SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone Got FiOS? Recommendations Sought
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone Got FiOS? Recommendations Sought Login/Join 
Picture of fpuhan
posted
Hey everyone, I'm purchasing a new home and it's already geared up for FiOS. My current digs are DirecTV for television and Comcast XFinity for Internet. I run a pretty wired home (multiple TVs, computers, iPads, etc.).

Verizon makes it next to impossible to shop for their services. They offer "bundles" that include both Internet and TV, but I can't find what channels are offered in the different packages, and I'm not sure of the Internet speed I need. Oh, my main television is also a "smart" tv that allows me to directly dial in to Netflix and Amazon without having to go through DirecTV.

So, I'm thinking either the 100/100 or 150/150 Internet plan, and the ExtremeHD TV plan.

Does anyone have any experience, tips, cautions or advice? When I stack everything up (including premium channels), I'm looking at over $200/mo. That astounds me, but then I calculated what I pay to DirecTV and Comcast, and I would actually save money. Of course, there's the fine print about equipment and wire leasing, taxes, and the "air bubbles" they don't talk about, so I'm looking for feedback from folks who have been there, done that, and gotten the t-shirt.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Assault Accountant
Picture of 12GA
posted Hide Post
We have the 150/150 plan but went with their basic plus Sports TV package.

Be aware that older devices will not be reaching those 150/150 speeds. We have a couple old tablets and an old home computer that don't benefit from the package. The new iPhones do though and we've been pleased overall.

Posts: 2583 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
fp,

I have had FIOs for many years. From a technical standpoint - reliable service, consistency and quality, I could not be happier with FIOs. I love it. I can't remember the last time the service was down. I have 60/60 upload and download speed - and find it serves the needs of 4 just fine - including 4 PCs, 4 smart phones, a couple of tablets, even an exercise bike that is Internet equipped. 150/150 is a massive amount of bandwidth - I don't think the average person needs nearly that amount unless you are doing something special. But if the price is reasonable, go for it.

As for channels, I think we have Showtime and Cinemax, and all the basic channels. This is the problem with FIOS that you have discovered- it is really hard to understand the offerings and pick which one is best for you. Then when you add in the bundled services - Internet, Phone, TV, etc., it's very hard to figure out whether you are getting a good deal or not.

But from a technical point - quality and consistency of service on both Internet and TV, I could not be happier.

Posts: 944 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: February 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Around here, dishnet tv is much better than direct tv. More channels and less cost after direct tvs initial low price to hook you. Not sure how it is in your area though.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
My comments echo those of btanchors. From a product side, I have been very happy with FiOS for nearly a decade now. Of course, Verizon's customer service sucks donkey balls, but they are still marginally better on that front than Comcast.

I don't recall having much difficulty figuring things out when I was initially signing up for service, but now that I'm recently looking at upgrading my service and modifying my contract for renewal, I do find the process a bit befuddling.

Still better than any other option I've looked at as an alternative.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
My comments echo those of btanchors. From a product side, I have been very happy with FiOS for nearly a decade now. Of course, Verizon's customer service sucks donkey balls, but they are still marginally better on that front than Comcast.

I don't recall having much difficulty figuring things out when I was initially signing up for service, but now that I'm recently looking at upgrading my service and modifying my contract for renewal, I do find the process a bit befuddling.

Still better than any other option I've looked at as an alternative.

-Rob

What they said.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aquabird:
Around here, dishnet tv is much better than direct tv. More channels and less cost after direct tvs initial low price to hook you. Not sure how it is in your area though.

Satellite service is off the table. I currently have DirecTV, but my new home already has FiOS connected to it, and I don't want to put a dish on my roof.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
quote:
Originally posted by Aquabird:

Satellite service is off the table. I currently have DirecTV, but my new home already has FiOS connected to it, and I don't want to put a dish on my roof.

You house if should easily be able to be converted to dish service. The various companies just hijack the other company's coax, disconnecting one and connecting the other. Very simple and included in install cost (if any).

As long as the house is semi modern you should have one point where all cable home runs go to. Then a splitter or media box distributes the service to all the jacks. Changing from one provider is as simple as plugging in at that point or on the exterior of the house where one line goes from splitter to service. In this picture you can see the splitter on the exterior and a dish mounted in the yard. This avoids roof penetration, but trades ugly roof for ugly utility area.

NOTE: The picture is just one I googled on the interwebz. It is actually bonded (grounded), incorrectly. They used a copper pipe (hose bib) for a bond/ground which is against code. It must go all the way back to the electrical grounding conductor (usually ground rods).

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had FiOS for 8 years. Switched from comcrap the second it was available and have never looked back. They replaced our router overnight when it died and our set-top box, also overnight, when it died. That is the extent of the service calls in that time. Never lost TV or internet, not once. We upgraded to 150/150 at some point last year. Basic HDTV with extra sports, I think.

Comcast, on the other hand, couldn't even deliver us tv we could watch or internet we could connect to. After 12 service calls in 2 months (and days with tv we could watch and internet we could reach that I can count on one hand in those 2 months), we bailed.

Dishes absolutely suck. You want the worst internet in the world? Get satellite internet. Want unreliable tv? Ditto. My BIL is stuck with both because he lives in the boonies and can't get anything else, but he'll drop it for absolutely ANY other tv/internet service the second it's available.

Sig P226 .40 S&W
Sig SP2022 9mm
RIA 1911 Gov't .45
...and more

Posts: 719 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
We have Verizon/FIOS as our provider, but our plan is no longer listed on their site. Switched from Comcast. (No Time Warner/Roadrunner here). I just ran these speed tests this week.
(*Keep in mind that the only reliable test as far as your ISP is concerned is the wired/ethernet speed. Wired is their environment, wireless is considered yours). Fios experience is very good after three years of service-

I did these tests using Verizon’s own speedtest page. You can do any one you want as long as you consistently do all testing sequences using the same test.

WIRED Speed: (Alienware Aurora R4 ethernet direct to router, iMac i7 ethernet direct to router test similar)

83.74 MBPS Download
89.41 MBPS Upload

WIRELESS Speed: (2 Band, three year old Apple Airport Extreme “N” Router. Also have repeater) Don’t have AC Protocol.
Wireless tested using Macbook Pro 2.8 GHZ i5 laptop with 16 GB Ram

2.4 GHZ Band

31.35 MBPS Download
54.35 MBPS Upload

5 GHZ Band

45.59 MBPS Download
63.56 MBPS Upload

I like TW- we had Roadrunner from 1997 (when it was first offered there in Wilmington NC) through multiple storms/hurricanes and never lost service when the power went out. Same for living in the icebox of Western NY. Never lost Roadrunner even during blizzards, ice storms and power outages. Worst we experienced was 10 days without power after a hurricane by the waterway in Ogden, Wilmington where multiple trees fell on power lines in our area and it took that long to restore power.

Matter of fact from those experiences I set up a dedicated 1000w UPS on the modem and router so no matter if power goes off you still have wifi/internet and at the power draw rate for those two items, it’s good for about a week.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
Your replies have been very helpful. Keep 'em coming!

Just for the record, I do NOT want a satellite dish. I have DirecTV now, and while I have no major complaints with the service, it's a personal choice to not was to put one up.

As for Internet, I spent a horrific amount of time on XFinity's web site trying to get my arms around my own frickin' account! At long last, I found that I have a measly 25/5 plan, which is why I have been routinely frustrated with my connection speed. But that suggests that I don't need to look at the 150/150 offering from Verizon.

They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
Another happy FIOS customer in NoVa here. Hated Comcast and Cox. But FIOS has been pretty good. And they used have the channel guide online for the area your in.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
I mentioned that our FIOS plan wasn't on Verizon's site. It was 75 MBPS internet/combo for $99.99. (Preferred TV, land line, FIOS internet). Now I think Verizon lists 50 MBPS as basic and 150 MBPS as higher-tier.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
FiOS has been fantastic. Only two outages in a very long time; one was a failure of my terminal box, and they had it replaced the next day. The second was because someone actually cut, pulled up and stole the fiber from the street. Definitely something out of their control and we've never figured out why someone did it. Maybe they thought it was copper.

I switched to Xfinity because they said they'd give me a better deal. The service was so horrid, especially the TV, that I only stayed with them for a few days.

Part of my last job was managing our DirecTV infrastructure including installing dishes. If I never have to see another one it'll be too soon.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Im ready to dump Fios once this contract is up next month for comcast. We have had issues with our main cable box. We are on the 3rd one now. It just gets whacky and will do random things. When going through the guide and selecting a channel it will randomly start recording. My favorite is when the cable box mutes itself, the cable box not the tv. I have no idea how to unmute so I have to turn the box off and back on.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
I had a box go a little berserk also. What it did was give random artifacts through the video and it would affect audio as well. Did it across channels. Did it about twice a day at random times.

They ran a signal strength test (OK) and determined that it was the box. I had to return it to that lovely downtown Pittsburgh location.