SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    ATF "Interpretive Change" (i.e., not a formal rulemaking or statutory change!) Restricts Handgun Imports and May Require NFA Registration
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ATF "Interpretive Change" (i.e., not a formal rulemaking or statutory change!) Restricts Handgun Imports and May Require NFA Registration Login/Join 
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
One additional thought here; I believe the pressure ATF is bringing to bear is on manufacturers not citizens. If a broad finding or rule is issued that directly affects individuals vs. the companies making these firearms, that's a morass if circular logic and a house of cards. I firmly believe ATF is using it's charter to regulate the firearms industry here vs. making broad rules by fiat that makes any current AR pistol or AK pistol with brace a felon in violation of the NFA by posessing what yesterday was a non-NFA firearm and tomorrow is an AOW. They don't even meet the definition of AOW which is the precise language in the original legal posting.

Time will tell and also firmly believe the current ATF leadership is leaning into a Democratic sweep next week....certainly appears to be coordinated wtih other Bloomberg/Everytown/MDA efforts by way of language and focus.

Posts: 3079 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
One additional thought here; I believe the pressure ATF is bringing to bear is on manufacturers not citizens. If a broad finding or rule is issued that directly affects individuals vs. the companies making these firearms, that's a morass if circular logic and a house of cards. I firmly believe ATF is using it's charter to regulate the firearms industry here vs. making broad rules by fiat that makes any current AR pistol or AK pistol with brace a felon in violation of the NFA by posessing what yesterday was a non-NFA firearm and tomorrow is an AOW. They don't even meet the definition of AOW which is the precise language in the original legal posting.

Time will tell and also firmly believe the current ATF leadership is leaning into a Democratic sweep next week....certainly appears to be coordinated wtih other Bloomberg/Everytown/MDA efforts by way of language and focus.

Maybe, but I wouldn't bet our 2A on this assumption. If anything, I see it as a 2 phase strategy, go after manufacturers first, which lays the ground work for going after individuals afterwards.

2 words for you. Bump. Stock.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Where is the NRA on all this???

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ersatzknarf:

Thank you. In my haste I forgot to include the NRA in my previous suggestions for who should be contacted regarding this issue. I'll edit my previous posts to include them.

The NRA was on the Honey Badger brace issue a few weeks ago, but I'm guessing this latest ATF re-interpretation is so recent that they are still studying it and ramping up their response.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
I did reach out to two NRA board members I'm linked up with specifically about this. They just wrapped a meeting last week so most are getting back to their day jobs this week.

Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
quote:

How'd that go with bumpstocks? Lets keep them out of this one.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3641 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David W:
quote:

How'd that go with bumpstocks? Lets keep them out of this one.

So don't let an organization that wants to protect our 2A rights assist? Ruh? Is your nose still on your face?

'Live long and prosper'

Posts: 3921 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
So how does the NRA affect these arbitrary decisions made by bureaucrats at the ATF?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
So how does the NRA affect these arbitrary decisions made by bureaucrats at the ATF?

they work the responsibly oversight committees

Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
NRA is the big dog in the fight and I'm counting on a swift and decisive response from them, but this issue falls right in the wheel house of FRAC as well. I'm not sure if they are operational now, but this would be dandy time for them to step into the fray and demonstrate whether they are an organization worth supporting.

Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:

they work the responsibly oversight committees

In that case, yeah, the NRA should be doing something.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
Everyone this effects should be brought into a class-action lawsuit against the BATFE. Is that possible? I feel like lawsuits brought by individuals can be limited in their reach.

I support Gun Owners of America.

Posts: 11158 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post