SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Major drug bust in affluent Georgia homes
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Major drug bust in affluent Georgia homes Login/Join 
Picture of olfuzzy
posted
Georgia police discovered a "highly" sophisticated indoor pot operation in a Gainesville home, where a basement was converted into a greenhouse holding more than 500 marijuana plants, officials told Fox News.

“The photos really don’t do it justice,” Lt. Dan Scalia, who is in charge of the Hall County Multi-Agency Narcotics Squad, told Fox News on Thursday. “Some of the plants were taller than me.”

The home was part of a large-scale indoor marijuana growing network in northeast Georgia, officials said. Five other homes were searched, and authorities said they seized more than 300 pounds of marijuana and more than 1,500 plants totaling an estimated value of $7,168,900.

“It's the biggest drug network that I have ever been a part of,” Scalia said.

The investigation began in early September after the narcotics squad received a tip about a possible grow house in the area. A three-week investigation led them to uncover a major network of interconnected homes, Scalia said.

Nine people have been arrested in connection with the operation.

Minh Luong, 53, of Gainesville; Phi Ngoc Luong, 25, of Hoschton; Henry Nguyen, 48, of Gainesville; Hang Nguyen, 53, of Duluth; and Thao Phoung Nguyen, 26, of Hoschton, were taken into custody on Sept. 18.

Trung Bui, 47, of Flowery Branch; Nam Van Dao, 46, of Gainesville; and Thu Thai Phan, 50, and Binh Van Hoang 52, both of Flowery Branch, were taken into custody several days later.

All nine suspects were charged with manufacturing, trafficking and possession of marijuana with intent to distribute.

Additional arrest warrants were issued for Vinh To, 63; Sen Thi Do, 46; and Dung Nguyen, 47, all of Flowery Branch.

Scalia said the suspects were very stealthy in how they ran the operation – keeping a low profile, being considered good neighbors and maintaining the homes. He said basements were modified with special heat lamps and a custom ventilation system.

“Nothing [suspect] was visible on the outside of the homes,” he added. “The basements were modified to handle the capacity.”

Scalia said the narcotics squad is working to determine how long the network has been operational and where the drugs were being distributed to.

The FBI North Georgia Major Offender Task Force and the Georgia National Guard Counter Drug Task Force aided Hall County’s squad.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017...s-officials-say.html

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
“Minh Luong, 53, of Gainesville; Phi Ngoc Luong, 25, of Hoschton; Henry Nguyen, 48, of Gainesville; Hang Nguyen, 53, of Duluth; and Thao Phoung Nguyen, 26, of Hoschton, were taken into custody on Sept. 18.

Trung Bui, 47, of Flowery Branch; Nam Van Dao, 46, of Gainesville; and Thu Thai Phan, 50, and Binh Van Hoang 52, both of Flowery Branch, were taken into custody several days later.”

Not a L’Quan, Tyree, Bubba or Jose in the bunch. My how the demographics have changed!

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4561 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
Dammit!

Wink

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6845 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
of Flowery Branch.

Irony, Mother Nature's favorite type of humor.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31382 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
I went in to a house here in the Bay Area that had been converted into a grow house. It was probably a 2.5 mil home in a gated community.

The couple had rented it to some Chinese guys.

They had cut probably 100 plus holes total in the ceiling of every room for the grow lights.

The owners had no idea this was going on and were quite distraught.

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3458 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
All those resources wasted on a weed bust. Roll Eyes

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
they had cut probably 100 plus holes total in the ceiling of every room for the grow lights.

That doesn't sound right, at all.

Holes in the ceilings, for grow lights?

100 of them?

In a single room / in each room?

How big were these rooms?

How big were these holes?

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Five other homes were searched, and authorities said they seized more than 300 pounds of marijuana and more than 1,500 plants totaling an estimated value of $7,168,900.

Or, in Colorado, $87.....

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
quote:
they had cut probably 100 plus holes total in the ceiling of every room for the grow lights.

That doesn't sound right, at all.

Holes in the ceilings, for grow lights?

100 of them?

In a single room / in each room?

How big were these rooms?

How big were these holes?

I tried to say total for the house. Every room had holes cut that were probably 8”x16”

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3458 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Still makes no sense. If you were running permanent wiring you'd cut a bunch of 8x8 holes to drill through floor joists. For something like that you'd just strap the wires right on the drywall.

Any idea on reason for holes?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 08 Cayenne
posted Hide Post
Some nice Irish boys.

When my brother moved back into the area the first house he rented had obviously, at some point, had a nursery in the basement. Windows painted shut, a very cheap plastic sprinkler system, poorly wired outlets everywhere.

Posts: 1579 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I guess they were trying to reclaim the vertical space the fixtures chew up (about a foot), and/or control heat better (move lights farther away from plants), and/or grow taller plants in a room with shorter ceilings, or some combination of the sort.

It's goofy, and probably unnecessary - strictly speaking, but at least makes *some* sense. My understanding from reading shit online and visiting various commercial grows in CO is that most would just grow shorter/wider plants, cool the room better, harvest sooner, etc.

It seems like a bubba/brute force decision a fool would make. The dudes I know are professionals and nerds about such things, so my perspective is surely biased toward less bubba solutions. That's a buttload of damage, probably for a negligible gain.

I wholeheartedly support reclassification/descheduling and an alcohol like legal model, and like beer - people ought to be able to make/grow their own at home, even in a rental if cared for, but destroying someone else's property like that is fucked up in every way.

Jerkoffs.

is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
Wait a minute! We read an article not long ago that whitey was reaping the rewards of the weed business, preventing the black man from coming up. I guess them Vietnamese be enterprisin' n'shit. Brotha' can't get a break.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5473 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
All that for weed?
For fuck's sake!
Let's spend another umpteen thousand dollars on going after a kid with counterfeit pokeman cards.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
All that for weed?
For fuck's sake!
Let's spend another umpteen thousand dollars on going after a kid with counterfeit pokeman cards.

In Washington State it's all about the tax revenue. The government hates competition.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Icabod:
In Washington State it's all about the tax revenue. The government hates competition.

This, one thing legalization will do is focus the government on arresting illegal growers, importers and dealers.

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Yeah, it's all about the taxes now. In 2017 Colorado has already surpassed $1 Billion in legal sales in the first 9mos, which generated about $125M in taxes in the same period (there was an article about it in the Denver Post recently, outlining the numbers). And once the Recreational aspect is going full bore in California, many think it'll be 3-5x bigger.

Plus Nevada is off to a big start, no surprise, plus Oregon and Washington, and the rest. IIRC, at present, 29 states allow some degree of legal cannabis, plus several other States who have decriminalize it. There are only a few states left (>10) where it's 100% illegal, with each having gone through this process on their own, choosing to ignore the feds.

It (prohibition) was always a losing proposition, especially money wise, a pointless waste really, costing taxpayers millions upon millions, year after year, and accomplishing nearly nothing with respect to supply or demand (but they had an "enemy"). Now, instead, they can save money via less/different enforcement and collect *significant* taxes from it.

Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
If you divide the number of pounds (300) they found and divide by their $7,168,900, you get $23,000 per pound. I know they claim there were 1,500 plants growing, but how do they convert a growing plant in a dry product and produce the weight and price it will sell for?

No doubt they were big time sellers, but why inflate the prices? They make it look like they put a dent in the market while what comes in the country from Mexico every day makes this grow house look small scale.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Damn! All Vietnamese. Shameful. Roll Eyes

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They have busts like that about every day in CO now, especially in SoCo. Some houses have the first floor cut out with a chainsaw so the plants can grow nice and tall from the basement. They all have very dangerous wiring and end up infested with black mold. Invariably they are cartel from out of state often MX but they busted a bunch of Cubans a few days ago.

Posts: 5405 | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post