SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How does one teach (or convince) a boss to be a leader?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How does one teach (or convince) a boss to be a leader? Login/Join 
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
Thank you for the article link, enidpd.

quote:
from enidpd's article:
empathy and vision

I believe Pat has a vision (in my opinion it has as much to do with Pat's personal success as with that of the organization), but I'm thinking there's a serious lack of empathy. The "Pat's way or the highway" and "management by intimidation" things serve as evidence.

Thank you for that.

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
A long, long time ago, I worked in a grocery store. It was there that I learned the difference between a boss and a manger. Better stated: I learned the difference between a boss and a leader.

The man who held the Manager title was an older fellow (old to me at the time, that is). He'd give us a pile of work to do, expect us to go do it, and come grouch at us when we hadn't gotten it done. The man who held the Assistant Manager was a bit younger (probably 40 at the time... maybe). He'd give us a pile of work to do, expect us to go do it, and come help us when we didn't get it finished. On snowy days, he would be right there with us, bringing in carts or mopping the floor. A number of nights he was there helping us get the shelves restocked. He was, in my mind, a manager -- a leader.

Fast forward a bunch of years. I'm way beyond college and well into a good career. There are two individuals in my organization who are definitely bosses, and definitely not leaders. Recognize that statement is my opinion, but I'm not the only one in the place with that opinion. One of them may not matter much, as we're told retirement comes in October. A self-solving problem, almost.

The other is straight-up control hound. Pat (yes, a pseudonym) was put into an "operations management" role a year or so ago, and is full-on power hungry. Increasingly, every decision has to be run across Pat's desk. I learned today that Pat has demanded to see every purchase request (despite that we have a purchasing team and a purchasing manager). It's always I/me/my with Pat, never "we." This has gotten to the point that one of our team even went to the general manager (Number One in the house) and asked which of them actually "wears the pants" in the organization. Probably not a cool move, but I can't deny the question needed to be asked.

I could rant for a while and give tons of examples, but it all boils down to the fact that Pat is clearly a boss, and not at all a leader. Pat runs on the "management by fear" premise, constantly threatening disciplinary action, even for the smallest of mistakes. Increasingly, our team members are downtrodden and disheartened, largely because of Pat's crummy management style. It's Pat's way or the highway.

I know that changing people or changing people's behaviors are among the hardest things in the world to do. But short of ridding the organization of Pat, how do we turn this lemon into lemonade? How do you get a hardened boss to change his ways? What we need from Pat is more teamwork -- as in, let your crew actually do what they're trained to do, and don't micromanage them; trust people to do what's right and necessary, and get out of their way so they can do it. Stop constantly threatening everyone on the team (150 or so of us) with "disciplinary action." Stop adding work to the teams that are understaffed, and stop denying those teams help.

I don't have "high enough authority" to walk into Pat's office and give a big "cut that crap out" lecture, so I have to learn how to influence a change in other ways. Obviously I could call/write/email "up the chain," but that's indirect and often just looks like sour grapes.

I need some guidance, my invisible friends.

curious which grocery chain you worked for ,

35 yr veteran, 24+ with Winn Dixie and the rest with Kroger,

both took the time to teach you how to manage folks, and lead them,

both put me thru a pile of HR related classes (Achieve Global, Dale Carnegie etc etc) and invested heavily in our management training,

W/D believed in promoting from within, and I started as a Produce Clerk and left as a Store Manager,

Kroger struggled , and I think it has gotten worse , with that but were good when I was there,

maybe because the first 2 Division (KMA ) presidents I worked for had a HR and people background,
in a company full of College management, I was one of the few that did not have a degree to earn a promotion to store manager,

now in the firearm business, and have met a pile of people that are or were Big Box store management, and I wonder how any of those business actually manage to stay in business,

the management is piss poor, and most that I talk to have had damn near 0 training of any kind,

everything is a checklist,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:

My grocery store experience was with a family-owned store not far from the coalfields. I heard recently that Kroger is a union operation ... I didn't know before that grocery workers even had a union. Confused How about that!

Checklists and good instructions are a good thing, I think, but they don't take the place of good knowledge, sense, and experience.

God bless America.

Posts: 13498 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:

My grocery store experience was with a family-owned store not far from the coalfields. I heard recently that Kroger is a union operation ... I didn't know before that grocery workers even had a union. Confused How about that!

Checklists and good instructions are a good thing, I think, but they don't take the place of good knowledge, sense, and experience.

Kroger is, for the most part, nationwide Union,

in this area (central Va and tidewater) UFCW local 400,.

local 400 is full of graft and piss poor leadership, RVA and tidewater have pitiful union folks and a very weak contract,

when I left, several stores were opened w/o a union presence, not sure if that is still true or not

they were actively attempting to break the union hold, and doing well at it in some locations,

however since Dillon retired, a lot has changed, a lot has changed, and not for the good,

when I was there, it was hard to get promoted because the turnover was low in management, you basically had to wait for a retirement, or new store , (unless someone screwed up)
in the almost 5 years I have been gone, there are maybe 3 out of 16 or so Store Managers left that I worked with,
that is or was unheard of

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
“Leadership consists of nothing but taking responsibility for everything that goes wrong and giving your subordinates credit for everything that goes well.”

I was hired to manage a department of a local store in February and the above quote is how I’ve approached it. If I take credit for anything it’s almost always in the context of “we” or “the team.” If one of my guys isn’t performing I explain and demonstrate what the expectations are. If things don’t improve I have a talk with the person in question to determine where the disconnect is. I try to make sure I’ve been clear and the failure isn’t on my end. If the situation doesn’t improve that’s when accountability is involved. I told the store manager in my interview that I’m not now and never will be a micromanager. He’s on board with that and it’s good to know. I haven’t always made the right or best decisions but I own up to the mistakes and learn from them. I must be doing something right because the upper management team has already put three commendations in my file in five months. I know people that have worked there for a few years that only have 3-5 in their files.

Most of the people under me are half my age or younger. I was concerned about their work ethics but only one has been an issue so far. One guy is 19 years old and he’s rock solid. One night when we were closing he mentioned that he didn’t expect a manager to work so hard on the mundane duties around the store. I said, “Leaders are out front. Bosses order you around from a desk.” He’s on board with that and I’m sure it’s inspired him to give me all the effort he’s capable of giving.

The guy you’re having trouble with will never change. You’ll either have to let him destroy himself or outlast him.

One guy’s two cents and possibly worth it adjusted for inflation.

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:

The first large corporation I worked for would send execs with lousy people skills there to try to transform them. We called it the "charm school".
I worked for a really big company. Every employee who was promoted to a supervisory position was sent to charm school before assuming the new assignment.

It didn’t work for this guy, but helped others.

I remember one newly-promoted, hard-charging VP in our group. I was meeting with one of his staff when he barged into the office and, without taking a breath, started barking orders at her. I said “I’m sorry for talking while you were so rudely interrupting”.

He stopped and had this stunned look on his face. I could just tell he was thinking of all the “rules” he’d been taught at charm school that he’d just violated. To his credit, he walked out, apologized to me later, and did try harder in the future. Smile

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6403 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I wonder how assholes like that get to be promoted further and further up the chain.

I suppose if you check all the right boxes and kiss the right asses then you get promoted?

People like Pat never change, what they need is an attitude adjustment.

Posts: 13110 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It depends on how a manager looks at it. Not everyone is cut out to be a manager and a lot of them are managers.

Some people see it as they've busted their butts to become a manager and now is the time to let everyone else bust their butt as they simply make decisions......which technically is the definition of managing and manager......compared to workers. But a lot of employees see a lot of managers as lazy, when in actuality they're very busy on the phone, internet, sending emails, and ordering things to make things operate.

I think a lot of the managers that manage by fear are because they're insecure and that's the only way they know how to lead or get respect by showing them who's boss. It does seem like a lot of A-holes get promoted.

Some industries and jobs require the manager to be active and participate to a large effect. But the real question lies, is it simply because the company is too cheap to have the proper amount of staffing so that the Manager can actually manage and observe everything that is going on and manage employees and see things that need improvement, kind of hard to do that if you're running the line in a restaurant, or getting carts from a parking lot, or sweeping floors. It's one thing if an employee calls in sick, it's just a form of cheapness on the company if it's all of the time. For what you're paying a manager, their time is best spent increasing sales, efficiency, or production, not sweeping floors.

My industry is a little different, but some mates resent the fact that they may see me in the salon (livingroom) of the yacht, on the phone or filling out paperwork, while they're busy outside washing the yacht. But what they don't realize is, the 7 legal size pages of customs and immigration documents are the LAST thing I want to be doing, but need to be done before customs and immigration arrive. Or the hour I'm spending on the phone, trying to make reservations for dinner for the owner/guests, or trying to change docking reservations because that's what the owner wants, I'm not on the phone with my buddy. It goes both ways.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
I think a lot of the managers that manage by fear are because they're insecure and that's the only way they know how to lead or get respect by showing them who's boss. It does seem like a lot of A-holes get promoted.

Correct.

quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
what they don't realize is {...}

I didn't say Pat doesn't do anything for the company; I'm saying Pat treats nearly everyone around terribly while doing it.

God bless America.

Posts: 13498 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
If you would like a copy of The Servant, I’ll be happy to send you one.

Thank you very much, Noah, the book arrived this morning.

- - - - - -

I've got a ton of reading to do now, thanks to Noah (The Servant) and one of my allies at work (Extreme Ownership, Tribe, and The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck). Cool

I halfway hope it rains all day tomorrow.

God bless America.