SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Who makes a high quality filing cabinet?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who makes a high quality filing cabinet? Login/Join 
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted
I am looking for two 26-28" tall filing cabinets to support my desk. Desk is really just my mom's old kitchen table I refinished, but it is heavy. I haven't picked it up or moved it in the last year or so after refinishing it, so I am not positive of the weight, but I would guess +/- fifty pounds.

Who makes a strong high quality filing cabinet? Looking for Almond/Black/Brown, nothing grey or white.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Hon. Pretty much the standard.

Posts: 17881 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use Hon.

LINK

Posts: 2267 | Location: San Francisco, CA | Registered: February 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I lived In Dayton, there was a used office furniture store. They sold used high $$$ fireproof file cabinets with combination locks cheap.
You might check around locally to see if you have a similar store.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16072 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
They sold used high $$$ fireproof file cabinets with combination locks cheap.

A fire file would be a much stronger base for a top and you get the added benefit of having a fire resistant place to store other items.

These things are very expensive new, but due to the low demand on the used side can often be found at a fraction of their new cost.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
A fire file

Is that a brand or a style?

My budget is $500, preferably $400 or less if possible (for two units).

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Schwab, Sentry (after they bought Schwab, not the plastic versions), Victor, Fire King.

There are others, but stay away from anything olive drab green, or built prior to the 1980s.

It also just dawned on me that you're close to DC. If you don't need the fire resistance a GSA (government) file cabinet would also be an outstanding choice. They even make the Hons look like toys from a construction standpoint. Anything still certified would be big money, but I think you'd be in an area where the surplus units would be plentiful.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Schwab, Sentry (after they bought Schwab, not the plastic versions), Victor, Fire King.

There are others, but stay away from anything olive drab green, or built prior to the 1980s.

It also just dawned on me that you're close to DC. If you don't need the fire resistance a GSA (government) file cabinet would also be an outstanding choice. They even make the Hons look like toys from a construction standpoint. Anything still certified would be big money, but I think you'd be in an area where the surplus units would be plentiful.

^^^^^^^
Frank is correct. Filing cabinets are expensive new, but surplus is dirt cheap. The government has auctions from time to time and people are always going out of business(particularly now).

Posts: 17226 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stay away from fire rated filing cabinets unless you really need them . They are clunky and heavy and a bitch to move around .

Posts: 4051 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
Hon. Pretty much the standard.
Yep.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
I didn't want a metal filing cabinet. My wife's office was getting rid of stuff and I snagged a wood one. Really nice. The brand is National Office Furniture, the model is Flourish. I am quite happy with it. You might check Craigslist, or local office liquidators. Not sure if this will fit your need if you're going to use it as part of a desk though.

https://www.nationalofficefurn...age/flourish-storage

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
HON.
[cliff_claven](Company was based in my small Iowa hometown where I was born and raised)[/cliff_claven]

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Look at used on Craigslist, eBay or other resale sites.
Used commercial stuff (not from dealers) goes cheap and is much higher quality than new office stores. The office supply stuff is crap.

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ewills
posted Hide Post
Skins,

You might try Gerstel office furniture in Merrifield next to the post office. My old shop was once located next door. They have warehouses full of used office furniture, cabinets, equipment, etc. I have always found them to be very inexpensive when I needed something from them. They sometimes have some vintage higher end stuff. Treat buying there a bit like a flea market. Everything is negotiable.

EW

Posts: 308 | Location: NOVA | Registered: February 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
Universities shed filing cabinets, and used furniture and equipment through auctions.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was going to suggest the University cull pile as well.

But, I've called the U of Iowa three times ,since July and can't reach a soul.

They might be shut down.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54612 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Also if you have a habitat for humanity ,
They get office furniture as well,
The stuff I have found there is more expensive than yard
Sales

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54612 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
But, I've called the U of Iowa three times ,since July and can't reach a soul.

They might be shut down

^^^^^^^
Call the number for the endowment. LOL Hawkeyes are still playing. Everyone that can is working remotely. My daughter teaches at the University level and works totally online. Send an email.

Posts: 17226 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
Fire King Turtle is the brand and model I use.

They are good solid file cabinets however, they are expensive new.

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1930 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
I have owned a Hon for almost 20 years bought used. It is a quality product, for a metal filing cabinet .

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post