SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Colt completed their first run of 300 AR-15 rifles in December, 1959
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Colt completed their first run of 300 AR-15 rifles in December, 1959 Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
By 1964, the Colt AR-15 was available to the public. We're talking about more than half a century.

Guns are not the problem. Our sick society is the problem. Multiculturalism being rammed down our throats is the problem. Leftist, America-hating assholes who want to destroy this nation are the problem.

Posts: 107551 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Preach it, sir!

Q

Posts: 26371 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
at that time, you could mail order the rifles and there was no 4473, no FFL, or anything else. And it just worked out.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10916 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
at that time, you could mail order the rifles and there was no 4473, no FFL, or anything else. And it just worked out.

And I could get full auto too, right?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30403 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Some choose to stick band-aids on rabid cancer and pretend they are curing the disease.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sock Eating Golden
posted Hide Post
ABSOLUTELY! I was just thinking this same thing after the recent shooting in Florida. The AR-15 has been available WITH 30 round magazines for roughly FIFTY years.

Nick

"I cannot imagine any condition which would cause a ship to founder. I cannot conceive of any vital disaster happening to this vessel. Modern shipbuilding has gone beyond that."
-Capt. Edward Smith

Posts: 5795 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: November 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Short. Fat. Bald.
Costanzaesque.

Picture of TexasScrub
posted Hide Post
Cool that you brought this up, just this weekend I was with someone that said these 'modern' rifles are the problem, and I looked at her and said that the AR15 is older than I am and hasn't changed at all in function, just in window dressing. She got puzzled and flustered all at the same time.

Then we got back to eating and she never mentioned it again.

Posts: 1986 | Location: Victoria, TX | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sock Eating Golden:
The AR-15 has been available WITH 30 round magazines for roughly FIFTY years.
Thirty round magazines were developed during the Vietnam War. Thirty rounders would have been available to the American public by the 1970s.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107551 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I definitely remember the Colt catalogs in the 70s having several models available.

I don't think they were particularly popular at the time, but definitely out there.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Weren’t they at first called “Stoners” after the developer? Or is that term for what was, or became known as M16s.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Plus...in our society today the media, both "social" and "news" allows and promotes everyone to be a "victim"...totaly side stepping anything that involves personal responsibility for one's own actions...it's always a "thing" that's at fault...

Plus they make heros out of villains and villains out of our heroes...

Sadly, it's getting worse.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10585 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was just saying this to my wife yesterday, now all of a sudden the AR-15 is to blame. Something in society has changed in the last 15-20 years yet the AR-15 has remained the same since the 60's.

On a separate note, yesterday I heard someone say when an AR-15 is carried in a police car it is referred to as a "patrol rifle", but when that same rifle is owned by a civilian it is referred to as an "assault rifle". I thought that was a very interesting observation.

Posts: 219 | Registered: June 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
The left is experiencing a mental health crisis. We have had the AR 15 in our society a long time. Have we had a left that acts openly like this for as long as we’ve had the AR? (It also says “resist 45” on the bottom left)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21101 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

yep, with paperwork

in most states you still can

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
Weren’t they at first called “Stoners” after the developer? Or is that term for what was, or became known as M16s.

Stoner is the designer, and there are some Stoner Rifles, (Cadillac Gage made some really nice ones)

they were called by the parent company name as well, Armalite (the design and contract for the .gov went to Colt)

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
What was Lee Harvey Oswald thinking? He could have use an AR and killed everyone in a 3 block radius. Eek

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bigboreshooter:
What was Lee Harvey Oswald thinking? He could have use an AR and killed everyone in a 3 block radius. Eek

Exactly. And the mushroom cloud could have masked his escape, probably in the back of a NRA rented limo. Roll Eyes

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

yep, with paperwork

in most states you still can

I know you can still get them. But you can't get a brand new one today which was my point.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30403 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post