SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    15 years ago tonight... (kind of long)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

15 years ago tonight... (kind of long) Login/Join 
posted
...August 8, 2002...I was heading home in SW Iowa where I was teaching after visiting my girlfriend, now my awesome wife, when I made a decision that I honestly feel benefited my life.

I had just turned off I-80 and headed south when I saw a Harley pulled off under the overpass and, about 1/4 mile up the road the rider walking along the shoulder. He was hard to see despite his flashlight guiding him. I'm sure he was walking towards the closest lights, the gas station a solid 2 miles away.

I slowed but rolled on ahead of him, something just didn't feel right and, against my better judgement, turned around and went back. I stopped on the opposite shoulder, kept my G19 in hand and asked if he needed any help. He explained that he was from Michigan, heading back from Sturgis and had been suffering from battery issues the last few hundred miles. His bike finally died and he was able to get off the interstate and was heading towards the gas station.

Being a HD rider as well, I told him to grab his bags and hop in and I would see what I could do, but it was 11pm. I drove him around that night to different WalMart stores in hopes of a battery, but nothing panned out. Ended up dropping him off at a motel nearby and gave him the number of the local shop who fixed him up the next morning.

Before I left the motel, he offered to pay me for my gas and time, but I declined, saying that someday I hope if I need help, someone will do the same. He thanked me over and over, finally stating that he felt in his heart I was his guardian angel and he would say a prayer for me that night.

Fast forward to June of 2003, me sliding down a darkened highway with my HD on top of me as I just hit a deer. I was 5 months away from my proposal to my wife and in those few seconds wondered if would get to do that. As the highway was tearing up my bike and my body, I closed my eyes and remembered the biker I had helped. I hoped he had indeed said a prayer for me.

When I finally came to a stop, I was in the middle of a pitch black road, my bike on top of me, hit oil all over and my body aching like no other pain I had ever encountered. I thought a car would probably hit me as it wouldn't see me in time, especially when I saw the headlights approaching from behind me...I have to admit, I was scared and realized this was probably it. Then I heard the vehicle stop and aw the blue of emergency lights flashing across the road and ditch. I heard the doors open and a voice call out my name...MY NAME!

It was the boyfriend of one of my students...and he was an EMT. The rest is history and I am here today.

I've often thought about those two nights and my decision to stop. Maybe it was my turn to do good, maybe it was that biker's prayer or maybe it was just luck. Maybe it was all three.

We can be a cyclical bunch here, but I more often than not see the greatness of the people on the forum. Just wanted to share that with a group of people whom I know would have been the ones that would stop.

Drive and ride safe everyone...

Posts: 715 | Location: NE Iowa | Registered: October 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Probably not a coincidence that the words 'kindness' and 'karma' begin with a 'k'. Thanks for sharing a great story and glad it all worked out in the end.

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Great story, thanks for sharing it.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6395 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
For many reasons too long to indulge, I will say that there are many things that happen that cannot be explained away or dismissed with the wave of a hand becuase we do not comprehend them.

We and all that is, is more than random particles knocking about and making sparks.

Glad your hear to tell the tale, all these years later, and may you one day begin with; "65 years ago tonight..."

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43870 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
For many reasons too long to indulge, I will say that there are many things that happen that cannot be explained away or dismissed with the wave of a hand becuase we do not comprehend them.

We and all that is, is more than random particles knocking about and making sparks.

Yes, indeed. I second this.

Glad your hear to tell the tale, all these years later, and may you one day begin with; "65 years ago tonight..."

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Great story and ending. Smile

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7070 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Cynicism and compassion are not mutually exclusive traits.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31430 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Good story.
As ye sow, so shall ye reap.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
God always has the plan and, most of the time we as mere humans do not know what it is nor do we necessarily need to know just trust. A great story thanks for sharing.

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing that story.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post