SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Pentagon issues warning for non-deployable personnel: 'Deploy or be removed'
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pentagon issues warning for non-deployable personnel: 'Deploy or be removed' Login/Join 
Picture of SIGguy229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
The real question is, why are there military people who are non-deployable? WTF? You join the military, you better damn well be ready to be deployable at a moment's notice.

For most, it's medical. Case in point, a required surgery having an extended healing period. Can't say that's all of them.

I believe this is needed, but the all-or-nothing option is going to create an information and experience gap that will take longer to replace. Not all jobs require one to be deployable.

Posts: 1721 | Location: South.....Carolina | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGguy229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AKSuperDually:
I'm sure this sounds good at face value to most, but there is definitely another side.

First, we don't care for our military well. High ops tempo and lack of funding has literally broken the backs of the people involved. (not the first time in our history) There is some value in keeping some broken people around to train the newbies. "Non-deployables" as mentioned, can be driven from a myriad of minute bullshit. Shot records are one example shown here. Half the time it isn't because the member didn't get the shot, it's because an idiot didn't properly document it. It's always fun getting multiple flu shots in a year...especially after flu season is over. The list of computer based training is mind boggling, and any number of reasons (like doing your job) can trigger a CBT to throw you on a non-deployable list. Ask some AD veterans how long their CBT list is...and how many hours they spend staring at a computer after hours or at home to try and keep the bullshit current.

I'm not sure when the policy ever changed....I've only been out for 5 years now, but when I left it was largely because of a policy like this. Medically, you can't be on a waiver for over 12 months. I wasn't non-deployable, but I was excluded from parts of the fitness test due to injuries sustained in the military. They didn't keep me from doing my job, and they didn't keep me from deploying...but they were going to keep me from re-enlisting one last time to reach retirement. I watched my CSAR unit get gutted by this policy....and all of the experience was gone. Not surprisingly, the unit has been failing miserably since.

Yup. ^^ This ^^

Posts: 1721 | Location: South.....Carolina | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:
Well, not every MoS is deployable. But that's not to say they can't deploy under temp duty in another role but aren't there limitations to that?

Ok, which Army MOS's aren't deployable?

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Damn straight. Gonna be interesting to see how this works out in a setting of taking lower quality recruits to meet quotas.

folks with Gender Dysphoria may have issue with their plan to join the military, get treated for 3 yrs since they would be non deployable during that period.

Anyways...deploy or get out. Go to the field, NTC, JRTC or get out. Non deploying doctors make deploying doctors deploy more. Ask me how I know that.

Posts: 282 | Registered: January 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wasn't there some issue with a female Army drill instructor who was a Command SgtMaj, who touted herself as the toughest, roughest, most-soldierly soldier that ever lived, even had vanity plates on her vehicle with some idiotic slogan...yet, she hadn't been deployed in over 10-years. 2 wars going on and a Senior NCO not going downrange... Roll Eyes

Posts: 14573 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
She was a 1sgt with an HHC CO, although I don't remember her name. Her vanity plate read 'NOSLACK'. The current at the time Army CSMA had only one deployment, and IRRC it was a high level staff position. I'm not defending it, just pointing out that it happens.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
This will get interesting fast.

Similar to my prior restaurant days when I would have employees brag that they got pregnant "again" to keep their state financial assistance, I could point you to more than one female Marine who got herself knocked up to get herself out of upcoming deployments. It became a joke to us that when we'd go somewhere, we'd leave the "womenfolk" back at the shop until we'd get back.

And the dudes who would keep blowing off dental appointments...man-oh-man.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^

We had two girls in my platoon that were basically pregnant the entire time I was stationed there. They each had two kids when I left, both pregnant again and both on their first enlistment. The worst part was that both kept getting promoted despite not qualifying on rifles, gas chamber or even passing the PFT.

Unfortunately according to the article pregnancy is an exception and I doubt there will be any adjustments made for serial pregnancies.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
One year I got my flu shot 4 times. One of the times the corpsman even setup a room in our building and gave everyone the shots not marked on their record. I'd already got my flu shot but I got it again. The next month I got called on the carpet for failing to have my flu shot.

So the folks administering the shots were either unable to read, or failed to mark your shot record?

Every time we went for shots, every one of us checked to make sure that our shot record had been updated!

None of us wanted to take more shots than required, especially the ones that made us miserable for a couple days afterwards.

I remember, not fondly, post injection reactions to tetanus shots, for example.

Maybe my command was different because we spent a lot of time along the E/W German border watching them watch us.

Maybe back in the states, back then, it was different.

But then, I also have to add that the draft was still in effect then, too. We had a lot of draftees assigned to our command, like every other command, and we all did our jobs. They did their time and went home having served with honor and pride.

My personal belief is that we should never have done away with the draft, but that is a horse for another day. Razz

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
quote:
One year I got my flu shot 4 times. One of the times the corpsman even setup a room in our building and gave everyone the shots not marked on their record. I'd already got my flu shot but I got it again. The next month I got called on the carpet for failing to have my flu shot.

So the folks administering the shots were either unable to read, or failed to mark your shot record?

Every time we went for shots, every one of us checked to make sure that our shot record had been updated!

I can't tell you what the issue was. The corpsman blamed the computer program they were using. They would mark our shots down on the paper list they had but I guess they had to transfer the records to computer. This was the late 90's so computers were just starting to become more and more prevalent around base. I do know for sure that some of the programs we used were pretty archaic and the training we received was pretty minimal. I assume the same was true for the medical personnel.

Whatever the reason was though, I was probably classified as undeployable during the few months it took to get sorted out and through no fault of my own. And for a pretty stupid reason.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:

We had personal shot record books that we maintained outside of our military medical files. Every shot you got was entered and dated. They were about the size of a 4"×6" index card, and we treated them like cash money.

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
The real question is, why are there military people who are non-deployable? WTF? You join the military, you better damn well be ready to be deployable at a moment's notice.

Very few units operate like that and even then not all the time. It’s an unrealistic expectation over the course of an enlistment or career to be ready to go at a moments notice, at least for those who have done more than just watch military movies.

While I agree that the purpose of the military is to deploy, there are specialties that don’t call for it.

And service members who are injured in the line of duty should be given adequate time and care to recover and if not, medical retirement / disability.

But the REMFs who shirk duty and do anything to avoid deployments (whether they are deployable or not) need to step up or get kicked out.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
Shot records have been electronic for some time now...not updating the computer is what happens. If you don't have a copy of the lot numbers, dates, times, etc....you're getting the shot again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13939 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you are a Reserve or an IRR soldier and your medical profile is not up to date, it is a nightmare.

First you have to contact HRC at Fort Knox, and then Logistics Health and try to coordinate paperwork, dates, times etc..

It is all an email and voice mail game. It took forever for my stuff to get corrected when I tried to deploy.

I am in the process of going on orders now, and it is taking forever to make sure everything is correct.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AKSuperDually:
Shot records have been electronic for some time now...not updating the computer is what happens. If you don't have a copy of the lot numbers, dates, times, etc....you're getting the shot again.

The booklet is still available from the CDC. I was still using mine as of 2013 when I retired.

https://bookstore.gpo.gov/catalog/

Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
Big Grin Big Grin

Defense Secretary Jim Mattis is expected to recommend to President Trump that transgender people can serve in the U.S. military if they can deploy overseas , a U.S. official with knowledge of the secretary’s thinking on the issue told Fox News Thursday.

The official said Mattis did not want to go against recent federal court orders which ruled Trump’s proposed ban on transgender people serving in the military is unlawful.

http://www.foxnews.com/politic...y-official-says.html

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
^^^

send them all to Thailand Big Grin

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post