SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    need input for nephew going to USMC OCS
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

need input for nephew going to USMC OCS Login/Join 
Semper Fidelis Marines
posted
good morning, my nephew is heading to Quantico, I have got to get him a few items for Christmas and thought I would get him things for OCS. Any suggestions, I bought him a small nice SOG folder knife and a box of nice cigars for his upcoming college graduation. he ships in Jan 202 I think

thanks, shawn
Semper Fi,
---->>> EXCUSE TYPOS<<<---

Posts: 3318 | Location: TEXAS! | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get him a nice, compact flashlight. Surefire, streamlight, Fenix.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fidelis Marines
posted Hide Post
I.had not thought of that, maybe a headlamp also??

thanks, shawn
Semper Fi,

Posts: 3318 | Location: TEXAS! | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by golddot:

I find headlamps to be tremendously useful, so I'd say get both. Big Grin

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9683 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by golddot:

https://www.petzl.com/INT/en/Tactical
Petzl Tactikka+ is the standard military headlamp used. It has a white and red light with more lumens over the standard Tactikka.

The newer version Tactikka + RGB has white and red lights, and either blue or, green.

Posts: 14634 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fidelis Marines
posted Hide Post
Exec ideas, keep em coming lol

thanks, shawn
Semper Fi,

posted Hide Post
A good multi-tool.

Tell the young lad I said Congrats.
I'll say "Congrats... Sir" after he graduates Wink

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8336 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I good headlamp is a lifesaver and one of the most important tools you could ever have/use. Make sure it is multi color or have a red light. I wish I would have listened and got one earlier in my military career. It is a godsend and not just during night land nav.

If he has a preference and/or if it is permitted a good pair of sturdy boots where he will be able to walk long distances at a determined pace.

Another alternative is a pair(s) of good socks especially ones that breathe but also are cushioning. If he is not allowed to have any articles of clothing that is not issued then a good pair of insoles.

Another gift I got/acquired was a nice notebook cover, write in the rain notebooks and a nice set of pens (write in the rain).

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always forgot to mention this when people ask me about a gift, but I cannot strongly recommend a good set of ear plugs whether custom made or bought off the shelf ( for example: 3M Peltor TEP-100 Digital Tactical Earplugs Kit, Surefire, wax)

I have high level hearing loss, as many of us on this forum do, and I wished the technology was available back then to prevent some of it.

I know it is not tacti-cool but he will get so much use out of them and not just on the range.

Of course he will use them on the range, but he can use them (which I strongly advise) riding in MRAPs, Humvees, cattle trucks, 6x6's etc..

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
As said, multi-tool, good light with red select so it can be used tactically, ear plugs, good socks both for running and field use.

If he doesn't have a good, I mean a really good, pair of running shoes, take him to a high end runners store, have them observe him on a treadmill, and get what they recommend and feels good to him. This could be a OBC lifesaver, including possibly preventing injury that would put him out, or force him to re-take OBC.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
The Marine Corps will give him everything he needs.

Posts: 8273 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by houndawg:

The Army sure as hell didn't.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
quote:
Originally posted by houndawg:

The Army sure as hell didn't.

If OCS is anything like Boot Camp, and I'm sure it is, he will not be allowed any gear of his own except for his preferred runnng shoes. Everything he needs to complete the course will be issued. If they are given a packing list that says they are allowed to bring stuff then consult it before buying him anything. Gifts should be saved for until he graduates. What is allowed at TBS may be a different story, but that's not until after OCS.

Posts: 8273 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For a Marine, a Ka-Bar seems fitting!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16069 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fidelis Marines
posted Hide Post
Thx fellas, exec advice

thanks, shawn
Semper Fi,

Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
I didn't go to OCS, but as Hounddawg stated, the USMC will probably give him what he needs.

For Parris Island, we were allowed to bring $50 cash, the clothes we were wearing, one note card with addresses on it, and glasses if needed. Religious medallions and/or wedding rings were permitted, but I don't recall if they were allowed to be worn during training.

I'd save anything for graduation. An Officer's sword would be a great idea. They aren't cheap, but it would be a very sentimental gift from a family member, as well as eventually becoming an heirloom.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ASKSmith:
I'd save anything for graduation. An Officer's sword would be a great idea. They aren't cheap, but it would be a very sentimental gift from a family member, as well as eventually becoming an heirloom.

I believe officers have to pay for their uniforms, somebody can correct me. Perhaps a cash card from the uniform shop.

Posts: 14634 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tinyman
posted Hide Post
I had to read each and every post in this thread -- guess I was confused -- Oklahoma Cook School??? Wink

Tinyman

Stupid people are like glo-sticks.
I want to shake the shit out of them
till the light comes on

Posts: 315 | Location: Leeds, Alabama | Registered: August 28, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Congratulations and best wishes .the best that I can offer is that after graduation is to listen to his NCO"s for they 'WILL SAVE HIS BACKSIDE'. I saw many new freshly minted "butterbar Lt's" who let their rank go to their heads and cloud their judgement....SEMPER FI.. wore a different uniform from a different service but when tHE SHIT HIT THE FAN WE JUMPED IN THE SAME FOXHOLE AND CHEWED THE SAME DIRT.....................drill sgt.

Posts: 2001 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
For a Marine, a Ka-Bar seems fitting!

My cousin just went through and the only thing he said he needed was some Under Armour 4.0 for when out in the cold.

Got him a KA-Bar too.

During his time in Marine OCS, they open mail as a group. So I made sure to send him funny shit like crayons, penis coloring books, and pink bunny slippers every few weeks.

I always address him on the package as a high ranking officer from another branch.

Commodore
Admiral
Field Commander etc

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post