SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I Have A Problem With My Latkes
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I Have A Problem With My Latkes Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted
I followed the recipe carefully, but I'm not getting nice little potato pancakes. They are falling apart in the skillet and all I'm producing is a collection of bits, pieces, and crumbs.

Tastes fine, looks ugly.

What am I doing wrong? How do I fix this?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Mix an egg or two into the batter?

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15483 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
Mix an egg or two into the batter?
Yup. I did the, per the recipe.

One egg, lightly beaten, one cup water, one packet latke mix, blend together, let sit 5 or 10 minutes to thicken.

Meanwhile, heat the skillet, add a little oil, fry.

Result when my bubbeleh did it: perfect little pancakes. My result: bits, pieces, crumbs.

Tastes good, looks bad.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Result when my bubbeleh did it: perfect little pancakes.

She probably didn't use a mix.
Although I admit to having used one in the past, just to compare them to my home made. They're usually pretty foolproof.

All I can think of is either it's expired, or perhaps more likely, you need more oil. Latkes aren't an item that cooks well with just a drizzle of oil.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Did you grate your own spuds or was that included in the mix? If you grated your own you must get as much of the water out as possible.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15483 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2tonicP220
posted Hide Post
Just as when I make potato kugel, I make sure to squeeze out as much liquid as possible from the shredded potatoes. Also as said, fry them almost as deep frying and don't check too often. Also important to use a potato that will not go to mush... I like Yukon Gold, or Russet.

Posts: 2049 | Location: NW PA | Registered: March 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
My problem with latkes (or potato pancakes as my Pennsylvania Dutch forebears call them) is that no one is making them for me.

I've never made them myself.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Well..... that serves you right, 888. Just sit the fuck there and starve already. Big Grin

Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you grated your own you must get as much of the water out as possible.

^^^ This!

Posts: 9041 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Too much water!

Officers lives matter!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArLEOret:
Too much water!
Possible, but I don't think so. After letting it sit and thicken, per the instructions, it was not at all watery. Quite the opposite, in fact. Very thick.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
You don't have enough binder. Add some potato starch or maybe instant mashed potatoes to your mix.

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
All I can think of is either it's expired, or perhaps more likely, you need more oil. Latkes aren't an item that cooks well with just a drizzle of oil.
Probably not expired, just bought the package last week at Publix, "Best by 09/14/19."

Instructions said "thin layer of oil." I thought that I had the cast iron skillet well lubed. Maybe not. They kept breaking apart. I will try with more oil next time.

What I wanted:

What I got, was a bunch of broken up pieces.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
A mix??!! Noooooooo! Big Grin

V Tail, using real potatoes is cheaper, easy and tastes so much better than using a mix.

All you need is a grater.

Two russet potatoes, skin on.
1 egg
1/2 cup matzoh meal
small onion
salt
pepper.

Grate potatoes and onion, mix well adding egg, salt and pepper to taste.

When oil is hot make a latke by scooping about a 1/4 cup's worth in your hand. Squeeze the liquid out while making a patty. If it falls a part add more egg and try again.

Put in the pan flatten it a bit with a spatula. Fry until it is a deep brown then flip it and do the same on the other side.

Remove and place on paper towels to absorb excess oil. Add more salt and perrier to taste at this point.

And...get rid of that pre-mix stuff. :+)

Posts: 12921 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
LR, Latkes are easy enough to make from scratch. Here's Chef John's take on it:

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/nHZsE7T7hwI

Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Needs more anchovies. Anchovies are great binder.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
You're a bad man ! Big Grin

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
Needs more anchovies. Anchovies are great binder.
You might be on to something there.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
My problem with latkes (or potato pancakes as my Pennsylvania Dutch forebears call them) is that no one is making them for me.

I've never made them myself.

Yeah. Where's Mom when you need her? I haven't had them since I was a kid.

Posts: 2693 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well..... that serves you right, 888. Just sit the fuck there and starve already. Big Grin

That was very funny.

Posts: 2693 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post