SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Concealed carry holder, robbery suspect fatally shoot each other: police
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Concealed carry holder, robbery suspect fatally shoot each other: police Login/Join 
posted
Hmmmm. If the facts are correct, the CCW holder drew when a gun was pointed at him.

CHICAGO — Chicago police say a 64-year-old man with a concealed carry license and a man recently released from prison fatally shot each other in what is believed to be an attempted robbery.

Police spokeswoman Officer Michelle Tannehill says Mark Miller was outside a property he owns on the city’s South Side when the 33-year-old former inmate pulled a handgun and attempted to rob him on Thursday morning. Miller then pulled out his own handgun.

Tannehill says the gunman shot Miller in the abdomen, and Miller returned fire. She says both men were found dead at the scene, along with two firearms.

Authorities have not yet identified the gunman. Autopsies for both men are scheduled for Friday.

LINK: https://wgntv.com/2019/04/19/c...t-each-other-police/

Posts: 17226 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
It happens. Frown

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A few more details, including this shocking revelation:

Court records show the suspected robber had an extensive criminal background with numerous arrests and felony convictions for gun and theft charges. The man was released from the Pinckneyville Correctional Center on stolen vehicle and gun convictions exactly a month to the day he was killed, state records show.

Complete article:

https://www.chicagotribune.com...-20190418-story.html

Cops: Concealed carry license holder, suspected robber fatally shoot each other

Jeremy Gorner, William Lee and Rosemary Sobol Contact Reporters
Chicago Tribune
April 18, 2019 7:30

A South Side property owner and a man recently released from state prison on parole fatally shot each other Thursday morning during what Chicago police said appeared to be an armed robbery gone wrong.

The deadly exchange of gunfire occurred outside a residence in the 6800 block of South St. Lawrence Avenue in the Park Manor neighborhood around 9:45 a.m., according to police.

The Cook County medical examiner’s office identified the property owner as Mark Miller of the 8300 block of South May Street. The suspected robber, 33, was not officially identified by the medical examiner’s office, but police said he was a documented gang member. Autopsies for both men are scheduled for Friday.

Police believe Miller, 64, was outside the residence when the gunman pulled a handgun and attempted to rob the older man, Chicago police said. But Miller, a licensed concealed carry permit holder, pulled his own handgun, said Officer Michelle Tannehill, a police spokeswoman.

At some point during the confrontation, the suspected robber fired three shots, wounding Miller in the abdomen, and Miller returned two gunshots, striking his assailant, police said.

Both men were found dead at the scene, along with firearms, Tannehill said.

Miller had been at the property to check the plumbing for his son, who owns the building, according to the son, Mark Miller Jr., 32.

Miller Jr., a trucker, was on the phone talking to his dad, rescheduling movie plans, as his father, who was “walking and talking at the same time,’’ was outside the property, locking up the basement door. Suddenly, Miller Jr. heard gunshots, then his father saying: “Mark, I’ve been shot.’’

Then silence.

“He was being a dad. He was being a father. He was trying to help me out, and it wound up costing him his life in the process,’’ Miller Jr. said.

A police source said Miller owns the property on South St. Lawrence Avenue and was waiting to meet with a repairman when the robbery attempt happened.

Court records show the suspected robber had an extensive criminal background with numerous arrests and felony convictions for gun and theft charges. The man was released from the Pinckneyville Correctional Center on stolen vehicle and gun convictions exactly a month to the day he was killed, state records show.

jgorner@chicagotribune.com

wlee@chicagotribune.com

Twitter @JeremyGorner

Twitter @MidnoirCowboy

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
That the system failed again will be completely ignored.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15561 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Hopefully, the good guy's survivors will take comfort in that he went out fighting instead of kneeling.

Posts: 27929 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Why do you suppose they haven’t released the name/photo of the robber?

Posts: 26895 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:

uh...they ran out of apostrophes?

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15210 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:

uh...they ran out of apostrophes?

And possibly hyphens...

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15561 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
Hopefully, the good guy's survivors will take comfort in that he went out fighting instead of kneeling.

RIP. He has my respect that's for sure.

-------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
I'm sure we all know this but I'll say it again. You can do everything right and still get killed.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1864 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Doing everything right includes using good tactics. We don't know exactly how this went down, and likely never will. But whatever the case may be, you can't out-draw an attacker who already has his gun in his hand. It appears that the victim here tried to do that.

quote:
Originally posted by fiasconva:
I'm sure we all know this but I'll say it again. You can do everything right and still get killed.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
The one bit of good news, the victim took out a career criminal that the Chicago system failed repeatedly to deal with effectively.
No doubt he would have continued his career of violent attacks until something stopped him.
Since it wasn't going to be the Chicago justice system, it fell to this unfortunate soul.

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
We all gotta go sometime. I can think of worse ways.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15477 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Updated article with name of the dead perp:

The suspected robber, 33, was identified as Joseph Lewis, of the 6800 block of South St. Lawrence Avenue, the medical examiner’s office said. Police said Lewis was a documented gang member.

https://www.chicagotribune.com...-20190418-story.html

This message has been edited. Last edited by: arcwelder,

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
There is no need to paste the whole article again. A link will do, we all have the internet.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am not blaming the victim here, but the concealed carry guy was on his phone when the incident started.

Just a reminder that situation awareness should be the first line of defense and that phone use can be very distracting.

Posts: 563 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: February 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For some of us, it feels distasteful to second guess the decedent. He went out fighting, and often that is the best we can hope for. However, if I die in a similar manner, please feel free to dissect my every action so that somebody may learn something that will carry the day for them. I prefer to be a role model, but if nothing else, I can be an example. Tip of the hat to Mr. Miller.

Ignem Feram

Posts: 528 | Registered: October 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Further details with video of the scene:
https://wgntv.com/2019/04/19/c...t-each-other-police/

Posts: 17226 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post