SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Waiting for the acceptance letter. (Update- first post}
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Waiting for the acceptance letter. (Update- first post} Login/Join 
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is the week high school students get the early acceptance letter from the college they chose. You can only do this with one college.
My daughter chose Vanderbilt.

Can she re-apply without the "early acceptance"?
If she really wants to go there... it might be worth a try. Is the regular deadline 12/31 for applications?

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24072 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
These days, legacy, monetary contributions and the desire to have a "Diverse" student body leads to decisions that are not based upon academics alone. Not long ago, Vanderbilt was actively recruiting Jewish applicants as it was determined that they were underrepresented.

Posts: 17225 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A bitter pill to swallow for your daughter... Something tells me that she is going to grow from this setback. Smart people with a large amount of drive will overcome. Your daughter definitely falls into that category.

Posts: 7546 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I didn’t get my first choice in post-med school residency training, and I’ve been grateful for that ever since.
Resilience is the key.

Posts: 18044 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
She won’t want to hear this. Honestly, save the money and go to instate public institution. At the undergraduate level, institution names are of limited value. The cost and loans for an over-priced education is not worth the years of pay off.

More info is coming to light regarding this.

Regardless, congratulations on a very accomplished individual.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 862 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
disappointing - but as you know - not the end of the world

best wishes !

many great things in her future regardless

----------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
Are you saying her SAT score was 1490 on the 1600 scale? She should easily get into an Ivy. If Vanderbilt turned her down I seriously would not worry about it. The advice to get the undergrad degree from a state school and avoid debt is great advice. Unless an Ivy with a big endowment offers a big scholarship, and she wants to go there.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I bet she will be accepted in regular admission. If she wants Vandy, be patient.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5050 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
These days, legacy, monetary contributions and the desire to have a "Diverse" student body leads to decisions that are not based upon academics alone. Not long ago, Vanderbilt was actively recruiting Jewish applicants as it was determined that they were underrepresented.

While I am not Jewish, she is as are all my kids considered since my wife is Jewish. I don't know if that was on her application or not. She wants to get a college choice out of the way and not stress all the way to May. She can now pick other schools and even try Vanderbilt again, but each school has a few that adds up over time. The fee is around $75, and in the long run is not too big a deal, but it she applies to 10 colleges it will start to hurt a little.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by El Cid 92:
She won’t want to hear this. Honestly, save the money and go to instate public institution. At the undergraduate level, institution names are of limited value. The cost and loans for an over-priced education is not worth the years of pay off.

More info is coming to light regarding this.

Regardless, congratulations on a very accomplished individual.

Andrew

I too thought that would be the way to go as both my wife and I graduated from State Universities.
The State Universities don't give as much as private schools, and she will actually have to pay less to go to a better private university. It's crazy to me, but we looked for the last 2 years on how to make this happen.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
I didn’t get my first choice in post-med school residency training, and I’ve been grateful for that ever since.
Resilience is the key.

Same here; sometimes things work out....

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post