SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bought A Car For Tabitha
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bought A Car For Tabitha Login/Join 
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted
Tabitha had this 17 year old Sentra for 13 years now. She and it went through everything together, she named it Brad. Then she totaled him.

I managed to straighten it out and let her drive it almost three more years. Now she has to go to Mississippi every few months and take care of her mother and Brad has over 200k on it along with severe unibody damage. There are cracks starting to develop in the shock towers.

The BMW is almost paid off, so I set out to find something I could take to work as my old Frontier is getting tired at 300k on it and the BMW is just a mid life crisis weekend toy.

She likes the Juke for its size and body style.

I OK'd it because it's selective AWD. I can use it in the bad weather to get to work, turn it off for better mileage.

I am not a fan of the CVT, but Tabitha can't use the standard transmission. The 1.6 turbo engine is peppy with plenty of power, more than her SE/R had.

Well, here it is.

The Red Toad.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
They are toadlike in their appearance. Hope it serves y'all faithfully.

Posts: 26900 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
That's awful nice of you, pretty nice ride.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4618 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Syngin1066
posted Hide Post
One of my neighbors has one and loves it. Hope you have many trouble free miles with it.

All I've had all day is like six gummy bears and some scotch...

Posts: 4851 | Location: Celina, TX | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
We call them junebugs! Should be a nice ride for her.

Posts: 17884 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
I had a 2012 Juke . Nice little car. Putting the CVT in Sport mode makes a world of difference.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Brad looks like a pug.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Drop in a GTR V6 and transmission. No more CVT. Big Grin

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
You did some nice repair work on Brad and the red toad doesn't look all that bad.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8753 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
Eeewwww, don't touch it!

[/QUOTE]

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6313 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
I thought my daughter was the only one who saw a toad in that car.

The CVT... You get used to it, I call it a snowmobile trans. Ignore the noises just mash the long pedal till it arrives at the speed you desire. Oh, change the fluid with Nissan sourced fluid, it's supposed to matter.

I like the styling but I'm too damned fat, too fat for stuff.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5150 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
As for Nissan CVTs: I have one in my '12 Maxima (with the VQ35DE engine...big difference from an I-4 in terms of rev range, etc). If you have the flappy paddles to mimic manual shifting...it makes a big difference and makes the CVT palatable. I use them about 90% of the time I'm driving.
As for fluid: Lubegard makes great transmission/CVT fluids that transmission shops swear by. I changed the CVT fluid in the Maxima and used their CVT fluid. World of difference.
I also use their trans fluid additive in my '04 BMW's GM-made 5 speed automatic. It stopped the torque converter stuttering that is common, and really smoothed things out.
Enjoy the Red Toad!

Posts: 3805 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
At what mileage do you change it?

What trans fluid additive brand did you use?

My BMW does the torque converter shudder at around 6000rpm. It has the GM 5 speed.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Toad. Hah! I think my Edge looks like a turtle.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30659 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
At what mileage do you change it?

What trans fluid additive brand did you use?

My BMW does the torque converter shudder at around 6000rpm. It has the GM 5 speed.

Marzy--
For the BMW's torque converter shudder (GM-France 5 speed automatic), I used Lubegard's Shudder Fix additive, found here: http://www.lubegard.com/~/C-230/Instant+Shudder+Fixx
It took a while for it to begin really working, as most of my driving is around town at lower speeds/durations. Once I started taking it on 50+ mile trips...you could really feel it start to work. Getting the trans and fluid up to temp for longer durations really helps.
Add a container of this, "while you're in there": http://www.lubegard.com/~/C-11...mance+ATF+Protectant

As for the CVT in your Nissan: I bought the Maxima used, with 67k miles on it. I did the CVT fluid swap at about 74k miles. It's really easy (no filter), you just drain out the old and replace with the new.

MAKE SURE you measure the amount that comes out, and replace with the same amount of new fluid. Do this once, then drive for, say, 6 months, and do it again. Eventually...you will replace almost all the fluid. Makes a world of difference. Your CVT may have a capacity of 7 quarts (I'm guessing at that number), but you will only get about 1/2 (or less) when you drain.
This fluid from Lubegard is rated for Nissan and Honda CVTs, and actually does some things better than the factory fluid: http://www.lubegard.com/~/C-10...D+COMPLETE+CVT+Fluid

You can buy almost all Lubegard products direct on Amazon.com, or you may get lucky and find some at O'Reilly's (where I found the Shudder Fix) or NAPA.

Posts: 3805 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Looks pretty zippy.

The boys on The Grand Tour always mention them.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
I drove it Saturday and it's plenty peppy
I believe I'll replace the CRV with an AWD Juke

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39752 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old, Slow,
but Lucky!
Picture of dsmack
posted Hide Post
SC ~ I hope it treats Tabitha and you to many miles of faithful service!

In all honesty, I just couldn't get past the look of the vehicle myself, but then I'm an old fart, and it's not my money, eh? Wink
Don

Posts: 3418 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: March 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always felt better when my better half drove a dependable vehicle.

I like red, and the wheels.

"You can take your pistol and stick it so far up your ass, the muzzle of it is visible when you cough."

Posts: 1248 | Registered: February 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Make that a red ROAD toad!

Posts: 693 | Location: E. Central Missouri | Registered: January 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post