SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I am looking for a new keyboard for my computer - Edit: I went with the Microsoft Sculpt
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I am looking for a new keyboard for my computer - Edit: I went with the Microsoft Sculpt Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
When I was programming I always used a Microsoft 4000 Natural Ergonomic keyboard. A while back out broke and I never thought to replace it until now. I don't think they make them anymore because everywhere that sells them has them listed for between $300 and $450. The used ones on eBay show they don't have the wrist lift, which I use.

I was looking around and the Microsoft Sculpt looks pretty interesting. Has anyone tried one? What do you think?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mark123,

Posts: 45371 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Logitech MK550 here.
The Sculpt looks interesting, but I cross over too much to use a split keyboard.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15289 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
My wife had an early MS wave keyboard, but it didn't last quality wise.

She went to Logitech, and has been a customer ever since.

One nice thing about Logitech is the unifying receiver. She can swap different between different mouse types without changing dongles (after the initial pairing is done).

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
I used the logitech MK550 for a long time. We're currently still running it on our other computers. We keep 1 new in the box in the closet, but typically get 3-4 years out of them.

I'm using a Corsair K95 mechanical now, I find that I can type faster on the mechanical...but it drives everyone else nuts. I think I saw in an email that they are making this keyboard in a wireless form now. I would look for that if this one ever quits or for my next one. I like being able to replace individual keys should they break. The lights are fancy also...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13951 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
I can't help you pick a keyboard because I just use what's cheapest but maybe this will help.

The Best Ergonomic Keyboards for 2020

Posts: 3375 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Logitech MX Keys

“I'm fat because everytime I do your girlfriend, she gives me a cookie”.

Posts: 546 | Registered: December 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Mechanical Keyboard.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10909 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Logitech MK550 here.
The Sculpt looks interesting, but I cross over too much to use a split keyboard.
On my current work computer I'm running a Logitech k350 Wave that looks like the mk550. It's not as natural feeling as a split keyboard to me. I don't really like it but it's not used very much so I kept it in service.

Posts: 45371 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paten:
I can't help you pick a keyboard because I just use what's cheapest but maybe this will help.

The Best Ergonomic Keyboards for 2020
Ah, perfect. Thanks! They gave the Sculpt good marks.

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
Mechanical Keyboard.
I don't think I want a mechanical because I'll be using it while making videos. I'm not sure I want the tikkatak in the audio.

Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
IBM makes the best keyboards, if you can find one. Otherwise, Logitech.

"Best" meaning a combination of haptics and longevity.

Posts: 6459 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
Mechanical Keyboard.
I don't think I want a mechanical because I'll be using it while making videos. I'm not sure I want the tikkatak in the audio.

There are quiet mechanical keyboards, they aren't all loud. The distinction between mechanical and non-mechanical keyboards is that mechanical keyboards have an actual mechanical switch under each key, rather than little rubber bumps that squish into circuit board contacts.

Some mechanical keyboards (with "clicky" switches - a felt bump and audible click when the switch actuates) are very loud, but others (with "tactile" (felt bump on actuation) or "linear" (no bump, just pushes straight down) switches) can be as quiet as a typical rubber dome keyboard depending on the specific switches used and how the keyboard is constructed (there are also o-rings you can put around the keycap stems that keep the keys from bottoming out all the way, which makes them quieter - doesn't help with clicky switches, but helps with the others).

quote:
Originally posted by architect:
IBM makes the best keyboards, if you can find one. Otherwise, Logitech.

"Best" meaning a combination of haptics and longevity.

IBM hasn't made their famous keyboards in a long time, but a company called Unicomp bought all the machines IBM used to use to make the Model M buckling-spring keyboards, and still makes keyboards basically identical to the old IBM Model M keyboards (except for being USB).

They have the crispest, most pleasant typing experience of any keyboard I have used (I'm typing on one right now), but fair warning, they are INCREDIBLY loud. I have used quieter typewriters.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be prepared for loud noise and recoil
Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
The ultimate for keyboard nerds.

Model F Keyboards

“Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant.” – James Madison

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 3620 | Location: Middle Tennessee  | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm not sure I want the tikkatak in the audio.

well if you are making TicTok videos, the Tikkatak might be tasty.....

I run the Logitec K350, prefer these style keyboards, it's more natural position than a
cheap flat straight keyboard. Better on my wrists.

Posts: 23403 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:
I'm not sure I want the tikkatak in the audio.

well if you are making TicTok videos, the Tikkatak might be tasty.....

I run the Logitec K350, prefer these style keyboards, it's more natural position than a
cheap flat straight keyboard. Better on my wrists.
Yeah, I have a K350. I think I'm going to go with the Microsoft Stealth.

Thanks all!

Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
I used the Logitech m550 for years. Then I switched to mechanical keyboards and I have not looked back.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3588 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I usually put a Microsoft keyboard + Mouse with most all the systems I sell.
The MS Wireless 5050 is a nice one most of the time.
For myself my favorite is the MX800 combo but it looks like it has been replaced by the MX900.
It has the best of features ~ backlit, rechargeable and nice configurable software pkg.
Kind of pricey but a nice unit.

https://www.logitech.com/en-us...ance-combo?crid=1759

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orthogonal
posted Hide Post
Mechanical keyboards that use the Cherry brand-like mechanical switches standards would seem to offer the greatest range of choices with regard to silence or clicks, depression depth of key travel and actuation, and the forces required. The link below is a great assist in making your choice. Each switch version is uniquely named with a familiar color and there is a useful colored chart at the wiki link. Gamers predominately or apparently go for Red and typists seem to like the Blue or Clear or Green switches.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherry_(keyboards)

Then one has to find a sales outlet for the brand that offers the switch choice you seek which isn't necessarily easy. My most recent choice is the "Code" brand, said to be designed in the USA and built in Taiwan, with 'Clear' switches. This brand, wired only AFAIK, is now up to the 3rd major version which has resolved early 'bugs or annoyances', the "Code V3". There is also commonly a choice of two layouts, namely the 104 key model which has the numeric keypad extended to the right and the shorter 88(?) key model without same.

Code keyboards are not inexpensive and used ones are even dear. Logitech also makes some nice similar ones as well as others. There are many many cheap knockoffs of the real Cherry switches from Asia around as well and many seem to be ok. Well lighted keys are another nice feature on some. Gamers seem to drive the market and they demand lightning fast easily actuated switches. The ability to reprogram keys also seems to be attractive to some market segment, presumably gamers. The last point is that key spacings are uniform to a world wide standard, so if you suffer 'fat fingers' or overly long or short fingers give in now.
Good hunting!

Posts: 519 | Registered: May 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Go to this web site, the keyboard is a copy of the IBM model M buckling spring keyboard. The company is Unicomp and they are actually making a genuine copy of the Model M with actually buckling springs. Note, this particular design originated in the IBM Selectric typewriter and if you have ever used one of these typewriters you will understand why this is a true Cult Keyboard.

https://www.pckeyboard.com/

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5645 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I'm going with an ergonomically correct keyboard.