SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Waiting for the acceptance letter. (Update- first post}
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Waiting for the acceptance letter. (Update- first post} Login/Join 
In Deo Fiducia Nostra
Picture of SigEd
posted Hide Post
Best of luck to her. Anchor Down and Go Dores!!!

SigEd

P220ST .45ACP
P229 .40SW
P229 9mm
P239 9mm
P232SL
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 468 | Location: Franklin, TN | Registered: May 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
Best wishes to your daughter and tell her Anchor Down!

quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:
This is the week high school students get the early acceptance letter from the college they chose. You can only do this with one college.
My daughter chose Vanderbilt. Her SAT is 1490, she works, has all high grades, is an EMT and other community projects, school clubs, Band Major etc....
Yesterday she must have asked 5 times if the mail came. I laughed and told her to pull up a chair on the front porch and watch for the mail truck. If she doesn't get in to Vanderbilt, she will apply to Dartmouth.

Posts: 8610 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:

I'm guessing with a 1490 she's in

---------------------------------------

The average SAT is 1530 for entering freshmen, but her extra-curricular activities will be a plus. And if they don't have enough kids from NJ that will help too. She definitely sounds qualified.

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Sounds like an amazing young lady. I'm sure no matter which way it works out, she'll have a great ride with a trajectory like that.

Posts: 11377 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
Sounds like an amazing young lady. I'm sure no matter which way it works out, she'll have a great ride with a trajectory like that.

I agree. Wherever she goes, she is going to excel!

Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
If she gets in, with scholarships our share will be 7K a year. They do a 100% need. Dartmouth will be slightly more. My older son graduated from Stevens University two years ago with an Engineering degree In computers, he had to come up with 22K at scholarships. She is the last one so it will be hard to see her go away to school. Big house, no kids except for weekends.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4014 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Did you or your wife go to college? If not, she's a shoe in. Seems kids whose parents didn't go to college are the hot trend among admissions departments across the country. They call it "first generation".

So she might get in, and I sincerely hope she does, but her kids, not so much.

At 1490, they'd be idiots not to let her in, but there are certainly kids that barely scraped together 1000 who will be admitted in the name of diversity and inclusivity.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10353 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:
Did you or your wife go to college? If not, she's a shoe in. Seems kids whose parents didn't go to college are the hot trend among admissions departments across the country. They call it "first generation".

So she might get in, and I sincerely hope she does, but her kids, not so much.

At 1490, they'd be idiots not to let her in, but there are certainly kids that barely scraped together 1000 who will be admitted in the name of diversity and inclusivity.

Both of us went to college. My wife was the first person to go through Rutgers Engineering with a 4.0 in 18 years. I had a 3.42, but my classes were a lot easier than the ones she took. I first went to college at age 44, graduated at 49.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4014 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dlc444:
Fingers crossed for the first choice.

Daughter is looking at both of those schools. Coming from Tampa, I am guessing a February visit to Dartmouth will increase the odds of Vanderbilt.

I visited Dartmouth on the hottest day of the summer, way in the high 90's. Didn't finish the tour. My wife and daughter had visited it earlier. I enjoyed what I saw and what courses they have. You can walk off campus and into Vermont in 10 minutes. I have camped in Vermont and New Hampshire for the past 30 years and like the idea of Dartmouth, but this is for her, so I hope she gets her choice.

Living the Dream

Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
Hope she gets what she wants, sounds like she has earned the opportunity!

BTW- sign up for informed delivery and you get an email each morning with a scanned image of the mail that will be delivered to you that day. No more waiting at the box Smile

https://informeddelivery.usps....s/intro/start.action

Thanks, I just signed up. It shows no mail to be delivered, but it probably hasn't been scanned in yet. All days show 0.

Living the Dream

Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
If she gets in, with scholarships our share will be 7K a year. They do a 100% need. Dartmouth will be slightly more. My older son graduated from Stevens University two years ago with an Engineering degree In computers, he had to come up with 22K at scholarships. She is the last one so it will be hard to see her go away to school. Big house, no kids except for weekends.

$7k a year is a great price. Vandy is an excellent school and Nashville is a great town. The west end has a lot going on around the campus, as I am sure you already know.

Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
Please update the post as soon as you know. Fun to watch and I hope she gets in!

Posts: 3850 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:
quote:

$7k a year is a great price. Vandy is an excellent school and Nashville is a great town. The west end has a lot going on around the campus, as I am sure you already know.

$7K is a great price. Vandy is definitely a great school. My dad graduated from there in '56, my wife graduated in '82. I have many, many friends that graduated from Vandy (a third of my high school class went to Vanderbilt--74 guys in the class, 24 attended Vandy---all boys college prep school, located about 3 miles from Vandy's campus).
The business my wife & I operate is located on West End Ave. two blocks from the edge of Vandy's campus. TigerDore is right, the west end area is very active these days. Lots & lots of restaurants, and lots of construction--new hotels and new apartments.

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
My oldest son dreams of playing baseball for Vandy. Great school from all of the research we have done. Fingers crossed for your daughter.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
Vandy '71. Great school and wish her the best!

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
rtquig,

Fellow grads and others have covered what I was going to say so wishing all the best to your daughter!

Go Dores!

StarTraveler,
Vandy Class of ‘85

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2102 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
That's for all the encouragement posts. So far, no letter. It isn't coming today (Saturday) according the P.O. website.

Living the Dream

I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
Well?

Posts: 1824 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
Any news? I was hoping to read that the acceptance letter had come. Smile

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
We heard last night online. She did not get in. She is taking it pretty hard, but she will bounce back. She has a list of schools with Dartmouth at the head of the list.

Living the Dream