SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Computer guys, creating a windows bootable disk?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Computer guys, creating a windows bootable disk? Login/Join 
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted
I bought a used toughbook to use for programming Motorola radios. I was using an ancient Dell laptop with Windows XP Pro but the battery is shot and the computer is incredibly slow.

The toughbook I bought is a refurb and was supposed to have XP installed on it but it came without it installed. The company that sold me the computer sent me another harddrive with XP supposedly installed on it but it still says operating system not found. They are going to send me a whole new laptop but I figured I'd try loading XP onto it. The problem is that I don't have an XP disk.

I have the CD key from my old laptop I just need to create a bootable flash drive as the toughbook doesn't have a CD drive. My hangup is that I'm using Rufus to create the flash drive but I can't find the ISO image on the computer. I found tfsmrmsg.iso but I don't think that is the correct one as the file is so small. A search of the computer doesn't turn up anything else. Is there a way to download an ISO image somewhere or another way to find it on the old computer?

Posts: 6350 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
Just for the record, I'm not even sure if you'll be able to activate a copy of XP, with or without a CD key. Just my recent experience with MS.

There are workarounds though...

Is the computer capable of booting from USB?

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
Just for the record, I'm not even sure if you'll be able to activate a copy of XP, with or without a CD key. Just my recent experience with MS.

There are workarounds though...

Is the computer capable of booting from USB?

It is, it has the option in the BIOS, I just haven't been able to build the USB to try it. I'm downloading the ISO for service pack 3 right now, we'll see if it works.

Posts: 6350 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
So I got the ISO file for service pack 3 loaded onto a USB using rufus, but the computer still says operating system not found. Not sure if there is anything else I can do at this point.

Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
I'll assume you got XP + SP3 and not just SP3?

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
I believe so, this is the link I used

https://softlay.net/operating-...n-free-download.html

posted Hide Post
As long as you have the key I have XP operating system on CD if you need it.

Email in profile.

PC

Posts: 1336 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
I appreciate it, although at this point I think it's just an issue with the computer.

I put the Toughbook's HD in the dell computer and was able to boot with the flash drive and install windows XP on it, however when I put it back in the Toughbook it said operating system not found. So there must be something wrong with the computer itself.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ryan81986:
I appreciate it, although at this point I think it's just an issue with the computer.

I put the Toughbook's HD in the dell computer and was able to boot with the flash drive and install windows XP on it, however when I put it back in the Toughbook it said operating system not found. So there must be something wrong with the computer itself.

Boot order in the BIOS? when you power it on, hit F12 & see if you get a boot menu.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Can't move installed XP to another machine and expect it to boot.
Put the USB drive on the original machine and install from there. If the machine has partitions with recovery stuff or drives you might want to back them up beforehand.

I usually nuke and pave and get rid of those partitions, let the OS take care of them.
Get ALL your drivers before taking the dive.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12108 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post