SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Texas State Rep Sponsors Bill Requiring Photos on EBT Cards
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Texas State Rep Sponsors Bill Requiring Photos on EBT Cards Login/Join 
Picture of olfuzzy
posted
I've been wondering for a long time why they didn't do this. I would think it would be considered a state issued Photo ID for voting too.

A Texas state representative is looking to combat food stamp fraud by sponsoring a bill which would require the state’s health and human service commission to add names and photos to state identification cards for food stamp users.

Rep. Dade Phelan (R-Beaumont) introduced legislation that would task the Texas Health and Human Service Commission with adding photos and names of each food stamp recipient on “Lone Star Cards,” which are the state’s Electronic Transfer Benefit (EBT) cards used to provide food stamp benefits to those in need.

The state ID cards give food stamp users access to government welfare programs such as the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) and Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF).

The bill would also require the state to have greater oversight over how often state residents apply for new benefit cards as a way to cut down on fraud in the state food stamp program.

Phelan said he introduced the bill because food stamp fraud in the state is commonplace, adding that the most common fraud cases in the state occur when benefit recipients exchange their state benefit cards and PIN numbers for cash at convenience stores.

“Individuals taking advantage of taxpayer-funded benefits are far too commonplace,” Phelan said in a statement. “We must make certain our most vulnerable Texans receive the food and supplies they desperately need; however, selling one’s Lone Star Card for cash is unacceptable. We need common sense safeguards to protect Texas taxpayers.”

State investigators found millions of dollars worth of food stamp fraud in Texas over the years. In 2016, investigators uncovered $17 million worth of fraud in 154 counties, according to state records.

Federal investigators have also uncovered millions in food stamp fraud in other parts of the country. In one case, investigators found that an Ohio meat business conducted $8.4 million in fraudulent SNAP transactions.

https://www.breitbart.com/poli...ng-photos-ebt-cards/

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
great idea,
How about this...

Make them show up someplace and get a bag of groceries like a pound of sugar, a pound of flour, a jug of oil, some salt, some meat, some veggies...
Why should it be convient ?

Or just put enough money on the card to get the basics?..once it’s lost or stolen or anything else that person doesn’t get anything again until the new month rolls around

And if ever, EVER found to be swindling the system, it’s bye bye, no more for you...ever.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm sure that somehow, putting pics on the card is "racist". Personally think this is an excellent idea!

Posts: 1638 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: June 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olfuzzy:
I've been wondering for a long time why they didn't do this. I would think it would be considered a state issued Photo ID for voting too.

While I see where you're going with that, I wouldn't deem it an appropriate "voter ID card", as there are too many illegals and felons that get EBT cards, i.e. all EBT card-holders are not eligible to vote. At least that's my thinking...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:

Makes too much sense. Also the democrats will argue that the black folks are too stupid to get a picture taken, just like they are somehow incapable finding a DMV or have the ability to use the internet. So somehow, this proposal will be racist.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Many of the objections to a photo I.D. at the voting booth are not from the minority voters themselves but from Democrat Party activists! Obviously it makes it harder to commit voter fraud but to me the idea that liberals do not consider voters smart enough and that they must be led by the hand would make me strongly consider voting for someone else. Hence the reason they do it.

Posts: 165 | Registered: December 23, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Meh. I think this is a waste of time.

My debit card has my photo on it. The photo was taken nearly 20 years ago, when I was 16. Every couple years, my bank sends me a new debit card, with the same old photo printed in the top corner. It looks nothing like me now. Hell, I don't even have hair now.

Not once has a cashier ever given it a glance.

Same with signatures on the back of cards. Some folks don't sign their cards at all. Some put something like "See ID". Nobody ever gives them a second look.

Cashiers just don't care.

Besides, most transactions these days, the cashier doesn't even look at or handle the card at all. You swipe it yourself at a card reader.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Bonafide genius! God bless Texas

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Not bad. Make them double as time cards that only fill with work done by the hour. Now we're talking!

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29607 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
How about this...

Make them show up someplace and get a bag of groceries like a pound of sugar, a pound of flour, a jug of oil, some salt, some meat, some veggies...

Ah yes, the olden days. When people would have to line up for their government cheese. Then they'd walk around the corner and sell it for cash.

Posts: 10823 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Meh. I think this is a waste of time.

My debit card has my photo on it. The photo was taken nearly 20 years ago, when I was 16. Every couple years, my bank sends me a new debit card, with the same old photo printed in the top corner. It looks nothing like me now. Hell, I don't even have hair now.

Not once has a cashier ever given it a glance.

Same with signatures on the back of cards. Some folks don't sign their cards at all. Some put something like "See ID". Nobody ever gives them a second look.

Cashiers just don't care.

Besides, most transactions these days, the cashier doesn't even look at or handle the card at all. You swipe it yourself at a card reader.

I used to write on the back of my credit Cards: "See picture ID". Maybe one in 20 cashiers would ask for ID.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
great idea,
How about this...

Why should it be convient ?

50 years ago my first State Agency job after college was working with the "Donated Commodities" program which did issue 'government cheese' and a lot of other basics. Beans/rice/flour/cooking oil/peanut butter etc.

Secretly in tandem with other farm programs, it was a county/state/federal arrangement which somewhat stabilized farm overproduction while giving otherwise unemployable gov.drones like myself some notion of 'being employed'.

It had a raft of critics including a large percentage of those who got free donated commodities but were too busy to stand in a line or bring something to haul the groceries home.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9849 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've been wondering for a long time why they didn't do this. I would think it would be considered a state issued Photo ID for voting too

I’m not convinced that people on the government teat should have voting rights, but maybe that’s another matter.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
When a well-dressed 20-something Asian or Latino woman with a grocery card full of high-end canned & bottled beverages is in front of me in the checkout line, she will be "paying" with a "SNAP" card.

I've witnessed people digging for "their cousin's card", finally retrieving an envelope with contents one would associate with an alternate identity.

Several months ago the Monster energy drinks brand removed that single word to its nutritional label and then like magic, food stamps users could buy the drinks. - Nov 1, 2013

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
It had a raft of critics including a large percentage of those who got free donated commodities but were too busy to stand in a line or bring something to haul the groceries home.

I suppose then they are not as bad off as they seem is convenience is more important than survival.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
And since all you do with one is either swipe or insert in machine and then input the passcode... what good would it do? I presume the casher will have to check the PHOTO first before authorizing the payment.... I know it sounds petty but that takes time and will eventually cost 'us' more money.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
I’m not convinced that people on the government teat should have voting rights, but maybe that’s another matter.

BOOM!!! Right here...I was just about to post the same exact thing.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe if they worked more like liquor licenses(on the business end), where the business has to check for I.d. or chance getting their license revoked, then ALL the cashiers would check/verify that the person using the card was the actual person it belonged to.

Posts: 537 | Registered: March 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MagicHorse:
Maybe if they worked more like liquor licenses(on the business end), where the business has to check for I.d. or chance getting their license revoked, then ALL the cashiers would check/verify that the person using the card was the actual person it belonged to.

∆∆∆∆∆

This for sure.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
how about you ONLY get an EBT card if you're a citizen, or a legal resident

current photo, and a fingerprint on every card

make the card harder to get as well

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post