SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    RIP John Young
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RIP John Young Login/Join 
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted
John Young, NASA Astronaut & the 9th man to walk on the moon passed away friday night. he was 87. He flew on Gemini 3 & 10, Apollo 10 & 16, & 2 Shuttle flights - including the first.

John Young, NASA

quote:
John Young was an astronaut's astronaut—quiet, reticent, and utterly reliable in space. During his long and incomparable career as an astronaut, he flew three different vehicles into space: the Gemini capsule, the Apollo capsule, and the space shuttle. He died Friday night, at the age of 87, from complications of pneumonia.

With a tenure that spanned 42 years, Young had the longest career of any astronaut. He piloted the first fight of a Gemini spacecraft, alongside commander Gus Grissom, commanded another Gemini mission, then flew two Apollo missions to the Moon, and finally commanded the first and ninth flights of the space shuttle. During Apollo 16, he spent 71 hours on the surface of the Moon, and also flew the lunar module. With his passing, just five living human beings have walked on the Moon: Buzz Aldrin, 87; Alan Bean, 85; Dave Scott, 85; Charlie Duke, 82; and Harrison Schmitt, 82.

After earning a degree in aeronautical engineering from the Georgia Institute of Technology in 1952, Young joined the US Navy. He was not eligible for the initial Mercury class of astronauts in 1959, but he was a member of the next nine selected in 1962, a legendary class that included Neil Armstrong, Jim Lovell, and others who flew many of the Gemini and Apollo missions.

A hardworking guy

The first chief of the astronaut office, Deke Slayton, had high praise for Young in his autobiography Deke! "John was one of the unsung heroes of the Astronaut Office, a real hardworking guy who did whatever you asked him to, no problems. The only thing that held him back was that he was not comfortable with public speaking; he tended to freeze up and give one-word answers."

Much later, after he had become chief of the astronaut office himself, Young played an important role in the selection of crews for space shuttle missions. He still had a quiet manner at this time, and the large class of 35 astronauts chosen in 1978 would joke about this by noting how he always kept his eyes down on his papers during meetings. "Does anyone know the color of John's eyes?" they would ask.

Perhaps not, but there was little fear in those eyes and little question about Young's capability to fly a spacecraft. Gemini 3 was set to be the first crewed flight of a NASA spacecraft that could carry not one, but two people into space. Mercury veteran Gus Grissom was going to be one of them, but after he nixed NASA's initial choice for his pilot (Frank Borman), Grissom had no qualms about John Young as a replacement. The pair flew three low Earth orbit missions and launched the Gemini program on a successful trajectory. Two years later, after Grissom died in the Apollo 1 fire, his pallbearers were his fellow Mercury astronauts—and Gemini crew mate John Young.

In 1969, Young served as the command module pilot for the Apollo 10 mission, a dress rehearsal and the last flight before the actual lunar landings. Three years later, he returned to the Moon, this time as commander of the mission to the surface. As the second lunar landing with an electric rover, Young and Charlie Duke visited distant craters and giant boulders while collecting nearly 100kg of Moon rocks to bring back to Earth.

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What an amazing fraternity. Gets smaller every year and not sure any more will ever join. RIP great American.

Posts: 4765 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
NASA's glory days do not seem that long ago to me. I remember getting up early to watch some Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo launches. Seems like yesterday. RIP Astronaut Young, you're a true American hero.

Posts: 7553 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I met him one time in an FBO in Louisiana.

6 spaceflights, twice to the Moon, 9th to walk on the Moon, and he took the Shuttle up for it's first flight ever.

Truly a legend.

RIP.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What a career! A person that got things done!

RIP

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
RIP, John. You have earned it.
quote:
Mercury veteran Gus Grissom was going to be one of them, but after he nixed NASA's initial choice for his pilot (Frank Borman), Grissom had no qualms about John Young as a replacement.

I wonder why?

Posts: 9041 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I still remember well the landing of STS-1. Dead stick landing from outer space to touch down at the exact spot marked at Edwards, IIRC. Amazing.

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
RIP sir.

Posts: 4627 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am sorry to see him pass; he was one of my hero's. My favorite memory of him was before the first shuttle launch. The night prior, he and Bob Crippen gave a press conference. Note that Young is the most experienced flying astronaut of the entire group at this point, having flown on all but Mercury, and twice to the moon. Some reporter asked him if he was scared, sitting on top of that big, untested rocket, with two solid boosters that had never before been used in manned flight. Young responded immediately with "well, if you're not scared, then you don't understand the problem..."

Posts: 201 | Location: Boyce, VA | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
^^^^
Its interesting to read about STS-1, Bob Crippen said that after landing, normally un-emontional John Young was ecstatic - he even left the flight deck and walked around outside the shuttle, shaking hands while Crippen finished all the post flight landing stuff alone - if you watch the videos, he's grinning from ear to ear - testament to the risk that mission entailed.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another thing I remember from the first shuttle flight was that President Reagan met them at the landing site, and they went to a big wooden stand to deliver remarks, right on the tarmac. After this incredible life in spaceflight, and the just-finished first flight of the new shuttle
without a hitch, John Young opened his remarks by introducing his wife to the President. He said (if my memory serves) "Mr. President, I'd like to introduce you to the best thing that ever happened to me, my wife..." He had class.

Posts: 201 | Location: Boyce, VA | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of drew3630
posted Hide Post
I just found out. I recall watching him and Robert Crippen as they made the first ever space shuttle landing. RIP sir, you're now at home in the stars

Posts: 244 | Location: Northern California | Registered: June 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DeadHead
Picture of two-two-niner-romeo
posted Hide Post
Godspeed John Young. RIP

"Being miserable and treating other people like dirt is every New Yorker's God-given right!" - GhostBusters II

"You have all the tools you need. Don't blame them. Use them." - Dan Worrall

Posts: 1903 | Location: Putnam County, NY | Registered: May 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Miataguy
posted Hide Post
Another one of my Heroes is gone.

R.I.P John Young

Posts: 186 | Location: Long Beach, CA. | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are two groups of flyers who are truly heroes:
The Gemini / Apollo Astronauts.
The Doolittle Raiders.
RIP John Young

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16091 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3520 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Only Astronaut to have flown the Gemini, Apollo and Space Shuttle ...that's one hell of an achievement. Where's Hollywood to make a movie or, Tom Wolfe to write the book.

Posts: 14655 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post