SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    will be relocating soon -- got any advice regarding movers??
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

will be relocating soon -- got any advice regarding movers?? Login/Join 
Picture of 226Reasons
posted Hide Post
We used old dominion. I loaded the pup truck with some friends (they drop it off at the house and you call when its loaded). Then they haul it to a depot near where you live. When you get there you call and they drop it off, you have 2 days to unload it. I used 17' in a 28' pup trailer, cost about $1030 4 years ago. Worked out great and way cheaper/less of a hassle than renting my own truck. You could hire some local movers to get it loaded, then hire guys where you are moving to unload it.

Posts: 1327 | Location: TN | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
We will be moving in mid June from eastern NC to Temple Tx.

Mrs. Mike's business has contracted Grabel to do the move and sale of our home.

I've moved about 25 times and I'm too old and broken to do a DITY move again. I've experienced the military moves and I can echo. tip the workers, buy them a case of beer, tip the driver and things will go well.

I had a move w/another sailor (corpsman) from the same base to another at the same time. we actually were packed on the same truck (both homes)....I tipped the workers, Doc did not....guess whos shit got lost or broken? (Doc's wife was a condescending bitch and chivvied the workers all day)

Here is what I plan to do:
    reduce excess stuff (if it hasn't been used in the last year-say goodbye)
    have a yardsale
    move guns, jewels, important papers, photos & meds in my truck
    we will tow her car w/my truck
    write stuff on the boxes as to what room it was in, ie MBR, KIT, 1BR...
    bring your own pillows
    I'm sure I've forgotten something

------------------
Our last move was local and I did it myself.
I went to Lowes and bought a stack of medium sized boxes and started a few months ahead of time. went to one room and started loading it until it was full. I also went to the local newspaper and got the ends of paper rolls for like $3.00 and used newsprint to wrap stuff. When a box was full I wrote what room it belonged to and a list of contents on the outside w/a sharpie. Then the box got stacked in the dining room unitl the boxes were stacked to the ceiling and started another row.

Standard size boxes make loading a truck easy. I didn't rent any moving blankets I used our blankets and wrapped the item with saran wrap (you can get giant rolls from SAMS Clubs....

because I was doing the move I didn't have to worry about transporting gas, propane, ect...

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11268 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wreckless
posted Hide Post
My Mom just moved from VA to FL and every box that she marked as FRAGILE was damaged. They even broke an antique table at the main support. Never put anything fragile in the truck. Rent a trailer and bring it yourself. Lesson learned.

La Dolce Vita

Posts: 543 | Location: SW Florida & SNJ | Registered: July 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Avoid United Van Lines.

They contracted to do a coast to coast move for me, then failed to show up. On the night before the move, the truck driver called me and all was set.
The following morning, I called back to his cell, since it was 09:00 and be had been scheduled to be at my house at 08:00. I figured he was having a hard time finding the place. Nope, he replied "Nobody called you? They estimated the size of one of the other jobs wrong and my truck is already full. I'm already headed West". (They do shared loads in semi's when you're not shipping enough to fill an entire container).
I called the main number and they explained that, yes, that is the case. The truck they scheduled for me is already full and moving out. I asked them when they are sending another. They tell me "Oh, we're not sending another. That was it." I ask them why they are not sending a different truck. They explained to me that it would mean renting another truck, getting a driver and a crew, and it being a holiday and all (New Year's weekend), that would be really expensive so I was out of luck.

They contracted with me, screwed up estimating someone else's move and gave away my spot on the truck, and then punked out without so much as an "Oops, our bad". I ended up having to find a Mom and Pop mover to save my ass, the following day.

Screw United Van Lines.

Bruce

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RNshooter,

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post