Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Photo Hosting Login/Join 
Picture of creslin
posted
OK it's been a little while since I put this up so I figured I'd toss out a reminder.

I host photos for users here out of a server here in my home:

https://iamwingnut.com/photos

This is not meant to be a place where you upload/keep hundreds of pictures of you and your cats/kids/whatever.
This is meant for those wanting to post a picture online (classifieds or something) and need a place to host it.

I have created a "default" user that anyone can use if they want.
Username: sigforum
Password: sigforum

Anyone is free to use this account as desired - but keep in mind that anyone can come along and delete your stuff if they want to.

If you want to have your very own account in order to safeguard your stuff from other people - you have to register:

It's a pretty standard registration form - it will auto-generate you a password - then prompt for you to change it right away.

So once you're logged in, you can start uploading stuff.
You can either drop a picture into the base album - or create a new album all for your own.
If you're concerned with keeping people from deleting your stuff - I highly suggest making your own album.

To do so:

Once you have your album - click that same "add" button to add a photo.

You'll be prompted with this window:

Click the "choose files" button and find your pictures on your computer.
Once you have them selected, click the "upload" button - and wait a short bit.
If you selected more than 1 picture it can take a little while to upload/parse them all.

Once that is done... congrats you have a pic uploaded:

Now let's say you want to actually prevent random people from deleting your stuff.
Send me an email (address in my profile) with your username for my site.
I'll create a custom usergroup for you which you can use to prevent others from messing with your pics.
I'm generally within arm-reach of a computer so I should get it done pretty quick (likely 24 hours at most).

Once I have the group created, you'll want to edit your album permissions...

to look something like this:

Basically make everything red except for the column for your group - and the 2 on the far left in the example above.

Now after all that.... "Mike! How do I actually link this stuff?!"

So you go to the page with the picture you want to post and click the "show urls" button on the bottom right:

That will pop out a window that looks like this:

You can choose whichever link from there works best for you.
The "this page" link should be pretty self explanatory.
The "thumbnail" link gives a much smaller version of the picture (possibly useful for avatar pictures)
The "resized" link I've found to be great for posting things on forums. Not too big - not too small (all the examples in this post are "resized")
The "full size" is gonna be the full size of the picture you've posted. So if you want a bigass photo... this is for you!

Assuming you're going to be posting the picture here on sigforum...
Click here:

and fill in the blank:

This message has been edited. Last edited by: creslin,

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1523 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
Oh...
Meant to add - The site isn't very mobile device friendly.
So if you're trying to upload from your phone or ipad or whatever... you're likely going to have severe issues.

I hate having limitations like that (and the fact that I cannot COMPLETELY segregate users easily).. but hey - it's free so I can't complain too much right?

Posts: 1523 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
I use it often, thanks again.

Btw, in regard to using a mobile device, I tried it a year or so with the iPad, and couldn’t copy the image link..so I always used PC when I need to use your site.

For some reason, tried it with the iPad again last week and it work just fine.

Either way, thanks again.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
I appreciate your willingness to do this for others though I have not used the service. Thank you.

It looks like you put together a pretty complete HOWTO. My only concern would be the bots getting the info you have posted and somehow turning this into a nightmare for you.

For those in the know, is there a better way to share, but also protect creslin?

Posts: 3572 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ffips:
I appreciate your willingness to do this for others though I have not used the service. Thank you.

It looks like you put together a pretty complete HOWTO. My only concern would be the bots getting the info you have posted and somehow turning this into a nightmare for you.

For those in the know, is there a better way to share, but also protect creslin?

Have him change the username and password, and put them and the URL in his user profile.
That way, only registered members will be able to access it.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting this

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
Currently down for maintenance.

Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
and we're back!

Picture of PowerBook
posted Hide Post
How cool!

Thanks!

Posts: 1776 | Location: Ashburn, VA USA | Registered: June 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
I noticed a glut of bullshit users (likely bots) making accounts and posting garbage comments on my site.
So I have now implemented new user approval.
Any new user on my site required manual approval by me.
If you register for an account, an email will be sent to confirm - then I’ll get an email prompting me to approve.
This should drastically (if not eliminate) all the nonsense spam.

Note: the email may end up in the junk bin.

Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
I think I’m going to try your service. This is the only place I can see wanting to post any photos.
If I want to do more I’ll go pay for a hosting site I guess.
I’m somewhat of a computer goober so I hope I don’t screw it up.

Posts: 1198 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
Thanks for providing this service Creslin.
I have been using your site for many years for posting photos to SIGforum.
Every now and then I have gone back and deleted older photos, so as not to use up to much space.
Now I will make an album to make it easier for deleting photos without the risk of deleting someone else’s.

I have always posted from an iPad, as I do not have a computer.
I did notice the selecting of URL path is easier now than it had been a year or two ago.
I have no problems using your site and posting to SIGforum from my iPad.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
Down for a short bit.
Just swapped out my router so my IP changed.
Will take a bit for DNS to update.

Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I'm sure folks here really appreciate your willingness to provide this service. It is very kind of you. (I don't use it because I have a Flickr account.)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Very kind of you. I use your site to host my avatar for the forum. Thanks again.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
This is very generous of you. I just registered.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Tgrshrk99
posted Hide Post
Thanks for doing this. I just tried it for the first time - very easy to use!

Posts: 606 | Location: Between here and the end of the line | Registered: November 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
This is very helpful, thanks. I tried to register but never got the verifying e-mail?

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3388 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by UTsig:
This is very helpful, thanks. I tried to register but never got the verifying e-mail?

Check your junk folder?

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I've been hosting my avatars (main one plus a few rotating holiday ones) on Creslin's site for quite a while.

It's very appreciated as the free photo hosting sites aren't avatar friendly.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post