SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cholula “Green Pepper”
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cholula “Green Pepper” Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
Cholula, the red “Original” version, has long been my favorite hot sauce. I go through a 12oz bottle in about two weeks. About the same heat as Tabasco, but tastes better to me. Also, it’s more viscous, so stays put on my eggs better than Tabasco.

Some time ago I noticed Cholula “Green Pepper” on my grocer’s shelf, but didn’t get around to trying it until recently. I like it! A bit zippier than the red, and a bit more viscous too, I think. But the flavor is much different than the red.

I still like the red better in some dishes, e.g., tomato soup, but the green better in others. Yeah, Green Pepper Cholula gets my recommendation.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8853 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the original Cholula as well. If you're a member of Costco they sell two gigantic bottles for pretty cheap. I also like to use Sriracha sauce to spice things up.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the short writeup! I have the Green Pepper, the Red, and I also keep the lime handy. It's SO good on all things chicken.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9144 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I liked Cholula, but then my "heat tolerance" surpassed it to the point it isn't even hot to me anymore.

Then I discovered Tapatio. Similar flavor to Cholula (less viscous though) and much higher "heat".

Don't know what I'll do if I reach the point that Tapatio becomes bland...

My wife thinks I've burned out my "heat receptors" Big Grin

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tapatio is pretty good!

Posts: 5691 | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Cholula sent me a few coupons for free bottles a while ago when I got an off tasting bottle. I tried the green just for the hell of it. It’s now a staple and I use it as much as the red.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12406 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Its the basic go to hot sauce in our casa (Red)

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
We like the Lime on fish tacos and in Bloody Mary's

Posts: 1472 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love Cholula regular....
The Green is OK....
but my new favorite is CHOLULA CHIPOTLE!!!!!

Yes, that is a real thing. Not available in every store, though, I notice.

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Haven't tried the Green Pepper. Do Like the original. Went to the web site. The Sweet habanero looks like it will be good on wings.

Posts: 1562 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw Cholula Chipotle on the shelf the other day. I'll give it a try when I finish the current bottle of original.

Posts: 238 | Registered: March 11, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The quiet druid
Picture of orion5
posted Hide Post
Get the chipotle. Mild but very flavorful.

o5

Posts: 746 | Location: Roanoke-ish | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yup, I recently got into the green, very good! I buy Tapatio for my regular hot sauce cause it is like 1/4th the price.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Six Days on the Road
Picture of vandrv
posted Hide Post
I’m a fan of all the Cholula sauces. I think my favorite is the chili garlic.

Posts: 756 | Location: The Boulevard of Broken Dreams | Registered: June 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Put the green on your scrambled eggs in the morning. My favorite.

Posts: 578 | Location: East Texas | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been a big fan of the Cholula red for many years....in fact, used some last night on a big plate of dirty rice. I buy it by the large bottles and always keep a spare or two. I like the flavor, but it is not hot to me. I have not seen the green as yet, and was at the grocery store yesterday. I will keep an eye out for it, and will definitely give it a try.

Posts: 6600 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ken226
posted Hide Post
I love Cholula, Tapatio and a few others but my favorite by far is Rads. It's locally made and only carried in a few hole in the wall stores. It's aged and fermented in oak barrels for 5 months.

It's not very hot, but has a distinct flavor that doesn't exist anywhere else. No other hot sauce I've tried comes close.

I believe the green is aged in Bourbon barrels, and the red in new white oak barrels.

We keep a bottle each of green and red in the fridge at all times.

https://rads-sauce.com/#aboutus

Posts: 1563 | Location: WA | Registered: December 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post