. It's my P-51 Mustang.

Posts: 11379 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
The finest CAS platform ever. That unmistakable banshee wail must absolutely terrify anyone about to take rounds from that monster.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15571 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
That's just an in-flight compass swing. Pay no attention to that... Big Grin

Seems like a little vibration there.

343 - Never Forget

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M-11:
And for those that care, the A-10 program just got funding to continue rebuilding their wings.

"How many more A-10s will get new wings still remains in limbo...

In my best Clarence the angel voice: "Every time a Haji terrorist asshole cries, an A-10 get its wings!"

It's all about clean living. Just do the right thing, and karma will help with the rest.

Posts: 1113 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: April 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by saigonsmuggler:
quote:

Yeah they're of the turbofan type, so no afterburners.
They are incredibly fuel efficient and much better performers down low. Also, the actual air inlet to the compressors is tiny compared to most fans I've seen and therefore much less likely to FOD out at the expense of not having nearly as good an ability to take in the thin air at altitude.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An interesting story about the A-10 being developed with help from a German WWII ace....

https://www.thedailybeast.com/...-forgotten-nazi-past

IMO, there is much German Ordinance we could have used during Korean War.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
just a wee bit of compass shake...amazing that it stays on the pin

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53176 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
glad they are funding the wing replacement program

I watch them fly in and out of DM every day

love 'em

if they can re-engine a B52, they can re-wing an A-10

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53176 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
We towed a trailer to Myrtle Beach every summer in the 1970s and 80s. Camped basically right at the beach just over the dunes. I used to run out for EVERY sticking one of their sortie flybys. At night, you could watch them popping flares out over the water. LOVE those planes. Always have, always will. It's my P-51 Mustang.

MB AFB closed 20+ years ago, another victim of BRAC. I went down there 30+ years ago with my ANG wing, loaded our A-10s with live Mk 82s there.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
From the video:
SHIV is the call sign,
"low-speed -- high drag"

Love it.

Posts: 18058 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post