SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Auto dealer plate question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Auto dealer plate question Login/Join 
Picture of C-Dubs
posted
As I was out running errands this morning, a burgundy minivan pulled out in front of me. Happens a lot. No worries.

But then I noticed the California plates. Behind him at a stop light, I see it’s a dealer plate.

No “temp tag” or anything like that.

So, my question: are there any legality issues with using a dealer plate...2000 miles from California?

The minivan had an extension ladder and orange pylons strapped to rack on top. So, probably some contractor or something.

Is the vehicle stolen? Can John Q Public find out who the dealer plates are registered to?

Was...just odd, I guess

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Odds are, like most everything else these days, the rules are being ignored, abused.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Probably depends on exactly how California words their statutes. In my state, the dealer can plate any car the dealership is offering for sale. With large dealerships especially, there will be lots of employees with plated program cars. The only ones actually registered are delivery and shuttle vehicles.

Posts: 5159 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by C-Dubs:
So, my question: are there any legality issues with using a dealer plate...2000 miles from California?

Maybe being transported/delivered?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:
Maybe because of this.

http://www.laweekly.com/news/w...rit-molecule-8971268

Ya know, I had considered the other options listed above, but this one seems the most plausible! Smile

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IIRC, here in AZ there was an issue a few years ago with dealers and GM's giving their wives "demos" and allowing them to drive with dealer plates. I believe the state stepped in and set some boundaries.

I also remember back in the 80's when I was a dealer marketing director everyone got a demo and a dealer plate, every sales guy and manager at least and that slowly went away over time but it was good while it lasted...22 y/o fresh out of school getting a decent salary with free car, free gas and no insurance payment...I cringed when i had to buy my first new car

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post