SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Makkoli?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Makkoli? Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
I usually drink wine. Some beer but mostly wine and port.

I also drink Japanese sake (some very fine stuff) as well as Korean soju. Japanese soju is okay depending on the source material (rice okay; for me, most others bad). Nigori sake is okay.

I tried Korean Makkoli. Kook Soon Dang brand draft makkoli. DID NOT LIKE. Yech. The front of the label looked okay and sounded okay. Draft Makkoli.

Bought a bottle. Shake gently before stirring.

Hmmmmm, it's carbonated and all over my counter now. Thanks for the up front warning.

Tastes artificial. Yup, artificial sweeteners and a couple of ingredients I'm not familiar with.

It seems like a popular drink in Korea. I'm going to go this year. I'd like to find a brand or bottle I like before I go.

So far, strike one. Definitely a 'do not buy again' product.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12717 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sabonim
Picture of Wayniac
posted Hide Post
I've had it in Korea. Yuck. It was explained to me as "the poor man's drink". I've only seen old men drinking it.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride! ~Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 1438 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Spent a number of nights drinking Ginro Soju back in the day. Very warming on a cold night riding a freight train across the Chosun. Good times. Gotta go back someday. Watching the sun rise over the Port of Pusan through the glass windows of the topaz dealers.....

Posts: 17141 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire for effect
posted Hide Post
I think that makkoli is supposed to be a drink it and get very drunk fast drink. I don't know what it tastes like, but I don't think that I want any.

I do enjoy Korean beer, and some soju and sake.

"Ride to the sound of the big guns."

Posts: 7210 | Location: South Georgia | Registered: May 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing my best to shape
America's youth
Picture of MooneyP226
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Arty:
I think that makkoli is supposed to be a drink it and get very drunk fast drink. I don't know what it tastes like, but I don't think that I want any.

I do enjoy Korean beer, and some soju and sake.

So it's the MD 20/20 of Korean dranks? Ugh...(shudders)

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Posts: 1624 | Location: on the 42nd parallel  | Registered: November 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Short. Fat. Bald.
Costanzaesque.

Picture of TexasScrub
posted Hide Post
When I was in Korea in '88 (olympics, but I was a soldier in the 2D ID) we had OB beer, and kettles of Soju. OB beer tasted like formaldehyde and I don't remember drinking any kettles of soju. Mind you, I drank a lot of soju, just don't remember it.

Can't see how beer got better in Korea so I'm with you on this one.

Posts: 1986 | Location: Victoria, TX | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Start with an OB, finish with soju. You won't remember the beer anyway.

Posts: 17141 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TexasScrub:
OB beer tasted like formaldehyde and I don't remember drinking any kettles of soju. Mind you, I drank a lot of soju, just don't remember it.

Hahahahaha!!! (I see what you did there....) Eek

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post