SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    After 9 short months, our pups Lymphoma is back.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

After 9 short months, our pups Lymphoma is back. Login/Join 
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
First chemo treatment down, 8 to go. She is currently passed out in her normal spot. The vet said they usually do well until the 4th treatment or so. Upped the prednisone to 1mg per lb for 7 days.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8343 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dgrdvm
posted Hide Post
If there is any silver lining to LSA in dogs, it is that this a very common cancer so there is a lot known on treatment options, response and prognosis. A good veterinary oncologist can be very helpful, if you are not seeing one, or if your GP needs some advice.

I really hope she shows a great response to treatment - many of them will, and the quality of life can be pretty good.

"Think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are stupider than that'
George Carlin

Posts: 504 | Location: St Louis | Registered: June 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Cancer sucks. I lost my Rottweiler to it. I'm very sorry you and your buddy have to deal with it.

Nothing else to say that hasn't already been said.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15207 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It seemed like a good idea...
Picture of lude4life
posted Hide Post
Very sorry to hear Frown

I just lost my 10 year old boy this morning to cancer.

He was perfect and healthy and great until last week. There were no signs and he went down hill so fast. Was throughout his whole body and we had no clue.

I am glad you are on top of it and I hope everything turns out for the best!

-Jay

"Assault is a type of behavior, not a type of hardware." -Alan Korwin

Posts: 2810 | Location: Central Oregon | Registered: November 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
Prayers sent...

Posts: 4498 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Lost my 9 y/o Golden to it last Spring and it still hurts. He, too, went so fast it shocked me. Two weeks from the first symptoms.

Here's hoping your pup pulls through.

Posts: 20075 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Thanks all! Our vet is consulting with an oncologist for the treatment plan. Not surprising, but the drugs are the same as for humans.

Posts: 8343 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
Hoping for the best. Our pal Chuck had the same diagnosis. We did chemo and it gave us 14 months of normal time with him.

In our experience chemo had zero negative effects. It did increase his appetite and we were thrilled to oblige.

Best wishes.

Posts: 12917 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Gustofer, I’m sorry to hear. I think we caught it early enough.

Jeff, I’m glad to hear. She won’t go hungry, but we have to be careful as she’s developed a sensitive stomach. She now gets fed 4 times a day with some yogurt or cottage cheese. She gets about one cup more food overall now. She’s always had an appetite so that was the first clue something was off.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Riley,

My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
Email sent.

posted Hide Post
I’m sorry to hear you’re dealing with this. I put my pup down this morning after finding out she had an inoperable brain tumor.
I hope your pup has a successful course of treatment and gets to spend more time with you.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: March 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Yarchin:
Email sent.

Jeff, I did not receive your email.

My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
Sent again.

Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
Picture of thomjb
posted Hide Post
Keeping all in my prayers, lost 2 Brittanys to that many years ago.still miss them..

Thom

"Tulta munille!"
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
SAF Life Member

Posts: 2835 | Location: SouthWest IN | Registered: August 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Jeff, received your email, thank you! She’s on her normal diet and we’ve added some plain yogurt on which she’s doing well so far. We may need something more targeted later. She does eat 4 times a day now, split her two meals in half to make 4. Half at 4am and the other half at 7:30am with her Prednisone. Again at night.

The two boys love the extras, since we feed them all the same per size anyway.

My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
If you need a probiotic later look into Bloom Digestive Aid. It’s suspended in liver powder they cant resist.

For pain and anxiety look into Canna Pet Max biscuits. It’s a holistic CBD product that we have great results with.

We use it with our dogs, one for siezures and one for anxiety.

I'm Pickle Rick!
Picture of Pickle Rick
posted Hide Post
I have no advice. Just my sincere condolences. Thank you for giving a rescue a chance at a good life.

Posts: 2873 | Location: Lancaster, PA. | Registered: February 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That sucks man. Sorry to hear this.

We put down our 16 year old jack russel terrier mix a month ago due to lymphoma in the blood work. On my birthday in fact.

Posts: 4753 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Things were progressing well for the first 4-5 weeks. She skipped a week due to low blood cell count, so we cut her back on the Prednisone and she was able to get a treatment next week.

The prednisone really increased her appetite as well as thirst and we spent many a night being up every hour or so to let her out.

Two Fridays ago was the nasty drug, doxorubicin. She was okay for a day or two and then massive diarrhea and some vomiting. She’s still letting us know she needs out so only two oopsies, both my fault really. No appetite and she’s lost 10ish pounds. It was tough and the vet questioned if we wanted to continue at her treatment yesterday. We said yes. She was giving an injection of anti nausea and we pulled her with an Rx anti diarrhea med.

Finally about mid morning today, she’s perked up and has eaten a fair quantity of baked chicken and some eggs and cheese. No more diarrhea today.

She seems almost normal now. We are currently awaiting a shipment of CannaPet treats from Mr. Yarchin. We’ll try the oil as well probably.

She still enjoys going with me to get the mail. We watch her close and will do what’s best for her.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Riley,

Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
Lost one of my pups 2 years ago to hermangiosarcoma. I strongly recommend the turkey tail supplement mentioned earlier. It did seem to help him even though there was no option for a cure.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2386 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post