SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Holy missing apples Batman! (orchard theft)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Holy missing apples Batman! (orchard theft) Login/Join 
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted
To put this in perspective 7,000 lbs of apples is 145.83 bushels or 18,229 medium apples.

Thieves steal 7,000 pounds of apples off trees owned by Fenton apple orchard

https://www.clickondetroit.com...fenton-apple-orchard

FENTON, Mich. - The owners of an apple orchard in Fenton said thieves stripped the apples off 5 acres' worth of trees, stealing about 7,000 pounds of apples in total.

Officials said a farm in Linden that is owned by Spicer Orchards in Fenton was targeted between Oct. 6 and Oct. 10. The owners check on their crops every four days, so they know the apples were stolen in that timeframe, according to authorities.

Matt Spicer, one of the owners of the business, said 7,000 apples translates to about $14,000 or $15,000.

There were trail cameras out in the orchard, but they are used during hunting season, so they point away from the crops, Spicer said.

Owners found tire tracks in the grass that suggest two or three trucks were used, officials said.

The apple orchard doesn't have insurance because this has never happened before, Spicer said.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
$2 per apple sounds kind of high.
What kind of apples would be that expensive?

Disregard. In the first sentence it indicates 7,000 pounds. Later in the article, it states "Matt Spicer, one of the owners of the business, said 7,000 apples translates to about $14,000 or $15,000."

Posts: 4127 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Heard a similar story about a vineyard having same done. What they didn't steal was trampled or damaged. Entire crop lost.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20807 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bushpilot
posted Hide Post
It's sad that people are so lazy or ignorant they can't plant their own trees or vines. Amazing...we are not in a SHTF situation yet.

****************************************************W5SCM
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution" - Abraham Lincoln

"I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go" - Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1143 | Location: Little Rock, AR | Registered: January 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Firefly Hill Vineyards near Roanoke lost 2.5 tons of grapes in the unusual robbery. The theft resulted in $50,000 of lost wine profits and occurred over nite. The proprietor stated it usually takes six to eight people about six hours to pick through one variety of grapes, and six varieties were stolen that night.
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Heard a similar story about a vineyard having same done. What they didn't steal was trampled or damaged. Entire crop lost.

Posts: 13804 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I hate thieves.

I have 2 peach trees in my backyard.

Every damn year someone gets into my FENCED in yard and takes a lot, if not all, of them.

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
Down the road from me “burp”!!
Just Kidding

Sounds like more than just kids. That’s too much work to pluck that many in a hurry.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
The neighbors at my lot in the county will steal anything. I had an orchard of about 90 fruit trees and a vineyard with three rows with each row being 120 feet long.

They knew which tree had the best apples or peaches etc and would clean the tree in one night. I tracked one thief to the neighbors house but the Sheriff would do nothing.

One year they got all the grapes off the best varieties so I got mad and cut the vines down with a chain saw.

I later expanded the garden area to half the size of a football field and had over 200K daylily plants with 560 varieties. I could have made a good living but no, they started by throwing walnuts into the area and the squirrels started planting them. Next they planted orchard grass and some other kind of weed.

One got caught on the property when he walked within 10 feet of us setting under an apple tree. It took him two years to sell his house and move away. But he still returned and probably was the one stealing apples.

Loudoun County has to be the most corrupt county around. The trouble all started with dogs running loose and chasing deer. The dog warden wouldn't do his job so I got pictures and took them to Court. The dog of one owner didn't have a license or rabies shot. The dog warden didn't charge them so I contacted the Supervisor for my area and he had them charged.

Last fall a neighbor was burning in front of his house with embers shooting 20 feet into the air with no one around watching the fire. It was extremely dry and there should have been a fire ban. When I got home I called the fire department. On Monday I called them to see if they charged the person but they never went out there. So the lady says "Do you think we should go out there now?" What the hell? I am sorry I didn't get video of the fire.

I could write a book on the run ins with poachers, trespassers, thieves, etc. Victims have no rights. In most cases, I was armed but they refused to show me an ID.

Recently, they destroyed six bluebird boxes and killed one of the birds that was on the nest at the time. The only hope is that a bear with take them out one night.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Here is the article that was in Fruit Grower News...another apple thief in Indian:

Sep 27, 2019
Thousands of apples stolen from Indiana orchard.....50,000

An orchard in northwest Indiana recently reported tens of thousands of apples were stolen right off its trees.

The story received attention from regional and national media.

Writing about the incident on Facebook, owner Jon Drummond said he and his wife Robyn had recently reopened the orchard and hadn’t purchased harvest or crop insurance.

“Laporte County Sheriff’s Department, if you guys happen to find these people, can you have them train my harvest team on speed picking techniques before they go to jail!?” Drummond quipped.

He used Facebook to explain to potential customers that the orchard still has many apples left:

“For those who wonder how many apples a tree holds, a semi-dwarf apple tree has upwards of 10 bushels of apples. A bushel is 40 lbs. An average apple is 1/3 lb to a 1/2 lb. We have around 1,200 trees on the farm. That’s a lot of apples that weren’t stolen, so come on out and enjoy the orchard with us.”

https://fruitgrowersnews.com/n...tolen-off-our-trees/

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post