SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    iPhone Charging Technology
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

iPhone Charging Technology Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted
iPhone 8 and newer can be charged either through the lightning port or magnetically.

I just received two new iPhone X models today for wife and me. I just assumed (yeah, I know) that there would be a magnetic charging thingy in the package, but nope, just a lightning cable.

My question: Is there any advantage to using a magnetic charger? WOOT! has a Qi charging stand on sale for thirteen bucks. Worth while? Or should I just stick with the old lightning cable?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: V-Tail,

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30640 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
$13 for an inductive charger? Jump on it!

I like them (wireless chargers). Reason: I can keep the phone charged up all the time, as when I'm at my desk it's just as easy to set it down on the charger as on the desk. No need to plug it in every time.

Now if I could only keep the room temp below 96°.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16307 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Wireless charging is just a gimmick to me. You can’t use it while it’s charging so there’s no use in having that feature to me.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3960 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
The only thing I really find practical to charge using my wireless charger are my Samsung Galaxy Buds. Or more precisely, the buds' case. Other than that, I do occasionally place my S9 on the wireless charger, but not enough to miss it if I didn't have it.

For Galasy Buds though I love it. I understand the new apple airpods now have a wireless case. If you had those I'd definitely recommend the wireless charger.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30400 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
You can use the phone while it's sitting on a charger, it's just that you might not want to that way.

I actually don't, but again my habit is to usually set the phone down onto the charging plate when I'm done using it (for the moment).

It really depends on the user and their usage habits.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16307 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Advantage theoretically is less wear and tear from mechanical insertion and removal of that iPhone plug but that’s like scraping a few molecules off each time.

Disadvantage is higher power consumption to charge. Every time you transform energy/electricity, the best you can do is 50% efficiency. But electricity is cheap unless you’re a tree hugger.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19637 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Wireless charging of my iPhone X would have little advantage for me. I have a lightning port expander that plugs into my iPhone, providing two lightning ports. I have a power source plugged into one port and my earbuds plugged into the other so I can listen to classical music from various Internet sources (while I browse the web on my iPhone). Doing just that right now.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8925 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I use the magnetic all the time. Rarely use the port. I use a stand type charger and have one at home and at work. Much prefer it.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I use a stand type at home and a clamp one in the car. Charges while I’m driving or around the house. If I need it, I can pick it up without having to unplug anything.

I actually have the fast (usb-c to lightning) cables and bricks for home/car in case it’s low and I need a fast charge but it’s rare I let my phone get that low. I just bought another wireless car one for my car at work.

Two of us share a car and he can use it too so I made him pay for half of it.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8008 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Limits case choices unless you want to remove case for charging. Needs to be a thin non-metallic case. HD protective cases like Otterbox are too thick and charging won’t work.

Got a magnetic phone holder for the car? Pick one or the other- metal plate on/in the phone/case will not allow for wireless charging.

That said, I do use a wireless charger. Had to buy new holders for the cars though as we had been using the magnet ones.

Here is the one I got on Amazon, very sleek and $16.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod..._title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Be advised most of them do NOT come with the wall wart power brick. Just the charger and cord. Need to supply a QC3 or whatever power source at additional cost if you don’t have one.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10924 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
My iPhone 8 charges fine through a Magpul case. I've heard the Otterbox is usually OK as well.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Sabonim
Picture of Wayniac
posted Hide Post
My Xr charges through a Lifeproof case.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride! ~Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 1438 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one on my nightstand for my Xs. I like it because if the phone rings, or the alarm clock goes off I can grab the phone half asleep without fiddling with a cord that gets yanked out of the phone or etc,.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Have a wireless mount in the car. Far easier. Lightning cable on the nightstand.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25405 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Have a wireless mount in the car. Far easier. Lightning cable on the nightstand.

Yes, i have one in the car too. Very convenient. It's nice not fumbling for a cable when driving.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30400 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I charge my iPhone X wirelessly at night and also in my car as it has a spot to set my phone. I have an otter box case that causes no problem.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4221 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Additionally, cars like the newer Honda Accords have in dash wireless chargers now. I believe since 2018. I'm guessing that there are other car manufactures that also have this feature also.

That said, I actually use both, wired and wireless. Just whatever's convenient. I haven't noticed a difference in charging times or part/full charge difference. I believe I purchased my wireless charger off of Amazon.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Each type of charging has its uses. Lightning cable for overnight or charging, inductive for desktop while working and doing stuff around the house where easy pick up is advantageous. I rarely use my phone for surfing or playing games while it’s plugged in- that is the single greatest destroyer of cords you could engage in no matter whose cord you use.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15551 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
Wireless, you wont go back.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4580 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wayniac:
My Xr charges through a Lifeproof case.

My Xr charges through an Otterbox Defender with no problem.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6483 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post