SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Recommend a good LED headlamp for me
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommend a good LED headlamp for me Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Another option is if you are like many of us and almost always wear a ball cap you can use a flashlight you already probably own by using the pocket clip to clip it on the bill.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Streamlight makes a good one. I have this one and can attest to its quality.

https://tacticalgear.com/strea...l-usb-headlamp-black

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have really liked all of the black diamond headlamps I've had (more than one due to loss). The dedicated spot light is nice for out and about work and the flood light mode is good for up close work. The output is also 'infinitely' variable (within the range). I also prefer lights that take replaceable batteries vs rechargeable lights since I'm often in the woods our out on the lake and being able to pop in a fresh set when it starts to dim is a great option since I often don't have access to grid power in those locations.

Black Diamond Storm is the latest one I have. It has a '1 touch max' mode which is good/bad. Good when you want maximum light, but I find that if I'm working on something in a close space that it's easy to bump it on something or with your hand and it changes the output.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
--Adam Savage, MythBusters

Posts: 1745 | Location: Red Wing, MN | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:

The Fenix HM23 would be a better fit since it's smaller, lighter, less complex, not crazy bright, and 1/2 the money.

Bought one last night, forgot to apply my darn discount code, oops.

They just emailed me back they are honoring the discount and I don't cancel and reorder or anything. Yea.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Skins2881,

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
How bright do you need it? If not for a spotlight or searchlight, more something to just light up the immediate area without glare, I like the Streamlight Double Clutch. It has a rechargeable battery that charges off a USB port and concentrated and diffused settings. I use mine every day, hard and with grease-covered fingers and have managed to break it twice, but Streamlight repaired or replaced it, I just paid for shipping it to them. Your usage won't be as brutal as mine. It was around $50 on Amazon.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Protect Your Nuts
posted Hide Post
I’d vote for anything Petzl or BD Spot (or storm). I’ve used those models for climbing/hiking/running/caving from desert to sub-zero temps, from being dropped on pavement or 60ft off a ledge, they’ve never failed.

BD Spots (last year model) are currently on sale for $25: http://www.blackdiamondequipme...l#q=Headlamp&start=2

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"deserves" ain't got nothin to do with it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posts: 2695 | Location: VA, mostly | Registered: June 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Want something cheap and effective. I've had this for years, mainly for around the house jobs where I need light and free hands. Not fancy, don't know how it would hold it in harsh conditions/use. But it does the job, and it's not a ridiculous price.

https://www.amazon.com/Dorcy-A...70720593&s=hi&sr=1-2

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Petzl and Black Diamond are the market standards for quality headlamps. They offer the broadest variety and have been in the game the longest.

Petzl = Tikka (US Mil uses)
BD = Spot

There's plenty of others that have gotten in on the game, every hardware store has several gondolas filled with them. Big difference is the quality of the bulbs, the contacts, circuitry and overall design. Get what works for you and your budget.

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
A few years ago picked up at Lowes and love the hands free light output but would like to mention a couple issues that you might consider when looking for one.

Mine has multiple modes. It's really stupid but I didn't realize it at the time as it was an impulse buy. All functions cycle through on one button. I turn it off and on as needed to conserve battery without taking it off and I have to remember to count clicks. I can't see the beam in some modes unless it is very dark without looking at it. Two clicks to my preferred on position and 4 to turn it off. Don't like that. A simple on / off or... high / low / off... or spot / wide / off would be much better.

It also has a buckle on the strap in the rear that interferes with wearing a cap with it.

I know better what to look for next time.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4117 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
Use an Olight H1R daily and didn't know what I was missing until I bought it.
https://www.olightstore.com/h1r-cool-white.html

If you want a brighter light with even more runtime per charge, they have the H2R which takes two batteries (18650).
https://www.olightstore.com/h2r.html

Both lights have the simple magnetic charging. You'll find yourself using this light all the time. They are very handy!

I have and am very happy with the H2R (it only takes one 18650 battery). Adjustable brightness levels, solid build. I used it exploring lava tubes in Hawaii and it did much better than the variety of lights the others were using.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10917 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
https://www.amazon.com/PETZL-H...attery/dp/B07RNMQC9Y

This is what I use for work, lasts forever on low. Micro Usb rechargeable. Low/med/hi/red. Hi is 450 lumens.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I need a nice broad beam, not a spot light, that is comfortable to wear. My use is snowblowing, wearing it over a knit cap or similar.

Sucks getting home to snowblow in the dark. Machine mounted lights work poorly.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Did I read right? 1.52?

The OLight H1R weighs 1.82 oz.

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

The Fenix HM23 would be a better fit since it's smaller, lighter, less complex, not crazy bright, and 1/2 the money.

They just emailed me back they are honoring the discount and I don't cancel and reorder or anything. Yea.
Have you received it? IF so, what are your impressions?

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Arrives Tuesday. Will update this thread.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

It actually came earlier than expected, but I didn't open it until last night.

Very impressed. Super light (both meanings). I wore it for an hour as a comfort test even though I only needed it for 15 minutes.

The light is great for working on things close up, but the dispersion is way to wide for something where you'd need a long throw. Effective range <50'.

Perfect for what the OP asked about though and this will now me my tinkering around the house and grilling light. I'll stick to the big boy I listed at beginning of the thread for work, but this would serve 80%+ of my work needs as well.

Hard to not give this an A or five stars or 9/10. Now to see if it lives up to the great claims it lists for run times.

Don't make fun of my gourmet dinner. No kitchen so I grilled some frozen fish patties and made fish sandwiches. Can't wait for work to slow down or to find a good drywall guy to get this thing ready for cabinets and the rest.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Glad you were impressed.

I won't make fun of your dinner. Unless I'm on vacation you'll rarely ever see a weekday protection photo (i.e. cooking something photogenic) from me. During the work week, it's a victory just cooking something healthy or warming up healthy leftovers. For example, last night I didn't go to the gym after work so I oven roasted something simple, quick, and healthy (pork loin w/ awesome Chimichurri spice blend and veggies) and tonight I went to the gym after work so I nuked the leftovers when I got home.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

It actually came earlier than expected, but I didn't open it until last night.

Very impressed. Super light (both meanings). I wore it for an hour as a comfort test even though I only needed it for 15 minutes.

The light is great for working on things close up, but the dispersion is way to wide for something where you'd need a long throw. Effective range <50'.

Perfect for what the OP asked about though and this will now me my tinkering around the house and grilling light. I'll stick to the big boy I listed at beginning of the thread for work, but this would serve 80%+ of my work needs as well.

Hard to not give this an A or five stars or 9/10. Now to see if it lives up to the great claims it lists for run times.

Don't make fun of my gourmet dinner. No kitchen so I grilled some frozen fish patties and made fish sandwiches. Can't wait for work to slow down or to find a good drywall guy to get this thing ready for cabinets and the rest.

Did the light auto dim at any point? Some of the Amazon reviews complained about that.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
https://www.amazon.com/PETZL-H...attery/dp/B07RNMQC9Y

This is what I use for work, lasts forever on low. Micro Usb rechargeable. Low/med/hi/red. Hi is 450 lumens.

That is what I have as well. Love it.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3758 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
I have 2 Black Diamond headlamps. I think one is an older Spot model and the newer one is the Storm. I have the Spot on my Fire Helmet and the storm for camping- both great lights. I like the fact that you can switch between a high lumen beam and lower lumen diffuse area light for close up work- and both have the ability to dimmed as needed.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3440 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post