SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Carrying for Self-Defense in England
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Carrying for Self-Defense in England Login/Join 
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Muddflap:
John Steed carried an umbrella.

With a sword in it.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16354 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
quote:

With a sword in it.

That's true. I had forgotten that.

Posts: 3236 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigLaw:
Based on the signs I saw last week at Windsor Castle, you can carry a non-locking knife with a blade less than 3 inches. ☹️

That would be a letter opener.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8356 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bought a 239 magazine for $10, got banned for free.
posted Hide Post
This is what happens in countries where boys grow up not at least being somewhat familiar with some types of weapons. American boys such as me and ALL of my friends watched those Cowboys shoot those Indians every Saturday. We became very familiar with different types of guns. All those war movies helped too. Thank God we all grew up with guns. My uncle took his 45 Long Colt to school every day. It stayed with him all of his 35 years on the Tennessee Highway Patrol. That is just one of the millions of reasons that we are not speaking German today. Europe is gone unless they grow a set. But today the soccer mons don't want little Johnny playing with guns. I had relatives that fought from Shiloh to the Pacific to France. We owe them our freedom. Hell-I served over 40 years myself and would do it again. And remember if you can read this thank a teacher-if its in English thank a vet. Rant over. JM2CW

Posts: 279 | Location: West TN | Registered: February 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
This makes me sick.

73 years ago D-Day happened, from an island fortress and spearheaded by the US, Britain, Canada and allies.

Now only one nation stands against evil, and only 51% of that nation at that.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
If I ever go back to Europe, I'd bring along one of these:

http://unbreakableumbrella.com

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

A Canemasters Cane can go anywhere, and offers you many self-defense features.

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
Balze' thanks for posting that. Very informative, and consistent with my perception of UK police and UK public attitudes towards firearms. I once showed a visiting UK officer around our unit. He told me he had never fired a gun, and wouldn't want to carry one. He said he would be afraid someone would take it away from him and hurt him with it. Watching the news coverage after each UK terrorist attack, and noting the particular words, phrases and tone used by police, the media, witnesses and surviving victims to describe the incident, has lead me to believe that citizens there are almost as distressed at the thought or sight of a firearm as they are about the attack itself. After the attacks they do put together some very nice memorials though, with all the flowers and balloons. That is, soon as the dead and wounded have been removed, evidence collected, and blood hosed off.....

NRA Life

Posts: 1565 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
When I joined the service I resolved that if I was ever required to carry a gun, I would leave

I don't get that at all. Some things leave you just dumbfounded. That does it for me.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11108 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Now only one nation stands against evil, and only 51% of that nation at that.

That jolted me. It's true. Eek

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11108 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I believe that anything that you might carry as a self defense implement would be considered an offensive weapon and confiscated or you'd be charged for using it.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
As Tac has advised us you can't carry or use a gun for self-defense in England.
Not 100% accurate. They most assuredly 'can' carry and use a gun for self-defense, but they will face charges for doing so. However, if the folks in change of jolly ole England don't get their act together pretty quick, my bet is more Brit's are going to start re-thinking that paradigm and are going to err on the side of survival over prosecution. It could get very bloody beyond that point (not that it isn't already).

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On a trip to Europe before the recent troubles I brought a pocket sized notepad with some sketches and notes and a hardened pen(one of the ones that actually looks like a pen instead of a weapon with ink in it). Only askance glance was a guard at a security checkpoint at an attraction who looked at it, recognized what it was probably for and informally questioned me about it. Americans are easy to spot there so maybe he figured I wasn't an issue or maybe he didn't feel he had enough but I was allowed in with pen and notebook. Of course I'm not sure how that would go today.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
I thought in another thread someone said ANY type of self-defense is illegal in England.

It is my understanding it's not self-defence that's illegal, per se, but, carrying anything the purpose of which is clearly for self-defence.

I believe it's also illegal to defend yourself when you can otherwise retreat and, when faced with no choice, defend yourself any more vigorously than absolutely necessary.

It's really screwed up, IMO.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
I carried a carbon fiber trekking pole with a steel and carbide tip around London and Normandy and no one, including avaitoon theater types said one word about it.

I'm certain that with sufficient force it would penetrate a human body.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31443 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GGF
posted Hide Post
The population of England have chosen a path and reap the rewards of that decision.

Strother Martin said it best, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=452XjnaHr1A

GGF

Posts: 698 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Arming every single officer is simply impossible.

This. To me this says it all. It speaks volumes about the mindset. Accepting something as impossible, is what makes it impossible.

Posts: 71 | Location: NoVA | Registered: December 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heisrizn
posted Hide Post
I remember watching a UK episode of "Cops" a few years ago. Twas London. Bobbies were not only unarmed but when apprehending a suspect, he was placed in the back of their "squad car" without being searched nor cuffed.

Mind boggling the training that it would take to fit them with firearms if they aren't even using the most basic of LEO standards.

Posts: 1549 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: April 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I remember an episode of Luther where he seeks out a "gun expert" in the department to explain to him how the gun works and how to disassemble it, etc.

That was extremely odd to me considering he is a detective/inspector. It then occurred to me that British inspectors don't carry guns.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
quote:

With a sword in it.

And an steel lined bowler hat.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post