SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do TV Public Service Announcements Help?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do TV Public Service Announcements Help? Login/Join 
posted
You see the TV announcements on bullying; adopting, children, homeless animals; Big Brother and Sister programs; etc. Do these announcements actually do anything beyond satisfying the FCC requirements for the TV stations? Not the ones that are requesting money for whatever organization.

Jim

Posts: 1344 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
I feel like I'm a pretty well informed person. I try to keep up. For all I know the few I see contribute.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
I do know that only *you* can prevent forest fires.

And if you give a hoot, don't pollute.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5473 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Now you know. And knowing is half the battle.

Razz

It won't help me as I don't watch TV. I have an OTA antenna but it's still in the box.
My kids don't watch television either. We have three TVs. All are hooked up to game consoles of computers. All we do is stream. For news we use the internet.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
If you skate
You would be great
If you could make
A figure eight

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
I remember seeing claims that all those DARE ads / programs did nothing to lower drug usage amongst children. In fact, drug use went up.

No criticism of PDs that participated, but good intentions are not enough.

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2057 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Well, I know that the zip code for Pueblo, Colorado is 81009.

Y'know, in case anyone ever asks me about it.

And of course, there's always this:

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know most of them are pretty laughable, but this one did a pretty good job of changing us:

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I learned by watching you!

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And now you know ... we couldn't sell that spot.

Less is more.

Posts: 3995 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
I know most of them are pretty laughable, but this one did a pretty good job of changing us:
[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9Dmtkxm9yQY" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

Except old "Iron Eyes" was Italian.

https://priceonomics.com/the-t...f-the-crying-indian/

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Icabod:
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9Dmtkxm9yQY" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

Except old "Iron Eyes" was Italian.

https://priceonomics.com/the-t...f-the-crying-indian/

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just my opinion, but I think they do have a generally positive effect.
Are they a solution to any problem : No.
But they do sway public opinion and perception.

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post