SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Recommend a good LED headlamp for me
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommend a good LED headlamp for me Login/Join 
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted
Looking for a new LED headlamp. Primary use will be seeing the grill after dark plus camping trips.

Prefer something darn bright but also not going to break the bank.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I use a Fenix HL55 used it today crawling around in attic running wires. I love it. Bright as hell to normal everyday use, very large range of brightness. Uses two 123's, but I have standardized on 18650s for all lights. Rechargeable gives way more run time and in some flashlights higher lumen output.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20803 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You want an excellent headlamp, with lots of light...for BBQing? You get too much light and it'll washout whatever you're looking at.

Any one of these brands will suffice, all make excellent, tried n'true, durable, head torches:

Petzl
Black Diamond
Princeton Tec
Surefire

Posts: 14630 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I got a Million of 'em!
posted Hide Post
I have an O light lamp that has a headband that I like a lot. Rechargeable battery with a magnetic connector with variable output levels and the flashlight body is removable from the headset assembly to make a regular L shaped flashlight.

If it has one downside, it might be a tiny bit heavier than a dedicated headlamp but I’ve worn it hiking without discomfort.

Posts: 8145 | Location: Hiram, GA. | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
What’s your budget?

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3960 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
What's wrong with one of these? https://www.homedepot.com/p/En...ed-HDC32EH/205878435 I have one and use it for all sorts of things.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just bought a 3 pack of Duracell headlamps with the AAA batteries included for $19.99 at Costco today and they're 500 lumens, they're LED, 1 setting falls into your bright as shit category and somewhat focused lens, the other is a medium lens, and third setting is wide angle......all 3 settings you can see exactly what you're doing when barbequeing.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
I use this every day, all day at times.
https://coastportland.com/coll...lamps/products/fl85r

I have 4 batteries with 2 on the charger.
I Have quite a few lights from Coast.

Posts: 1475 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use Petzl headlamps for work (Army) and they have never let me down.

Posts: 2016 | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I'm impressed with my Fenix HP15 Ultimate Edt. Expedition Headlamp, but it's complete overkill (too big, too heavy, too bright, too much money) for the OP's situation.

The Fenix HM23 would be a better fit since it's smaller, lighter, less complex, not crazy bright, and 1/2 the money.

I have an inexpensive big box store Duracell that would also be a better fit for the OP.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23194 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I did not have good luck with Fenix on a headlamp. I think I would go the costco route that J123 or something like bigdeal posted. My favorite is an old coleman max. Got great throw which helps me while I am out at night.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19155 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I have a Black Dimond I've had for years. Taken it on many overnight backpacking trips.

They no longer make my model but this is close.

Adjustable brightness and red light. If you're using it camping I think a red light is a must. Have to get up at night and don't want to bother anyone or hurt your night vision.

https://www.rei.com/rei-garage...iamond-spot-headlamp

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16387 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shiftyvtec
posted Hide Post
I bought a Zebralight headlamp. I forget the model (there's too many options really). I have been using it on my hardhat and the brightness and color are exceptional.

They have some sales going on at the moment

Posts: 1568 | Location: Near Austin, TX | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
My favorite headlamp is Zebralight H502d. But my Manker E03H gets a lot of use with its magnetic base.

Posts: 1058 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
I'm impressed with my Fenix HM23.

Damn, that sounds perfect!. Did I read right? 1.52? This is perfect homeowner (me, when I don't need my heavier duty work stuff) use. Sold.

I'm a Fenix fiend and I didn't know about this. Thanks!

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20803 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I have a Black Diamond Spot 325 that I keep in my car kit. I like it very much but I guess it's now frowned upon to recommend BD products since the recent news that they sent some American jobs overseas. Nevertheless, it's what I have and I think it's a great choice.

Posts: 107459 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tried many.

THIS is the winner:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/302204633

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 966 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
A good, durable cheap one: https://www.amazon.com/Spotlig...TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Go with JonDaddy’s Milwaukee if you want to spend the coin. It turns night into day.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3960 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I have a Black Diamond Spot 325 that I keep in my car kit. I like it very much but I guess it's now frowned upon to recommend BD products since the recent news that they sent some American jobs overseas. Nevertheless, it's what I have and I think it's a great choice.

This, but the Black Diamond Storm. 4 batteries, a little brighter, and has a seal for the battery compartment that makes it more water resistant.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Use an Olight H1R daily and didn't know what I was missing until I bought it.
https://www.olightstore.com/h1r-cool-white.html

If you want a brighter light with even more runtime per charge, they have the H2R which takes two batteries (18650).
https://www.olightstore.com/h2r.html

Both lights have the simple magnetic charging. You'll find yourself using this light all the time. They are very handy!

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post