SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    After 9 short months, our pups Lymphoma is back.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

After 9 short months, our pups Lymphoma is back. Login/Join 
Picture of NMPinNYC
posted Hide Post
Very sad for you and your pup. We lost our shelter-rescue senior-citizen kitty due to a recurrence of a lymphoma that we treated successfully two years before. Upon the recurrence we did the prednisone treatment which helped for about six weeks, and then a chemical chemo treatment. She told me she was ready to go though, and I gave her the last, greatest gift of love we can give to our animals. I let her go from her pain. She is still on my laptop and on my phone as the background, two years later. We have a new rescue kitty that we also love, but my girl is still firmly implanted in my heart.

May I refer you to the videos of a veterinarian named Karen Becker? She shares some beautiful thoughts about having the strength and wisdom of when to say goodbye:
https://healthypets.mercola.co...et-webinar-2016.aspx

I wish you strength and peace.

Best regards,
Nick.

NRA Life Member and Certified Instructor

Posts: 710 | Location: Back in northern NJ/NY State Catskills | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
These moments are the toughest parts of being a pet owner, watching them get to a point where you have to really consider what is best for them. It sounds like she’s still happy, so hopefully the treatment will help her condition to improve. She’s in my thoughts. <I type this surrounded by 2 dogs and a cat>

Posts: 3518 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not your average
kind of girl
Picture of P226RN
posted Hide Post
I am glad to hear the treatment is helping. We had extra time with my girl thanks to chemo and radiation and hardly any side effects. Prayers for you and your special girl. It is so hard when they go through this. She is blessed to have you!

If it won't matter in 5 years don't give it more than 5 minutes.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Bye Bye Maryland! Hello WV! | Registered: May 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
I have no advice but I will say a prayer for your pup and your family.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Always for the pups well being and never for ours.

Anyway, last treatment tomorrow. The vet says she’s in remission and doing well. Her fur is still a little thinner but it’s growing fast where they shave for the IV.

She’s done very well outside of two accidents, one was my fault for not letting her into the yard while I brought groceries in or something.

We learned a lot. Always shop Rx prices for things like Cerenia nausea pills and even the one cancer drug that we had to get at the pharmacy. Big price differences. Chewy.com is good for the Cerenia. CBD treats help as well, thanks again Jeff, and they help calm the other dogs so they don’t bother her. Give nausea meds before treatment and after per direction. It didn’t say and we didn’t think about the before dose. It helps tremendously. Same if you need to give an Imodium or Rx anti-diarrhea. She did so much better that way.

An Instapot works awesome to cook chicken to wear it is easily shredded to be used as a primary food when the pups are sick. And as a protein boost when reintroducing kinda kibble. Shredded is good as it goes down easier, she didn’t like Milk Bones for the first few days after each treatment. Probably because of the breathing tube irritation. Green beans as well if the pup will eat them. Good filler and fiber. They don’t care for the rice but cottage cheese is good too. Add a little extra water to the Instapot and keep the broth to add to the kibble for taste and softness.

She’s happy and chasing and catching her tail, she bosses the boys around when they get rough. I’d do it again for another dog.

I think the week or two of heavy Prednisone was worse on her and us than the chemo. Drinking tons of water and having to go out every 2 hours at night was rough.

Thanks for the tips and well wishes!

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
God bless you and your pup.

Posts: 735 | Registered: February 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post

Happy at the vet.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post