SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Best work boots money can buy?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best work boots money can buy? Login/Join 
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted
The boots on my feet are 15 years old. Been re-crafted twice I think. Vibram soles are still in great shape, but I can tell the support is gone.

If I were to buy a new pair to replace these, I need:

Extra wide
All black
Leather
Breathable but water resistant

What boots will last me the last 15 years of my career? Or should I just be sending these back in? They aren’t anything fancy, just well made Bates leather jump boots with side zip. Certainly got my money’s worth. But willing to drop coin for a better pair as a long term investment.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Not sure what kind of work you do. Take a look and Thorogood.

Another high quality boot is White and another although not sure they make what you need is Schnee. Excellent boat.

Oh, do check out Hoffman in Northern Idaho. They custom make some great boots and very reasonable prices. A great shop.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Patrol sergeant. Often on my feet for hours at a time, the infrequent foot chase still.

Never been a fan of cheaply made, glued, rubber/plastic throw away boots.

I’ve got a pair of Nike jungle boots, Bates goretex boots, and Corcoran Marauder boots, but F Nike, and the others are too narrow for extended wear.

Danners are too narrow as well.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
You probably know about Thorogood. They are a well respected police boot maker.

I would not discount Hoffman. Their boot makers are A+imho

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
Patrol sergeant. Often on my feet for hours at a time, the infrequent foot chase still.

I’ve got a pair of Nike jungle boots, Bates goretex boots, and Corcoran Marauder boots, but F Nike, and the others are too narrow for extended wear.

Have you looked into insole supports? For a while, I thought my feet were getting wider, but really, it was my arch falling and causing my feet to over pronate and flatten out. The side effect is that I needed wider shoes. I then started putting in insoles with aggressive arch support (Superfeet) and I now fit back into my narrower shoes and my feet feel better in general.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:

Have you looked into insole supports? For a while, I thought my feet were getting wider, but really, it was my arch falling and causing my feet to over pronate and flatten out. The side effect is that I needed wider shoes. I then started putting in insoles with aggressive arch support (Superfeet) and I now fit back into my narrower shoes and my feet feel better in general.

Though good advice, I inherited my feet from my mother, who could bare-foot ski with ease. Probably not very lady-like Wink

Anything less than EE, my toes feel like they have been bound.

-JALLEN

Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Danner. If they dont have your size on the shelf they will make it. Hands down the very best quality.

https://www.danner.com/productfamily/tachyon/

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Will also recommend the Danner Acadia. Heavy, well built, Gore-Tex, recraftable, Vibram outsoles. Be forewarned, they wear like true heavy use boots, not the lightweight tennis shoe style boots that a lot of cops like to wear.

I've been wearing Danner's as a cop for years and they have always served me well. Worth dropping the coin.

Posts: 486 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: September 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
15 yrs of constant everyday use... Eek now that's quality.

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
You can't buy better boots. White, out of Spokane, WA.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
Whites Boots

Nicks Boots

Franks Boots

All very sturdy and you can check out the offerings on line. I've dealt with Nicks a few times. Amazing boots and fine customer service.

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigmule
posted Hide Post
Another wide foot fan of thorogood here.
Made in US and they lots to choose from.
The only brand I bother looking at any more.
EEE wide and 4E available.

Here’s the company link to uniform boots..

https://www.thorogoodusa.com/p...ct-category/uniform/

Posts: 2330 | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I wore Danner Acadias for about 11 years and had them resoled once. They are now my yard boots. I switched to Lowa Uplander GTX and could not be happier. I have had them for 3 years and are no where needing recrafted.
It appears they do not make them anymore or have been replaced with the 6 GTX TF.
https://www.lowaboots.com/mens...cal/r-6-gtx-tf-black

This model has a few tweaks including a touch more of a heel and more aggressive tread and look. They are also about $110 cheaper than what I paid for the Uplanders. It also appears these are not resolable like the Uplanders that use a Vibram sole. Likely the reason for the lower price.
I am not big on polish and these have never had polish on them. I use mink oil and it gives them a nice low luster shine. We are hot in the middle of mulch fire stomping season so it has been a few weeks since I have cleaned them up. This is my left boot which hits under the dashboard of the cruiser hence the light toe scuffs but with a mink oil treatment they are gone.
I’ll clean them up later tonight and post a better pic. It is community helpers week at one of the schools tomorrow so I’ll be hanging with the kiddos for part of the day. So I clean up a bit extra for them.

I have another set of Lowa Zephyrs for hunting, hiking, and the outdoor needs. I have had them for about 5 years now (granted not daily wear) but they have been beat on something solid.
I got the sage colored suede and blood stains don’t come out.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25356 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Thorogood.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
I've had very good luck with Danner. My work environment is very harsh on boots and Danner boots have lasted longer than any others.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9357 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

My wife wore only Danners when she was working either patrol or K-9. When she was horse mounted or motor, it was knee high black boots, not Danner. I have two pair of Danners, had them for years. When they switch manufacturing of some of their boots to China, I tried a pair and they didn't last a year. I will only buy the USA made Danners, the stitchdown variety that can be rebuilt. Neither pair of mine has needed that, but I don't wear mine on a daily basis.

If you buy your Danners directly from them, they come with a no hassle return/exchange, and the return is on their dime. The only stipulation is you don't wear them outside before returning. You can buy them other places, slightly cheaper, but Danner's return policy makes it easy to check the fit before you commit to a style/size.

I've never tried them, but have heard high praise also for White boots

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I'm a fan of Danner Strikers and have 2 pairs, a 4" and 6" and they are comfortable out of the box and wear like iron. Whites from my neck of the woods (Spokane) have a great reputation and they customize their books to fit your feet.

I wasn't aware that Danner will customize a pair of boots as HayesGreener mentioned. That being the case I would go with them, hands down.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bassamatic:

This

Custom built for your foot

Even smokejumpers can’t break them

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6218 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Danner Fort Lewis boot, available in EE Width. About $390. Wore mine for many years without any issues.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snwghst:
quote:
Originally posted by Bassamatic:

This

Custom built for your foot

Even smokejumpers can’t break them

I love White’s and have 3 pairs, their lace-up Packer, a pair of buffalo hide brogues, and a pair of western boots under their Hathorn label. Unfortunately, the line of field boots like my brogues that are just above the ankle do not appear to be available in black—and my assumption is that you probably want/need that color. Too bad, they would be great boot for a police officer. The Smokejumper would be much too heavy. You might talk to them though, and see what they say about a black boot suitable for wear with a uniform.

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post