SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I Have A Problem With My Latkes
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I Have A Problem With My Latkes Login/Join 
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
All I can think of is either it's expired, or perhaps more likely, you need more oil. Latkes aren't an item that cooks well with just a drizzle of oil.
Probably not expired, just bought the package last week at Publix, "Best by 09/14/19."

Instructions said "thin layer of oil." I thought that I had the cast iron skillet well lubed. Maybe not. They kept breaking apart. I will try with more oil next time.

What I wanted:

What I got, was a bunch of broken up pieces.

Oh, hash browns you say?

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8100 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
"I have a problem with my latkes"

I thought this might be an outcry for help from a latkeholic. The apple sauce and sour cream are enablers.

My jewish wife says I make the best latke and I found out something that makes them even better last month. I previously thought that hand grated potatoes made better latke than using a food processor. My daughter got a new Cuisinart food processor with a very sharp grating blade that created impressive long shreds of potatoes very quickly. The sharp blade resulted in noticeably less liquid with the grated potato. The shreds were long and as dry as I've ever seen and resulted in better latkes.

Perfect latke comes about as close at reversing a cured JAP nymphomaniac as does a fine jewish whine: "Take me to Miami!"

Posts: 7453 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
The same thing happens to me when making the first kolaches of the cold-weather season. Practice and patience.

Thank God I didn't win the MM. A good kolache is less without the humility of poverty.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
I don;t hink anybody said this yet, maybe your fire was too hot?

Posts: 6469 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
I don;t hink anybody said this yet, maybe your fire was too hot?
Would that make them fall apart? I was using iron skillet, the electric stove was set to medium.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post