Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shave creams Login/Join 
posted
I started my safety razor experience some years back by purchasing a Merkur razor, badger brush, and Omega hard shave cream in the tub. After using the Omega for a while I ventured into the world of glycerin shave soaps.

I have recently gone back to creams and now consider the years using soaps as wasted. Put simply, I find a good cream beats hell out of a good soap. YMMV.

I still think the Omega is a good cream and I enjoy the scent.

I have used Cremo and it may be the best cream for most users since it seems to be sold everywhere, at least in my neck of the woods. Although it can be worked into a lather in a bowl, I feel it gives better lubrication and razor glide when applied with the fingers per the directions. I purchased the Cooling and the menthol was so strong it brought tears to my eyes first few times I used it. That passed with use.

I ordered some Palmolive Classic cream from the old country as it is not sold in the US. This stuff gets good reviews on the shave forums as it is apparently cheap in Europe. Royal mail shipping ups the cost to almost the same per ounce price as Cremo. If this stuff was available for cheap in the US then I would give it a thumbs up. At the shipped price it is only so so.

I am wanting to give the Pacific Shave Company cream a try. Also their after shave balm.

I have tried the Proraso in a tub. Despite this stuff being darn near universally recommended on the forums, I found it meh.

What's your favorite shave cream?

Posts: 775 | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bounce around but this seems to be my go to. I get it from amazon for like $11.

RazoRock La Famiglia Shaving Soap, Zi' Peppino Green Tobacco 4.2 oz(125 ml)

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
I like Mitchell's Woolfat soap. Good stuff.

Posts: 11352 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wishbone
posted Hide Post
Cremo

Posts: 946 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Did you try any tallow-based soaps? I like Stirling quite a bit. Haven’t tried any glycerine soaps yet, but when I do, I’ll start with Col. Conk’s lime.

Cremo is great stuff. If menthol isn’t your thing, their citrus and sage is very good.

I haven’t tried Proraso, but at some point I’ll feel like I have to, given how prolific it is. Same thing with Arko and Taylor of Old Bond Street, at different ends of the scales price-wise.

Posts: 17056 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
Cremo seven days a week

Posts: 4986 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My daughter bought me some Jack Black Supreme Cream as a gift and it has been great!

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dove Men's Care Shave Gel. Sensitive face and this works for me leaving no irritation.

Posts: 465 | Location: Pell City, AL. U.S. | Registered: December 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
If cost isn't a concern (it's still under 20 bucks)

This is the finest shaving lather I've found, and others whom I trust are are BIG into shaving also love

http://www.mikesnaturalsoaps.com

Posts: 8144 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
Cremo is the best but I like using a brush so Taylor of Old Bond Street is my usual. I like their sandalwood.

Posts: 11506 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
I use a DE safety razor (Feather AS-D2 with Feather blades). I find I get a LOT more razor burn and nicks using cream (including Cremo) than with even a really half-assed lather using Proraso soap.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clayflingythingy:
I started my safety razor experience some years back by purchasing a Merkur razor, badger brush, and Omega hard shave cream in the tub. After using the Omega for a while I ventured into the world of glycerin shave soaps.

Is Omega shave soap tallow based? If it is, is it the only tallow soap you've used? I'm a soap guy who spent too much time on glycerin soaps before discovering the tallow soaps.

Posts: 7319 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigmule
posted Hide Post
I’ll put in a recommendation for, Kiehls “ close shavers” squadron.
It’s brushless an 8.4oz tub gets me threw the better part of a year for $20.00.

I’ll average every other day for shaving.

Posts: 2330 | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
Lucky Tiger

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FenderBender:
If cost isn't a concern (it's still under 20 bucks)

This is the finest shaving lather I've found, and others whom I trust are are BIG into shaving also love

http://www.mikesnaturalsoaps.com

Yep, I always recommend Mike's here. Haven't found anything better.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
Proraso is my favorite of the creams.

Posts: 8272 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I like Clinique for Men Aloe Shave Gel. https://www.clinique.com/produ...HEAQYAyABEgLArfD_BwE

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8657 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One word fellas. Tabac. You will be pleased. Tobacco and leather, beautiful scent. These things are arbitrary,but this is perfect to me.

Posts: 403 | Registered: November 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
I have used a lot of different soaps, razo rock, taylor of old bond,Tabac, reef point.... etc.

One similarity is I like shave soaps with tallow. Rendered animal fat.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4784 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleAdobe:
One word fellas. Tabac. You will be pleased. Tobacco and leather, beautiful scent. These things are arbitrary,but this is perfect to me.

I quit smoking nine years ago. Tobacco scent isn’t a selling point for me. *shrug*

Posts: 17056 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post