SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Which MAC laptop would you buy?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which MAC laptop would you buy? Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
This Fall will make 12 years I've been using the same laptop, a Toshiba Satellite running Windows XP Pro. I like to use things to failure. We may be getting there with my current laptop.

I have had it with Microsoft and their idiocy.

Clearly, whatever I buy, I will be using for years, and it may very well be my last computer.

Let's say that I was willing to invest up to 2000 dollars in a laptop. Which MAC would you buy?

Posts: 107472 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
A few questions.

Will it primarily be used as a desktop replacement?

Occasional out of the house use or primarily at home?

Is weight an issue? see above.

Minimum screen size?

do you have a lot of USB type A cables / devices?

ETA: Link to Refurb Mac Pros

------------------------------------------------

9/11/01 Never Forget

"In valor there is hope" - Tacitus

Posts: 2668 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I migrated from Windows last fall to a 15” MacBook Pro with a half-gig SSD and great display. It is a late 2016 model and I bought it refurbished on the Apple site. It was right at $2,000. I run Parallels on it as I have a few programs I need to run under Windows.

It takes a while to make the transition - especially the keyboard.

Good luck

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4221 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wandering, but
not lost...I think
Picture of brywards
posted Hide Post
What’s important to you in a laptop, Para?

The only model with a 15” screen is the MacBook Pro priced over $2K.

The regular MacBook is $1K-$1500, depending on processor speed, drive size, and RAM.

The MacBook Air is attractively priced and lighter, but you lose memory and storage...so look to spend $ on external storage (unless you already have an external hard drive. You also lose the optical drive, but you can buy an external DVD drive for $78.

Posts: 2715 | Location: West Texas | Registered: January 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
General observations:
  • Unlike those of a few years ago, current MacBooks are not user upgradeable in terms of disk drive and RAM. So, get more than you think you'll need.

• If you're going to do anything that's video intensive -- photo or movie editing, for example, you'll want something from the MacBook Pro series. If video performance is not a factor, the MacBook Air is nice.

• My first choice in buying, is always a re-furb directly from Apple if the model I want is available. Apple.com, scroll down the the bottom of the page, look for "Refurbished and Clearance" in the fine print at the bottom. These are indistinguishable from new retail, same warranty, and you'll save a few bucks.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30640 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The wifey bough a MacBook pro last year with the 15" screen. Paid a little over $1900 for a refurb from Apple. She loves it. I wonder why she went that spendy because all I see her using it for is web surfing and email. I don't think she's installed any apps? All, that aside it is very high quality. I seriously don't think she'll need another laptop for quite a few years if ever. I'm pretty sure this is the one she got: Refurbed Mac Book . Quite a bit cheaper now at $1699.00.

Posts: 7546 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The air above the din
Picture of Aquilon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Let's say that I was willing to invest up to 2000 dollars in a laptop. Which MAC would you buy?

If had to buy an Apple laptop today at $2K, I'd get this one right here. Comes in at $1,999.00. I qualify that by saying I'm only answering your direct question. This is the Apple laptop I would buy on a $2K budget given my needs. If I knew more about your specific needs and uses for a computer, I may suggest a different machine. I needed a new computer recently but opted for an iMac (desktop) rather than another Apple laptop for a number of reasons; I've been very happy with my decision.

Posts: 966 | Location: Virginia | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
It all depends on your needs. When I bought my current MacBook 4 years ago I was editing photos and some video. I needed as much memory as I could get.

I really disliked that Apple had gone to memory that is part of the motherboard and I couldn't upgrade it myself as I had in the past.

Your needs will help decide what you need.

Simple internet use, email etc and you can go for a much less expensive model then if your editing photos, videos or gaming.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16389 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
If you can, hold off for a few months. Apple's WorldWide Developers Conference will be held the first week of June. New laptops are expected to be announced. Subsequently there should be price cuts among the current models/refurbished models.

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
In 2009 I bought a MAC Book Pro 15” with a 512 GB hard drive and 2GB of memory. I upgraded the OS a couple of times until OS X Lion showed up. With Lion I ran into a wall with the amount of memory. Simply not enough to satisfactorily run the OS. Lion would install and run, but it was slow, very slow. The purpose of all of this is the memory. It is very likely, in my experience, that the hardware will outlive it’s ability to be upgraded to whatever current OS is available. It is worth it, IMO, to scrimp on the hard drive and spend on the processor and memory. I’ve got a perfectly good laptop, but nothing will run on it anymore because the OS won’t be supported and I can’t upgrade it. With the original OS, it still runs like a champ. Their hardware is expensive, but lasts.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aquilon:
I needed a new computer recently but opted for an iMac (desktop) rather than another Apple laptop for a number of reasons; I've been very happy with my decision.
Which model did you choose? Are their desktop computers upgradable?

Posts: 107472 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
The 27" iMacs can have memory (RAM) upgraded & internal drive (difficult).

Don't buy a Mac Mini - they were last updated 4 yrs ago & should (?) get an update this year.

Reportedly Apple will introduce new Mac Pros that are supposed to be more end-user upgradeable. Last updated in 2013.

To give you an idea of how to upgrade Macs OWC (macsales.com) has install videos

Hope this is helpful.

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is a good site for keeping abreast of all things Apple.

https://www.macrumors.com

They have a “Buyers Guide” with their opinions on when to buy on the new Apple technology.

https://buyersguide.macrumors.com

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What ever you buy, avoid Hard Drive and go with SSD chip.

SSD is faster, cooler than a Hard Drive and SSD is not prone to breakage.

I'm presently on a mid 2009 Macbook Pro 15" wide screen with a 500G Hard Drive. It sits on a cooling pad with USB powered fan because it runs hot.

My 5 year old 11" Mac Air with 128G SSD is speedy in comparison.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
MacBook Pro
Bought ours in 2008 and it still does everything we need
They're OS updates have been flawless for us

________,_____________________________
*** Wanna make everything electric? Start with the border wall.

We all live for a little while and then die sooner than we planned.
Your way
or
YAHWEH

Posts: 1301 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
A year ago, I went from the iPad to the MacBook Pro since I now need to be able to do spreadsheets and edit documents when I'm traveling. I bought a MacBook Pro 13 inch w/ the touch bar. I really like it. Only downside is that I can't use it below 10,000 feet on an airplane.

I still have my '12 iMac, but lately I've been thinking of getting a big ass screen and port replicator for the MacBook Pro and retiring the iMac.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23200 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
If you want one with the older ports (MagSafe power, HDMI, USB-A, Thunderbolt, SDXC Card), then buy the refurbished 2015 model.

If you are ok with everything being USB-C and requiring dongles, then anything newer will do. I always buy something off of the refurb store. They are exactly like new in every way, but will save you 15%.

There is a 2015 model still available.

https://www.apple.com/shop/bro...s/mac/macbook_pro/15

ETA: The most compelling reason for a 2017 model would be to have a touch bar. Not that the touch bar is overly useful, but it includes a fingerprint reader, making it useful to unlock with a fingerprint and use Applepay online. However, these aren't essential. If you have an Apple Watch, it will automatically unlock the laptop when you get near enough, and you can use the fingerprint reader on an iPhone or iPad to complete an online transaction on your MBP. If you're not totally into the ecosystem, then having the reader on the laptop is useful.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8212 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
MacBook pro 15

0:01

Posts: 4206 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Witticism pending...
Picture of KBobAries
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:...Only downside is that I can't use it below 10,000 feet on an airplane...

I haven't heard this before. What's the story?

I'm not as illiterate as my typos would suggest.

Posts: 3529 | Location: Big city, SW state, alleged republic | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KBobAries:
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:...Only downside is that I can't use it below 10,000 feet on an airplane...

I haven't heard this before. What's the story?
Tablets and smart phones can be used while taxiing and below 10,000 feet as long as they are in airplane mode. Laptops, DVD players, and larger devices that would hinder your ability to exit in an emergency are prohibited until the ding occurs that the plane has reached 10,000 feet (ding occurs prior to flight attendant announcement).

When I used to travel with an iPad, I could start reading something at the gate and if I wanted to I could read until we landed. Since switching to the MacBook Pro, I can't start reading something until we reach 10,000 feet and I have to stow it again when we descend below 10,000 feet.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23200 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post