SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Carrying for Self-Defense in England
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Carrying for Self-Defense in England Login/Join 
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
My local county police HQ has over two hundred handguns and sixty rifles/carbines of one kind or another. Plus baton-round launchers and other non-lethal or less-than-lethal items.

Tac,

Just for a sense of scale, for how many officers is this vast arsenal intended to equip? 260 firearms honestly doesn't sound like that many. I strongly suspect many of the members here have more than that in their basement.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
A screw driver is an incredible self defense weapon when used correctly.

It also leaves a wound not easily closed and has very good penetration qualities.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7179 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
quote:
My local county police HQ has over two hundred handguns and sixty rifles/carbines of one kind or another. Plus baton-round launchers and other non-lethal or less-than-lethal items.

Tac,

Just for a sense of scale, for how many officers is this vast arsenal intended to equip? 260 firearms honestly doesn't sound like that many. I strongly suspect many of the members here have more than that in their basement.

Now, now, sarcasm will simply get you ignored, instead of answered.

I'm well aware how well-off, gun-ly speaking, that you all are, please remember that I LIVE in the USA for part of the year.

This 'little basement collection' represents the firearms available to a mainly UNARMED police force, remember, not a totally tooled-up daily-carry organisation.

Cambridgeshire Constabulary employs around 1300 officers, 800 police staff, 280 Specials and 100 police volunteers to cover an area of more than 1309 square miles and a resident population of around 0.82 million.

This was published just last week, BTW - and an absence of snide remarks would be much appreciated, and may well ensure my continuing participation in the this thread.

Quote -
HomeNewsFirearms capacity to increase across the county
Firearms capacity to increase across the county
06/06/2017 09:05:51

The number of firearms officers available to provide armed capacity and capability across Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire and Hertfordshire has increased by 50 percent.
In July 2016 the Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire, and Hertfordshire Joint Protective Services (BCH JPS) set about increasing the number of authorised firearms officers (AFOs) in order to help protect the public and respond quickly to serious threats.
The officers were selected from those already working within the JPS unit, and although the officers will not carry weapons on a routine basis, they are ready to be called upon should they be needed to respond swiftly in exceptional cases such as when life is at risk.
The increase is not in relation to any specific intelligence with regards to any imminent terror attack, and is not as a result of the recent terror attacks. The uplift came about following a direction to all forces from the Home Office last year.
Paul Fullwood, Assistant Chief Constable for the BCH JPS, said: "The tragic incidents in Manchester and London show us how important it is that we have the appropriate number of firearms trained officers.
"Last year we carried out a review of the tri-force armed policing unit and found that the number of firearms officers across the three forces were sufficient to meet our day-to-day demand, but we felt it would be beneficial to increase the number of officers who are firearms trained in order to provide the best possible levels of protection and security across the three counties.
"Since then we have carried out a series of intensive training courses to ensure we have the very best calibre of people in this high pressured role and from today there are now an additional 50 per cent firearms trained officers available in the tri-force area.
"The terrible and tragic terror attacks in Manchester and London are a timely reminder of just why this increase is needed, although I'd like to stress that this increase has been planned for several months and is not in relation to any specific intelligence.
"When others run away from danger, our brave AFOs run towards the threat, as has been seen this weekend. They're often faced with difficult and challenging decisions and as such we are hugely appreciative of their efforts in keeping the wider public safe, and I am grateful to our officers who have volunteered to be part of this uplift."
Police and Crime Commissioner Jason Ablewhite said: "The appalling events in Manchester and London have once again highlighted the incredibly important and difficult job done by armed officers.
"I hope this move to increase the number of highly trained officers helps to reassure the people of Cambridgeshire. I am committed to do all I can to ensure the Constabulary has the necessary resources to protect the public."

tac

Posts: 11320 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the UK, the population of ill-educated muslim immigrants from mainly Pakistan and Bangladesh is the problem. These immigrants come in, and live in communities where they generally dont integrate, and the UK now has a restive population who is pining for jihad. Well, one can talk about Govt. policies that will change this situation to a better situation, maybe, but it will a very long term project. However, it is a critical problem here and now and the situation is getting dire by the day. Islamic populations in the 3 countries on the Indian sub-continent are used to a rather harsh and a violent style of policing. It isnt official policy, but everyone in the police knows what to do, and the State and Federal Govts look the other way even when the police go overboard. Now, the immigrants to Britain are the people who come from a culture where they are treated like s888, and where a cop can kill them without facing any consequences. They come from this to the UK, and they immediately learn that they can get away with a whole lot more, and they only have to yell accusations of "racism" to get the police to back away, and all the white leftists falling over each other trying to prove their leftist, non-racist bonafides.
Unless the UK Govt changes their laws and regulations and changes the way the police handle this immigrant population of muslims, mainly from Pakistan and Bangladesh, tings are, unfortunately just going to remain the same or get worse.
End of rant. Thanks for allowing me the space to rant.

If you think you can, YOU WILL!!!!!

Posts: 3833 | Location: Wolverine-Land!!!! | Registered: August 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I think the police in the UK will ultimately be overcome by events and in years to come the unarmed Bobby will be a thing of the past. The Brits historically have drawn lines where they have had enough and will take action to defend themselves.

But a good defense not going to solve the Islamic Radical Terrorism problem. The animals are killing their own men, women, and children by the thousands with car bombs and death squads, where everybody over the age of 12 has an AK at their disposal. The only clear answer is to keep the bastards out of your country while you hunt them down and kill them where they live. You fight them over there or you fight them at home.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sidss1:
I think the UK, the population of ill-educated muslim immigrants from mainly Pakistan and Bangladesh is the problem. These immigrants come in, and live in communities where they generally dont integrate, and the UK now has a restive population who is pining for jihad. Well, one can talk about Govt. policies that will change this situation to a better situation, maybe, but it will a very long term project. However, it is a critical problem here and now and the situation is getting dire by the day. Islamic populations in the 3 countries on the Indian sub-continent are used to a rather harsh and a violent style of policing. It isnt official policy, but everyone in the police knows what to do, and the State and Federal Govts look the other way even when the police go overboard. Now, the immigrants to Britain are the people who come from a culture where they are treated like s888, and where a cop can kill them without facing any consequences. They come from this to the UK, and they immediately learn that they can get away with a whole lot more, and they only have to yell accusations of "racism" to get the police to back away, and all the white leftists falling over each other trying to prove their leftist, non-racist bonafides.
Unless the UK Govt changes their laws and regulations and changes the way the police handle this immigrant population of muslims, mainly from Pakistan and Bangladesh, tings are, unfortunately just going to remain the same or get worse.
End of rant. Thanks for allowing me the space to rant.

Excellent post, Sir.

Thanks.

tac

Posts: 11320 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Facts notwithstanding and returning to the question posed by the OP (What can be carried for self defense) it seems I recall a movie starring Jason Statham in which he "educates" some youths regarding the sport of hurling. Maybe one could carry a hurler?

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Here it is.

Hurler

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
I doubt the hurler will pass muster

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckFinley:
I doubt the hurler will pass muster

If the Bobbies take a walking stick from a 78-yr old man (since it's an 'offensive weapon'), then that thing won't stand a chance.

I want one, though. . . Smile

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21844 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Now, now, sarcasm will simply get you ignored, instead of answered.
BTW - and an absence of snide remarks would be much appreciated, and may well ensure my continuing participation in the this thread.

I apologize for the snark. From an American perspective, it just seems completely bonkers. Even in our gun-free Commie zones, the police are well armed. 6000 guns for 65 million people is less than one police gun for every 10k people.

Are even stun guns or pepper spray allowed? For the police? For the general population?

Is martial arts training considered premeditation.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rsbolo:
Facts notwithstanding and returning to the question posed by the OP (What can be carried for self defense) it seems I recall a movie starring Jason Statham in which he "educates" some youths regarding the sport of hurling. Maybe one could carry a hurler?

I doubt that 99.99999% of the population of mainland UK would know what a 'hurler' is, since it is a stick used in the Irish ballgame of Hurling, and predominantly in the republic, too. And BTW, it's called a 'hurley stick' not a 'hurler'.

So it's really not a good example to use.

Most thugs here in UK use baseball bats - NOT cricket bats - although walk down the street carrying one and your time outside bars will be short indeed.

Much as I admire Mr Statham, it IS only a movie, right?

tac

half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:I apologize for the snark. From an American perspective, it just seems completely bonkers. Even in our gun-free Commie zones, the police are well armed. 6000 guns for 65 million people is less than one police gun for every 10k people.

Are even stun guns or pepper spray allowed? For the police? For the general population?

Is martial arts training considered premeditation.

It has been mentioned before, but I'll just say it again - the UK mainland police county and metropolitan area forces, all 50 of them, do not carry firearms on the beat. Yes they have CS sprays, and yes they have TASERS, and no they do not carry stun-guns. The general public cannot legally acquire either TASERs or CS spray or stun-guns.

Over in Northern Ireland, every police offer on the beat carries a handgun and many also carry some kind of long arm - the H&K G36 seems usual after the demise of the deal between Ruger and the UK goverment that say the loss of resupply on the more usual Mini-14. They also routinely carry CS spray, baton and many carry a TASER, too, particularly in Belfast and Londonderry. They have ALWAYS been armed with handguns since their foundation in Victorian times as the Royal Irish Constabulary, then the Royal Ulster Constabulary, and more recently, the Police Service Northern Ireland.

Anybody can train for martial arts of any kind - what kind of place do you think this is? The UK is well-known for the excellence of its martial art sportsmen and women from age 14 up, many of whom win medals in the Olympic Games as well as other international games. I was a kendo-ka for more years than I can recall, but walking down the street with a katana is not a good idea - besides, where I live, the chances of getting embroiled in any kind of crime is less than one chance in almost a quarter of a million - Home Office figures, BTW.

Archery is great fun, too. Any and all kinds, of course. But walking around with a bow is not a good idea, no more than walking around with a hurley stick.

tac

posted Hide Post
tacfoley - thank you for your information and patience.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
They're gone. Lost cause, just like the rest of Europe.

Agreed

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13951 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Hello Tac, what is a baton round launcher? Thank you, Gene

Posts: 11839 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Anybody can train for martial arts of any kind - what kind of place do you think this is? The UK is well-known for the excellence of its martial art sportsmen and women from age 14 up, many of whom win medals in the Olympic Games as well as other international games. I was a kendo-ka for more years than I can recall, but walking down the street with a katana is not a good idea - besides, where I live, the chances of getting embroiled in any kind of crime is less than one chance in almost a quarter of a million - Home Office figures, BTW.

The question is an extension of the logic that (I understand from one of your previous posts) you can not carry anything that you intend to be able to use for self-defense due to premeditation issues. But martial arts training is arguably intended to be used for self defense. Could it not be argued that this is premeditation as well?

No offense intended.

So if I have this correct, nothing can legally be carried for the purpose of aiding in one's self-defense.

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rsbolo:
Here it is.

Hurler
Personally, this needs to be the solution implemented for these savages. Bet that would slow the number of terrorism cases a bit.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Tacfoley....All joking and insinuations aside, is there anything that would move at least a majority of the British population to take matters into their own hands, break current law, and seek to start addressing the problem themselves? From what I've read of your previous postings, I'm thinking that the British population and government will do nothing more than continue to complain about the problem, while doing nothing, right up through their extinction. Please dear god, tell me I'm reading this situation totally wrong.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post