SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Random questions on acupuncture and protein timing
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Random questions on acupuncture and protein timing Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
1) what's the efficacy sensitivity of acupuncture needle placement? I understand conceptually that they place needles along key points along meridians (like liver meridian, kidney meridian). But how exact must the placement be? How do the locate the meridians? Based on some body anchor point (like some joint? Or some vein?)? How do they determine exactly where to place the needle? How close does the placement need to be to the intended placement to have reasonable efficacy?

2) When one is exercising w/ intent to lose weight and build a little bulk, is it best to eat protein before exercising? After exercising? Both?

3) I'm gathering that not all protein sources are the same - absorption of protein varies depending on the source (breast milk, eggs, meat type, dairy, veg based protein, etc). Absorption from breast milk and eggs seem highest. Cow's milk and diary (cheese, yogurt and such) is considerably lower - why the difference? How do they even figure out different protein sources have different absorption rates? I may focus on eggs if this is the case but still trying to figure out what's really correct - 3-4 eggs per day is not bad for health?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12718 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve been doing acupuncture monthly for about 5yrs now. Some points my therapists just sticks implying they’re easy to hit I’d suppose? Others she feels along the meridian until a tender spot is identified, she then sticks the needle on that point. Some she can tell right away, as in there’s a quick twitch or some reaction she can tell, others I provide feedback when there a ‘grabbing’ sensation. Seems as if the hands, feet, face, neck and back she just sticks. Arms/legs and down the torso are the ‘tell me when I hit a tender spot exercises. Neck and back is usually done while I have cups on as well though so that may play into things?

(No help on the protein.)

Posts: 516 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
1) It is done by feel and experience. A good acupuncturist senses the meridian with their finger tips.

2) After, you're looking to replace

3) My Chiropractor who is a fitness/workout/water ski freak recommended for my daughter, who ran track, to drink any protein powder mix from Walmart/Target. He said there wasn't much difference...but to look for the lowest sugar content

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14184 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You are way over-thinking the whole protein thing. Best time is after exercise, within 60-90 mins.

In order to pack on muscle mass you need to: lift as much as possible while eating as much as possible and resting as much as possible.

Dudes in prison get massive "swole" by lifting a bunch, eating a ton of "crap" calories (prison cafeteria swill supplemented by honey buns from the commissary) and sleeping 9-10hrs per day.

You don't need that much protein anyway, 1g-1.5g per lb of bodyweight is fine. Just lift weights at 75% or more of 1 rep max for high volume, sleep 8 hrs a day and eat 500 extra cals per day.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
You are way over-thinking the whole protein thing. Best time is after exercise, within 60-90 mins.

In order to pack on muscle mass you need to: lift as much as possible while eating as much as possible and resting as much as possible.

Dudes in prison get massive "swole" by lifting a bunch, eating a ton of "crap" calories (prison cafeteria swill supplemented by honey buns from the commissary) and sleeping 9-10hrs per day.

You don't need that much protein anyway, 1g-1.5g per lb of bodyweight is fine. Just lift weights at 75% or more of 1 rep max for high volume, sleep 8 hrs a day and eat 500 extra cals per day.

True. Train to failure and consume protein following workout. Lots of rest and water.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5907 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I know that acupuncture students must pass a rigorous test to demonstrate their ability to find points. They use biometrics, for instance a certain point is two finger widths away from a certain joint. Like that. Also the reason they generally work both sides of the body is double the chance of hitting the applicable points at least on one side.

As far as the protein thing, that's a very controversial issue. Maybe you'll want to check out that new movie The Game Changers, which apparently blows away long-held beliefs about protein consumption for athletes. I haven't seen it yet, but it's endorsed by no other than Arnold Schwarzenegger, who appears in the documentary.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16344 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It was not evil that made me dangerous. It was love.
posted Hide Post
Eat real food and just up your protein intake. At least try to get 1 gram per pound of body weight. Most people don’t eat enough protein. Don’t be one of those people. Just keep it simple.

For God and Country,

Shannon

Posts: 1272 | Location: Central MS | Registered: March 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post